New large saw purchase/ Opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How :censored: nice, another "what is the best saw to buy thread?", I guess the 65,000 other threads that cover this topic were missing some info?
:bang:

Guys, must you bash somebody who wonders which saw to buy??? Is this really nessceary. This is a great site, people come here to get opnions but instead they don't even get a decent answer. I personally am getting quite tired of this. I don't care how many times its been covered. Are you all allergic to answering questions or what?? Now to answer the question, I would go for the 395XP, but that is just because I'm a husky person. Both great saws I am sure. Have a great day.

I love my 066/MS660 (mine is the same model except for the tag). Put on the FACTORY dual port muffer front and you have one heck of 7.7hp machine..

I am a husky guy and love my 066. I haven't run a 395, so my comparison isn't the greatest. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

jack-the-ripper said:
I was thinking about purchasing 1 more saw. Between the Stihl MS660 or the Husky 395XP, with only the muffler modded, which saw would be the better choice? :sword:

Welcome to the site. You might try using the search function...theres tons of information on there about what you're asking. Finish your search,get the information you need, and then come back on the forum to fine tune your choice.:cheers:

Thanks to all, with positive replies. I like the side tensioner, not sure why they don't use it on the 395. Pondering if the extra $150 on the 660 is justifiable. Does the 660 have more torque and what is its max RPM's?

i
Wood Cutter said:
Guys, must you bash somebody who wonders which saw to buy??? Is this really nessceary. This is a great site, people come here to get opnions but instead they don't even get a decent answer. I personally am getting quite tired of this. I don't care how many times its been covered. Are you all allergic to answering questions or what?? Now to answer the question, I would go for the 395XP, but that is just because I'm a husky person. Both great saws I am sure. Have a great day.
Woodcutter, you are right. I'm a new member of this site, thought I have followed it for quite a while. It seems that it is difficult to ask a simple question and get a straight answer. I'm almost afraid to ask a question. Some of these guys must think that they have tenure on this site, and think they own it. Maybe we need a monitor to control personal attacks and insulting comments. I've been a follower of this site for quite a while and there used to be four or five guys that no longer post on here that were very informative. Does anyone know if there is an ADULT chainsaw site. Maybe they post there. I would hate like hell to be a sponsor on this site. I'll stand by for the flack that I'm sure will come.

I am not brand loyal, but I favor the Husky brand due to my local service dealer is great to come in and BS with, or buy equipment from. My local Stihl dealer is a JAG, they will charge you more to service a saw that was not originally bought from them. They also act like they are too busy to answer simple questions let alone general BS. I have a 395xp 24" and 36" bars, and I am very very happy with it.

Last edited:
dugide said:
i
Woodcutter, you are right. I'm a new member of this site, thought I have followed it for quite a while. It seems that it is difficult to ask a simple question and get a straight answer. I'm almost afraid to ask a question. Some of these guys must think that they have tenure on this site, and think they own it. Maybe we need a monitor to control personal attacks and insulting comments. I've been a follower of this site for quite a while and there used to be four or five guys that no longer post on here that were very informative. Does anyone know if there is an ADULT chainsaw site. Maybe they post there. I would hate like hell to be a sponsor on this site. I'll stand by for the flack that I'm sure will come.

The reason why these kind of questions get the response they do, is because it has been asked over and over and over, and now he's coming in here to ask it again. The search function has most if not all of the questions he's asking, as they have already been answered in other posts with the same question. People get tired of repeating themselves on the same topic. As boboak suggests, run the search first if it is something that is likely to have been asked already, read the responses there, and then start the thread to get clarification if you still need it. You will get a better response to a question asking for clarifications of what you have read, than you will asking for the same information to be repeated. It's not that anyone here doesn't want to help you, but they would like to see you help yourself to the information that is at your fingertips in the form of previous discussions on the subject.

The search function can return a significant amount of useless garbage to your search if you simply punch in your topic and let it search all the posts in every forum. It will pick up stuff that is completely irrelevant. What I find works well, is to use the advanced search, select only the forum of interest, select titles only, and then have your topic. This way it only picks up the topics with your search phrase in the title, from the chainsaw forum, eliminating lots of junk and frustration.

TimberPig said:
The reason why these kind of questions get the response they do, is because it has been asked over and over and over, and now he's coming in here to ask it again. The search function has most if not all of the questions he's asking, as they have already been answered in other posts with the same question. People get tired of repeating themselves on the same topic. As boboak suggests, run the search first if it is something that is likely to have been asked already, read the responses there, and then start the thread to get clarification if you still need it. You will get a better response to a question asking for clarifications of what you have read, than you will asking for the same information to be repeated. It's not that anyone here doesn't want to help you, but they would like to see you help yourself to the information that is at your fingertips in the form of previous discussions on the subject.

The search function can return a significant amount of useless garbage to your search if you simply punch in your topic and let it search all the posts in every forum. It will pick up stuff that is completely irrelevant. What I find works well, is to use the advanced search, select only the forum of interest, select titles only, and then have your topic. This way it only picks up the topics with your search phrase in the title, from the chainsaw forum, eliminating lots of junk and frustration.

Good post Timber.

jack-the-ripper said:
Thanks to all, with positive replies. I like the side tensioner, not sure why they don't use it on the 395. Pondering if the extra $150 on the 660 is justifiable. Does the 660 have more torque and what is its max RPM's?

One thing I forgot...When you get done wading through all the search stuff come back on here and let us know what you're going to be using the saw for...milling,falling etc. That way we can fine tune our advice...such as it is.

i have an ms 660, that i acquired from a landscape company that didnt take any care of it. all i did was change the spark plug and that thing rips. it eats whatever gets in it's way

dugide said:
i

You make some good points but lets not overlook the good people that still stay here despite all the BS. Lakeside,Thall,Smokechase11,Treeslingr', and many more that I hope won't be offended by not being mentioned give a world of good advice on here. I agree that the confrontational stuff is a drag sometimes but to me,and apparently a lot of other people,its what we have to put up with. We get good information here...we just have to wade through some mud to get to it sometimes. Its worth it. Most of the time.:cheers: Bob

Back