New 60-80cc Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your looking for an ALL DAY SAW,,get the MS361,, If you need More Power, and can handle a little heavier Offering,, then go for the Husqvarna 372xp.. either saw will do the trick..:popcorn:

what is your beef with compensating carbs... the way i understand it the only thing that means is that the diaphram opening is inside the air filter.

now, "intelicarb" i do not know what that means....

i think TS has. i think the limiter coils may keep it from reaching its full potential. i think i remember someone mentioning a non-limited coil that could be swapped to a 7900????????

i think TS has. i think the limiter coils may keep it from reaching its full potential. i think i remember someone mentioning a non-limited coil that could be swapped to a 7900????????

Yea a 272 coil i think possibly maybe. . .. .

Yeah Romeo had a write up on one that he did, I don't remember how it turned out.

Last edited:
I didnt miss it , I put my 2 cents in !! I guess I should start saying how good I think the stihls are now days! Naa I cant tell a lie , I don't think they are!!
Just my opinion !! You can have your own that's what makes it interesting!

#1 ???

Yup, all of 'em are good and opinions are like a-holes.;) I had a chance to rip a few cookies with the 7900, sweet saw but it's the first one I've seen in person. Stihl rules the roost 'round here. "Here" being AS and home.

Yup, all of 'em are good and opinions are like a-holes.;) I had a chance to rip a few cookies with the 7900, sweet saw but it's the first one I've seen in person. Stihl rules the roost 'round here. "Here" being AS and home.

Its kind of the opposite around here, you see more Dolmar and husky! Im just giving you sthil guys a hard time you know that! I grew up with stihls and love my 034. Just got started on husky then dolmar and now Im partial to them! Stihl is to many $ for me , 1 dealer within 30 m and he is way out there on his prices, husky and dolmar beat him pretty good !!!

The Echo cs670 sounds like the saw for you. It is very well built, an older very simple design that will last forever. Because of this long standing unchanged design the parts will be easier to find for a long time to come.With the stihl and husky you are paying extra for things not important to you. First being weight to power. Second faster cutting. These things do not really matter unless you cut day in and day out as a heavier saw will wear on you and a slower saw will reduce production. Stihl and husky also have a more advance AV system but again if not used day in and out over a long period of time shouldn't't bother you. This advanced system is also more prone to fail.If you are stuck on stihl or husky a used saw afew years old may fit your list of needs better than a new one.

You also did not mention what saw you currently have. If its in good working order and you plan on continuing to use it may also factor in. I would also look at a shindaiwa 577 it is another long standing, very well built, very simple design and has an after market heavy duty AV system if its an issue.

Almost forgot the 670 is on its way out. You will most likely have to purchase it from a dealer that doesn't move many of them or one that buys in quantity and still has a few. Although the new 680 looks to be almost identical to the 670 and if it is you are just as well to buy it.

Its kind of the opposite around here, you see more Dolmar and husky! Im just giving you sthil guys a hard time you know that! I grew up with stihls and love my 034. Just got started on husky then dolmar and now Im partial to them! Stihl is to many $ for me , 1 dealer within 30 m and he is way out there on his prices, husky and dolmar beat him pretty good !!!

That's cool. All 3 of my local Stihl guys are great to work with. The only Dolmar dealer I would deal with is 1 hour away, or I could just get one shipped to my door step without support. The local husky guy is decent but they only keep a 359 as the big saw, their tech is a nut though, he can carry on a wild converstation. When Stihl lets me down, I'll expand.:cheers:

That's cool. All 3 of my local Stihl guys are great to work with. The only Dolmar dealer I would deal with is 1 hour away, or I could just get one shipped to my door step without support. The local husky guy is decent but they only keep a 359 as the big saw, their tech is a nut though, he can carry on a wild converstation. When Stihl lets me down, I'll expand.:cheers:

You have to almost go with what you got, I have a great husky dealer and a even better mechanic, I mean the best guy I know to work on a saw or just bs about saws! I have a real nice dolmar dealer to but he thinks a 5100 is way over bore but he will order what ever you want. I also have another dolmar dealer 14 m away who is a drunk and should not be a dealer, he gets drunk and then tells you what all your doing wrong! As for stihl , the closest dealer to me is super high, doesn't have a mech and doesn't stock any parts to speak of!

Get the Dolmar 6400. . . . that right there is a saw that will last for ever. . . .as much as I despise dolmar, that is one overbuilt saw and there cheep, pretty much bullet proof (might see if mine can take a 30-06 round), good torque, reasonable power for everyday cuttin, and simple as heck to work on.

-steve

I would second that recommendation. It is about the most overbuilt saw $550.00+tax can buy. It would fill your desire for an older saw quite well with the added perk of way fewer vibrations.

6400=$550.00+
7900=800.00+

Hummmmm... well, we are in one of the many Dolmar voids here in the PNW. Never seen a 7900 in my life. Only ones are the beater rental 6400 Makitas at Home Depot. Stihl? There are over 10 dealers within 45 minutes of here. Maybe 3 or 4 Husky dealers as well. Also a smatering of Jred and Echo and Shinny dealers. But...

Dolmar dealers? :monkey: Might be the best saw on Earth, but you cannot buy one on any shelf around here to save your life. Also Dolmar left the US not that long ago. Not exactly what I would call... what's the word? Consistant or reliable? Hence I would recommend a Stihl or a Husky.

Last edited:
Back