New 70cc Class Stihl.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He'd better figure it out :D It going to be all M-tronic Stihl pro saws here pretty quick.

It kills me when people are M-tronic adverse, we've sold a ton of 441's and haven't had one issue with even one, the biggest customer base are the Amish loggers in our area and if anyone could kill them they could. People don't realize that the test bed was the old MS 280, just one solenoid, instead of both sides.
I've had and have 044's,440's, stock and modded 460's and have took a 461 out of the shop and played with it for about a month, for the money I'll take the 441, I love the 044/440 but you can't the antivibe and smoothness of the 441, I couldn't justify the price difference between the 461 and 441, you could own a modded 441 for the price of a 461. As far as I'm concerned the M-tronics are bulletproof.

It kills me when people are M-tronic adverse, we've sold a ton of 441's and haven't had one issue with even one, the biggest customer base are the Amish loggers in our area and if anyone could kill them they could. People don't realize that the test bed was the old MS 280, just one solenoid, instead of both sides.
I've had and have 044's,440's, stock and modded 460's and have took a 461 out of the shop and played with it for about a month, for the money I'll take the 441, I love the 044/440 but you can't the antivibe and smoothness of the 441, I couldn't justify the price difference between the 461 and 441, you could own a modded 441 for the price of a 461. As far as I'm concerned the M-tronics are bulletproof.

The only issue I have with the 441cm is that the 441 is the ultimate fat-ass saw. That alone makes it an absolute no-no to me, even though they always were quite cheap here, compared to the all orange saws.;)

The only 70cc Stihl I would want is an early 044, but that's just me!

Last edited:
Word at my last Stihl class is that all Stihl pro saws will be going M-tronic. Considering that the whole pro line except for the 461 is M-tronic now, I bet it's next.

Thought a 461 went for the same as a 441cm...maybe that was a 460

I keep hearing that the 441cm is a real fat ass saw. I do not have a lot of experience with big saws and have been racking my brain trying to determine what will be my next saw (70-75cc range). I went to a local dealer who sells them all (Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, Echo) and started picking them up and getting a feel for them. The 441CM felt more natural in hand than the 576XP and the 372XP. It was leaps and bounds lighter than the ms461 and the 395XP on the shelf as well. I can not make up my mind. I love Husqvarnas, but the 441cm continue to impress me. I may just have to keep waiting to see if the 576XP replacement will be a tie breaker.

I keep hearing that the 441cm is a real fat ass saw. I do not have a lot of experience with big saws and have been racking my brain trying to determine what will be my next saw (70-75cc range). I went to a local dealer who sells them all (Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, Echo) and started picking them up and getting a feel for them. The 441CM felt more natural in hand than the 576XP and the 372XP. It was leaps and bounds lighter than the ms461 and the 395XP on the shelf as well. I can not make up my mind. I love Husqvarnas, but the 441cm continue to impress me. I may just have to keep waiting to see if the 576XP replacement will be a tie breaker.

I only have just a smidgen of trigger time on one of those 441 mtronics, but it was smoooth as silk and started as easy as anything and had plenty of power. And that was a 100% stock saw.

With that said, I would think any pro 70 cc class saw is totally acceptable.

Stihl Dealer support is non-existent for 100% of all the dealers I've been to. Sell you another saw or charge you $55-$75/hr for repair and exorbitant part prices. Pick the bum rush of your choice. The only thing i will give stihl is that they are the only saw manufacturer with the "west coast" style clutch cover that helps when noodling.
Husqvarna 576xp AT has an open cover.

The west coast cover is just longer down to deflect chips away from the user more. The space in there is the same. For a lot of noodling I prefer the smaller cover.

I concur. The bigger cover is designed to keep your fingers out of the chain and sprocket while your left hand is on the bar side if the 3/4 wrap handle. Both covers will plug or clear noodles and chips the same.

tyjuvady.jpg

Before I bought my MS441RCM, I talked to a few local dealers and one of them said he does not carry the m-tronic saws because the people that buy these size saws want something that is tried and true, mainly loggers(that was last year, he could be selling the crap out of these now). I think they might be right to some extent. These m-tronic saws have not been out long enough to see how well they hold up after years of use. How long have they been out?

That is what had me on the fence about buying this saw. I wanted a saw that will give me years of trouble free service. I am not sure this saw will do that for me especially with how we use it. And when something does go wrong with the m-tronic part, it could get really expensive. Don't get me wrong, I love the saw and would not hesitate to buy one again but I am just a little worried about years down the road. When I buy something, I intend to keep it for a good while.

Before I bought my MS441RCM, I talked to a few local dealers and one of them said he does not carry the m-tronic saws because the people that buy these size saws want something that is tried and true, mainly loggers(that was last year, he could be selling the crap out of these now). I think they might be right to some extent. These m-tronic saws have not been out long enough to see how well they hold up after years of use. How long have they been out?

That is what had me on the fence about buying this saw. I wanted a saw that will give me years of trouble free service. I am not sure this saw will do that for me especially with how we use it. And when something does go wrong with the m-tronic part, it could get really expensive. Don't get me wrong, I love the saw and would not hesitate to buy one again but I am just a little worried about years down the road. When I buy something, I intend to keep it for a good while.

I am not stihl fanboy, but I read all the threads here, and don't recall a "failed mtronic" thread yet. Might have been one, but right off hand I don't remember one. Not sure if the pro loggers/firewood guys/tree climbers all read the chainsaw forum religiously or not, but you could just ask in a new thread "How long has your 441mtronic lasted in day to day *professional* use".

Basically both stihl and husky are eventually going to have all their stuff some sort of electronically controlled, so very quickly now, the point will be moot if you want a brande new saw. Personally, I would trust a well built good solid state device over my crappy ears in tuning! HAHAHAHAHA I go to where the H sounds good, then a scosh richer for insurance. That is not a real good tune, but it is the best I can do right now.

I am not stihl fanboy, but I read all the threads here, and don't recall a "failed mtronic" thread yet. Might have been one, but right off hand I don't remember one. Not sure if the pro loggers/firewood guys/tree climbers all read the chainsaw forum religiously or not, but you could just ask in a new thread "How long has your 441mtronic lasted in day to day *professional* use".

Basically both stihl and husky are eventually going to have all their stuff some sort of electronically controlled, so very quickly now, the point will be moot if you want a brande new saw. Personally, I would trust a well built good solid state device over my crappy ears in tuning! HAHAHAHAHA I go to where the H sounds good, then a scosh richer for insurance. That is not a real good tune, but it is the best I can do right now.

I realize that but how long have these types of saws been out? I also realize that everything is going to be controlled by electronics and I for one, do not like it. It just makes things more complicated for the people that work on them.

Back