New Husqvarna hand tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one or group in particular. A careful reading of my post shows that I was referring to the "just don't get it" sentiment as condescending BS. And I suppose that although not stated, the implication is that anyone holding that sentiment would therefore be considered condescending as well.

Sorry if anyone's offended, but I'll stand by what I'm saying here. It's great that you guys love the Fiskars. (I sell those too BTW) Enjoy them in good health.

But some of us prefer other tools, and we enjoy using them. We don't need to hear that we don't get it, or don't know how to use a Fiskars. A little more splitting and a little less preaching would be better for all of us. :)

IDK where that statement was made but it wasnt me and I wont hold it against anyone who holds the opinion that they like their traditional maul over the fiskar. Your justification is probably along the same lines as why I still ride a 35 year old motorcycle and keep my 30 year old Chevy K10 dispite ridicule by friends and wife...

I was watching some videos on Utube and came across one in particular and throught the guy explaining why he still liked his traditional tools over the Fiaskar was interesting. He recognized that it might be slightly more productive than his traditional tools but still favored old-school for various reasons and I didnt quite get it until I watched more of his wood working videos and realized he has many traditional hand tools that were passes down a few generations. One of this reasons he didnt like the Fiskar was because it wont develop character like the older tools and that it would never become a family keepsake that would be passed down to future generations... I can respect that.

No doubt there's been broken Fiskars out there. But compared to the broken wooden handled "quality mauls" that you speak of...what, maybe 50:1 ratio? What was the name of that quality maul again?

Lighten up, dude. Fiskars tools are mass-produced items with a large percentage of the cost put into the packaging. They work well for some. Everyone I know around me that's used one has broken it.

If you're breaking hickory handles on a quality maul, that marks you as a noob, like my #1 son on his first day. Check the head shape and handles sometime on a Mueller, Wetterlings, or Hultafors maul, and you'll see why it's so difficult to break their handles. I've tried a couple of them side-by-side with your beloved X27, and I pass on the Fiskars. Maybe you're comparing to box-store cheapies?

Anyhow, lighten up. It's not the second coming. (Fanboys are annoying, like some of the die-hard Stihl-heads.)

Lighten up, dude. Fiskars tools are mass-produced items with a large percentage of the cost put into the packaging. They work well for some. Everyone I know around me that's used one has broken it.

If you're breaking hickory handles on a quality maul, that marks you as a noob, like my #1 son on his first day. Check the head shape and handles sometime on a Mueller, Wetterlings, or Hultafors maul, and you'll see why it's so difficult to break their handles. I've tried a couple of them side-by-side with your beloved X27, and I pass on the Fiskars. Maybe you're comparing to box-store cheapies?

Anyhow, lighten up. It's not the second coming. (Fanboys are annoying, like some of the die-hard Stihl-heads.)

Prior to buying my Fiskar, the last 3 hickory handles I broke were not related to overstrike. Every one broke from a clean hard strike either to a round or a wedge. Thats when I decided to get something that wont break. I guess I could have tried a fiberglass maul from the box store but decided to give Fiskar a try. So far no issues with it and the only thing I strike with it is wood.

Prior to buying my Fiskar, the last 3 hickory handles I broke were not related to overstrike. Every one broke from a clean hard strike either to a round or a wedge. Thats when I decided to get something that wont break. I guess I could have tried a fiberglass maul from the box store but decided to give Fiskar a try. So far no issues with it and the only thing I strike with it is wood.

Sorry, but you seem to have missed my point. To distill it: check the head and handle shape on a quality maul. That materially affects breakage. (There are quality mauls out there, but they're well hidden behind the mass-marketed stuff.)

IOW, the better ones I've seen have a head shape that spreads the split halves to greatly increase the probability that they won't impact the handle. And, the handles are really strong near the head. As opposed to the chicken-leg handles on big-box cheapies.

Seems the Idaho man previously used an axe for splitting his conifers. See a problem with that?

We've go to learn to listen better, all across the USA.

Sorry, but you seem to have missed my point. To distill it: check the head and handle shape on a quality maul. That materially affects preakage. (There are quality mauls out there, but they're well hidden behind the mass-marketed stuff.)

IOW, the better ones I've seen have a head shape that spreads the split halves to greatly increase the probability that they won't impact the handle. And, the handles are really strong near the head. As opposed to the chicken-leg handles on big-box cheapies.

Seems the Idaho man previously used an axe for splitting his conifers. See a problem with that?

We've go to learn to listen better, all across the USA.

I heard you loud and clear and dont have a problem reading when writing it wrote. I've looked at the $100+ mauls and see no discernible difference in the handle on them compared to the ones I have installed on my sledge and maul. Mine did not break from contacting the rounds while passing through the split or from over striking. Based on this I am lead to believe the probability of breaking a handle on the "quality mauls" will be the same as my current tools.

There are different tools for different guys. Sort of like there's a lot of different style beers to drink. We drink the beers we like and we buy and use the tools we like.
True, BUT have you ever tasted a beer that you didn't like the first time, then tried it again and really liked it? I got some home brewed dark beer from a friend last summer. Drank it on a cold evening, bitter as heck. Drank the rest on a hot day, and it was marvelous.

We don't need to hear that we don't get it, or don't know how to use a Fiskars.

Again, different tools for different folks . I am not saying a Fiskars is for everyone (and it's clear it isn't for you). But SOME people (not you) don't give it enough of a chance to see where it can shine. When I got mine last fall and people were saying you need a different swing technique I thought they were full of baloney. But around cord #4 I was cracking rounds in one swing that would take my either of my mauls at least three strikes. Yes some people drink the cool-aid about whatever they own. But a lot of us are objective and will be an advocate for a good product. I shared my X27 with my cheapest tightwad friend and he bought one two days later. To me that is a statement in itself.

True, BUT have you ever tasted a beer that you didn't like the first time, then tried it again and really liked it? I got some home brewed dark beer from a friend last summer. Drank it on a cold evening, bitter as heck. Drank the rest on a hot day, and it was marvelous.

Some times it takes some warming up to like it. First one is skunk, second one starts to grow on you and by the 6th one its the best beer you've ever had... until you wakeup with a hang over.

If it's works as poorly as the fiskars then I'll pass

You must be using it wrong, the Fiskars is one of the best splitting tools out there in my experience. Certainly not a match for everything but it works well in most instances.

the x27 is a cheap pos compared to a quality maul.

It's not the same tool. If the wood is relatively dry and knot free my experience is that you can split twice as fast as someone with a maul with an X27. Additionally, finding a quality Maul these days is tough

These threads kind of remind me of those discussions years ago about the glock pistols. How a bunch of guys where preaching that they would never hold up to use.... Oh well if the product was so bad one has to wonder why it is still on the market?

And yes technique has a lot to do with it and if you donot recognize that after years of working with classic tools that you have "programmed" your body movements to those tools you are alto ignorant of the obvious! It will require time and will to readjust. And yes the design of the head is superior to classic tools.

They are made by a company called Gardena
Gardena is a daughter company of Husqvarna, same as Mc Culloch, Partner, Jonsered, etc.

+1

A few things to add. There is a different swing needed to reach optimum results with the X27. I've split 16 cords with one over the last 12 months after using mauls my whole life. I could notice an improvement from the first swing but the wood didn't really start to fly until I had about 4 cords through it.

Some guys read about it on here and then use one for an evening expecting it to perform magic. When it doesn't, they bad mouth the results. Well to me that's obvious that they should put more time into it before making a judgement.

And as noted Fiskars is NOT the tool for Elm or similar.

I have a neighbor who tried mine and hated it, but he was trying to swing it like a maul and not an axe.

For the Fiskars velocity is key which is why it's light.

Kinetic Energy = 1/2*M*V^2

a 50% increase in head speed can more than double the kinetic energy.

Wow, this is getting silly, so let me make it even dumber. It's amazing how some of you guys are really dug in on the "we don't get it" argument. We lack the "time and will" to readjust. Our bodies are programmed. We are provided with a physics lesson. Why can't you just accept that some of us would rather use a different tool?

If only we could open our eyes and our minds we could see and understand the Fiskars wisdom! Fellow Fiskarites; let us pray...........

All hail the mighty Fiskars;
It's sharp enough to cut your wiskers.

Pity those with mortal mauls;
they have neither brains or balls.

If you use anything else to split;
you just don't know ####!

Amen

I have +/- 3 cords of ash rounds in the yard ready for splitting, if everyone would bring their favorite tool then you all could try them out...just don't stop till its all done. I will be silently observing from a lawn chair and decide what splits best! oh yea 4'X4'X8' cord but I don't want to get this thread derailed...oh wait!

I have +/- 3 cords of ash rounds in the yard ready for splitting, if everyone would bring their favorite tool then you all could try them out...just don't stop till its all done. I will be silently observing from a lawn chair and decide what splits best! oh yea 4'X4'X8' cord but I don't want to get this thread derailed...oh wait!

But what kind of beer will you be drinking?

Wow, this is getting silly, so let me make it even dumber. It's amazing how some of you guys are really dug in on the "we don't get it" argument. We lack the "time and will" to readjust. Our bodies are programmed. We are provided with a physics lesson. Why can't you just accept that some of us would rather use a different tool?

If only we could open our eyes and our minds we could see and understand the Fiskars wisdom! Fellow Fiskarites; let us pray...........

Amen

Give us this our daily bread and forgive us of our trespasses of not using the Fiskars line of Finnish made splitting axes...

I have a x27 and it works well for me on straight grained wood. I found I still have to whack the crap out of some twisty grained logs and crotches, forget about it. There are solid physics behind the X27 design but it aint magic which is why I use my hydro splitter 99% of the time.

Amen

You know all the words to the prayer, we'ere close to converting this one boys! lol

I've heard of guys breaking the handles of the x27 when driving wedges falling trees in cold weather. I bought a nice Council axe to go with my cheaper Truper axes.

But some of us prefer other tools, and we enjoy using them. We don't need to hear that we don't get it, or don't know how to use a Fiskars. A little more splitting and a little less preaching would be better for all of us. :)

Bob,

You can get away with that kind of statement in the Firewood Forum, but it there's no way it will it will fly in the Chainsaw Forum. (And that, was said tongue-in-cheek for those that have no sense of humor.)

As to the whole maul / axe manufacturer controversy, all I have to say is, I really like the one have, made by Timberwolf, just fine. (And that too, was said tongue-in-cheek for those that have no sense of humor.)

Take Care

It's amazing how some of you guys are really dug in on the "we don't get it" argument. We lack the "time and will" to readjust. Our bodies are programmed. We are provided with a physics lesson. Why can't you just accept that some of us would rather use a different tool?

If only we could open our eyes and our minds we could see and understand the Fiskars wisdom!

So if a Fiskars newbie fails to heed the advice of MANY experienced users on technique and writes off the product after it doesn't perform for them, please tell me who the closed minded person is in this situation.

If you use traditional tools because you prefer traditional tools, that is your choice. But then you really don't have a dog in this fight.

Latest posts

Back