New Chainsaw for Integrity Tree and Yasha! NEED HELP. Thanks!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yasha

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I finally bought a new chainsaw... A 390xp with a 28" TechLite Bar!

I must be one of the most patient men on the planet because I got it on August 5th, 2013 and and I havent even ran it yet!!! The company I bought it from sent me THE WRONG BAR! They sent me a .058 gage instead of a .050 gage! (With appropriate chain)

They then sent me the right gage, but the WRONG BAR again!! This next one wasn't the TechLite bar, but the regular Husky bar.

My question is: Do I need to change the spline or sprocket or anything else on the saw to make it work correctly?

Also, if I decide to keep the .058 gage and put it on my 3120, can you swap back and forth without changing anything? Also, let's say I'm stumping and I want a beefier chain and want to run the .058 on the 390xp, can I just switch out B/c without changing anything else? I've asked dealers and techs around here and I'm getting different answers. EveryBODY around here just runs .050 or .043 gage. Couldn't find any .058 gage anywhere. I guess I could order a bunch, I just never have.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

Are both saws 3/8ths pitch? The bars you have 3/8ths? The chains 3/8ths? if so, any correct bar/chain combo (50 or 58 gauge) will work on either saw. if one has a 404 drive sprocket (perhaps the 3120?), no, you can't mix 3/8ths with that, unless you change the sprocket.

Bars/chains/drive/nose sprockets need to match. Bar mount pattern must be correct as per saw.

As long as the pitch of the chain matches the sprocket on your saw, you are good to go. You then just need to run the correct gauge chain the matched the bar (i.e. .050, .058 or .063. The sprocket doesn't care what gauge chain you run.

However, I would only a gauge that is readily available locally as at some point you will need new chain(s).

Thanks to you both, but...

Yeah, that's what I thought, but when they sent me the second bar and chain something odd stuck out to me.

The second bar was not a TechLite as I stated earlier. It was a regular Husky 28" bar and the new chain was now the correct .050 gage. But, here's the kicker:

The new chain has 93 Drive Links; the old .058 gage had only 92 DL.

I measured the bar and they're exactly the same length. The TechLite is just a tad wider (@ 1/8 of an inch) in the middle region of the bar, same width on both ends.

So... If pitch is the length of the link and the bar is pretty much the same, then why the extra link? That's what got me thinking, "Should I change the spline on the saw?" I was also concerned about the thickness, but it looks wide enough you could almost stick a .063 gage in there. Lol.

And when they change gage does the whole link get bigger making the pitch have sort of variance?

BTW, I arrived home late from work tonight and the new bar is in and it's the correct one! Yay!!!

Also, the spline on the 58 gage 390 saw looked bigger than on my 372xp 50 gage. So, that got me a little concerned.

After measuring them more closely, I think it'll be alright. I just like asking the experts.

:clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts

Back