new homade logsplitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kallaste

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have a friend that built a splitter from a 14 hp verticle shaft vangard engine, 50 gal hydraulic tank. Haldex 16 gpm pump . It wasnt splitting near the way it should. Everything checked out ok. Pressure gauge said 2300 psi, turned pressure all the way up on the spool valve and it still had poor performance. Lastly I checked the rotation of the pump. Low and behold it was turning counter clockwise. Do you all think that this is the reason for the poor splitting performance. By poor I mean it wont split a 20 inch across maple or sycamore log. I have a 5 hp honda swisher 27 ton splitter that will splitt just about anything I can throw at it. Anyone have anything I might have overlooked. Thanks Steve.

What size cylinder bore does it have? If they are direct coupled the rotation is correct. If the pump is belt driven ( which is not recommended ) the motor and pump shafts should face each other.

The 60 gal. tank is over kill. The tank must have a good vent or the pump may have a problem with suction. The pump inlet should be below the fluid level in the tank. A filter if the splitter has one should not be before the pump.

Interesting...

what size is the cylinder? If it is a 3" that would eplain the low push.

I rather doubt that the pump is reversed. It would not do anything then!!!

2300 is a fair pressure. It should be enough.

tank is overkill. Engine is slightly overkill. Should work tho....

-Pat

Bypass the filter and try it. Oil filter is a big cause of grief in home-made splitters. Alot of them will vibrate loose because there is no provision in a home-made set up for AV. Not long ago I was treated to a hydraulic oil "bath" when the filter shook loose on a friends home-brewed splitter!:laugh:

Low and behold it was turning counter clockwise. Do you all think that this is the reason for the poor splitting performance.

did you correct it yet?

apparently you need to throw an engine on there that turns in the same direction. when you do that, let us know how it splits....

What size cylinder bore does it have? If they are direct coupled the rotation is correct. If the pump is belt driven ( which is not recommended ) the motor and pump shafts should face each other.

The 60 gal. tank is over kill. The tank must have a good vent or the pump may have a problem with suction. The pump inlet should be below the fluid level in the tank. A filter if the splitter has one should not be before the pump.

Not sure of the cylinder size or how to measure the size. Looks to be atleast as large as the one on my 27 ton swisher splitter. The engine and pump are direct coupled and the engine is turning counter clockwise. When trying to split a large log you can hear the fluid bypassing in the cross spool valve.

kalaste,

To determine the bore size measure the outside diameter of the cylinder and subtract 3/8". This will give the approx. bore size.

If you are hearing fluid bypassing the control valve when pressure is building and the handle is fully depressed the relief is set to low or the valve is defective.

Back