New echo air filter seal - poor design, dirt getting in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually line the sealing surfaces of my air filters with grease no matter how good of a design they are. My Echo 370 and 680 have pretty bullet proof designs but they still get greased. Even the Husqy 395 does better with a little grease. Wish all brands and all models would go to the automotive style. Crappy air filter designs is the reasons I don’t own a lot of saws, including the impressive 59cc Echos.

My Stihl 362 has the same problem. I think Stihl told some who complained that the fine powdery wood dust wasn't harmful to a 2-cycle engine. No idea how true that is.
I have a 362 M-tronic.
I use it a LOT in my tree service work.
I always put a couple props of heavy thick "oil stabilizer" that is used as an oil adative in your vehicle, I smear it on the air filter flange and smear it around evenly - coating the mating serface were it meets the carb fitting and I smear the outer air filter top ( NOT the filter screen)
I also evenly smear a few drops on the inside of the orange air filter cover and so it "grabs" a LOT of that fine particle dust.
So long as you never get any in the filter " it can't hurt " 😉

I usually line the sealing surfaces of my air filters with grease no matter how good of a design they are. My Echo 370 and 680 have pretty bullet proof designs but they still get greased. Even the Husqy 395 does better with a little grease. Wish all brands and all models would go to the automotive style. Crappy air filter designs is the reasons I don’t own a lot of saws, including the impressive 59cc Echos.
Me too, I use thick viscous engine "oil stabilizer" I also cost the inside of the air box cover

Latest posts

Back