New large saw purchase/ Opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
boboak said:
You make some good points but lets not overlook the good people that still stay here despite all the BS. Lakeside,Thall,Smokechase11,Treeslingr', and many more that I hope won't be offended by not being mentioned give a world of good advice on here. I agree that the confrontational stuff is a drag sometimes but to me,and apparently a lot of other people,its what we have to put up with. We get good information here...we just have to wade through some mud to get to it sometimes. Its worth it. Most of the time.:cheers: Bob

Thanks for the kind word there Bob. I've found ya gotta relax and take it all in stride on the site. True there's always gonna be some fussing and this and that but overall its a good site. Sure you can see from my carrying on I take it all in stride and have some fun in the process. That feller buys a Stihl or a Husky won't bother me either way, I just hope it serves him well. Got no issues at all with whatever brand people choose to buy. As for advice on the brand I sell Stihl so I can't say a whole lot about Husky mainly because I don't know that much about them. Won't knock what I don't know. Hopefully that feller will come on back and chill with us ole chainsaw nuts and realize in between the bull and fun there is plenty of good info.............

THALL10326 said:
Good post Timber.

Thanks, its easier to explain why and help them along, than it is to give them a snide remark or ignore their question and hope they just go away. New members to the site are always welcome, whatever their knowledge level is. Just because they are learning and don't know as much as other members doesn't mean they don't have a place here. The amount of knowledge that is available here is almost limitless, and can benefit many. People do have to be encouraged to try and make use of the archived threads though, as significant information in there will answer many questions they may have. Further discussion of the same topics benefits the forum and increases the wealth of information found here, but exact repetition doesn't really do much but fill the archives with multiple copies of the same. By using the archived threads as a starting point, and then asking further questions, is more likely to benefit the member asking the questions, and those who may later have a similar question, because the discussion is then taken to a further level, and more thoroughly covers the topic. If all that happens is the same questions get asked, and the same answers get repeated, the forum begins to stagnate, and members lose interest. Without the members, a forum isn't anything but a computer bulletin borad with nothing on it. In order to grow and improve, members have to be retained, and new ones recruited.

Well Said!!!!

Wood Cutter said:
Guys, must you bash somebody who wonders which saw to buy??? Is this really nessceary. This is a great site, people come here to get opnions but instead they don't even get a decent answer. I personally am getting quite tired of this. I don't care how many times its been covered. Are you all allergic to answering questions or what?? Now to answer the question, I would go for the 395XP, but that is just because I'm a husky person. Both great saws I am sure. Have a great day.

People are on this site because they have nothing else to do at the moment. Why not answer the questions. This site has more argumentitive, opionionated whiny little pussies than any other site I have visited.

I have had a Husky 384XP for 10 years and only changed the air filter (smaller version of the 395XP). I love it. Stihl is great too. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Who is the best local dealer? That is usually my deciding factor. Good Luck!

kallaste said:
People are on this site because they have nothing else to do at the moment. Why not answer the questions. This site has more argumentitive, opionionated whiny little pussies than any other site I have visited.

Why should people have to repeat the exact same answers over and over because someone can't use the search function, to retrieve the answers to their questions?

I for one have other things I'd rather be doing than repeating myself. I for one have plenty of other things I could be doing, and gladly will do instead of repeating the answers to questions that have already been asked.

If you don't like the people here and can't deal with it, then why come back? If all you want to do is complain about the people who are here, then why do you bother to stay? It seems to me that the easy solution if you don't like it here, is simply to leave. Take it or leave it, the site is what it is, and isn't going to adapt itself to fit your ideas of what it should be.

shucksters said:
I have had a Husky 384XP for 10 years and only changed the air filter (smaller version of the 395XP). I love it. Stihl is great too. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Who is the best local dealer? That is usually my deciding factor. Good Luck!

I'm sure you meant 394 XP, and in that case, I believe the displacement is identical to a 395 XP, with the main differences being in the intake mounting and carburetion.

kallaste said:

Well I never. Your post there has shocked me into disbelief and has totally crushed my sensitive heart. I may have to go into counseling now thanks to you. Oh my I may never get over what you said. Hows dares ya,haha. Oppps I'm over it now. I realized the person who wrote it must be a whiny little pussie himself. I feel much better now, geee,hahahaha

Jack, you are looking at two of the best saws out there right now, IMHO. I've got an 066 myself and love it, and a 3120 on the way, so I'm not blindly loyal. Neither will be a mistake if you need a big one. My 066 isn't going anywhere any time soon. The 3120 will be a dedicated milling saw, and the 66 will do most of the other work.

Question is, where is the closest service, and are they worth anything. My closest dealer is a Husky dealer. Nice people, but worthless when it comes to saws. My next closest dealer is a Stihl dealer who is pretty much on the ball. They still kind of look at me like I'm a freak since 066s are rare in the flatlands.

Mark

TimberPig said:
Why should people have to repeat the exact same answers over and over because someone can't use the search function, to retrieve the answers to their questions?

I for one have other things I'd rather be doing than repeating myself. I for one have plenty of other things I could be doing, and gladly will do instead of repeating the answers to questions that have already been asked.

If you don't like the people here and can't deal with it, then why come back? If all you want to do is complain about the people who are here, then why do you bother to stay? It seems to me that the easy solution if you don't like it here, is simply to leave. Take it or leave it, the site is what it is, and isn't going to adapt itself to fit your ideas of what it should be.

My point is this. If it has been covered before, so be it. No one is twisting your arm to answer Please don't feel you have to.Skip over it and go to the next post. Plenty of people have given advice on the above post and I am sure the guys got some good information now and can make a good purchase decision.
You are correct the side is not going to adapt itself to fit your Ideas of what it should be. And for what its worth the search feature is almost worthless. People can get 10 answers to a question by the time they wade through all the search results

I have a ms660 and it does very good, but i would go with the 395xp. It will do anything you want to do.

kallaste said:
My point is this. If it has been covered before, so be it. No one is twisting your arm to answer Please don't feel you have to.Skip over it and go to the next post. Plenty of people have given advice on the above post and I am sure the guys got some good information now and can make a good purchase decision.
You are correct the side is not going to adapt itself to fit your Ideas of what it should be. And for what its worth the search feature is almost worthless. People can get 10 answers to a question by the time they wade through all the search results

The search function is a long way from "worthless". If you use it correctly and define your search terms theres not much you cant find. Maybe you should re-examine how you're using it before you bad-mouth and alienate people here who could be of help to you.

boboak said:
The search function is a long way from "worthless". If you use it correctly and define your search terms theres not much you cant find. Maybe you should re-examine how you're using it before you bad-mouth and alienate people here who could be of help to you.

Exactly, the search function turns up plenty of useful information if you know how to use it. I already gave details on what works for me in a previous post in this thread. It takes me less time to find what I need to know that way, than it would take to type the original post to ask the question, so that blows his theory out of the water. The problems with the search function are with the user and how they use it, not the search function itself. I used to run the search and give that link, but it now times out so doing that isn't an option.

The funny thing is, the few answers that actually were on topic, were far less thorough or detailed than the information available by proper use of the search function. Either people are sick of repeating themselves, or the difference between the two is close enough, that you can pick the saw by the colour, and end up with a good saw either way.

If you have enough skill to use a chainsaw, you should have enough skill to properly use the search function. It's not hard to narrow and refine your search to find exactly what you're looking for. What I'm hearing from a few is that they would rather everyone else spend their time providing answers for them than to spend 10 minutes reading through searches to find the answers. Seems a little self-centered to me. This is not directed at the original poster, but rather to some of the replies that have followed.

spacemule said:
If you have enough skill to use a chainsaw, you should have enough skill to properly use the search function. It's not hard to narrow and refine your search to find exactly what you're looking for. What I'm hearing from a few is that they would rather everyone else spend their time providing answers for them than to spend 10 minutes reading through searches to find the answers. Seems a little self-centered to me. This is not directed at the original poster, but rather to some of the replies that have followed.

Well said ! The search function does work just fine, when used properly. the answers have already been provided and it is up to the person with the question to make use of them, the rest of us are not obligated to provide you with a personalized reply.

I'd probably go for the Stihl if I wanted to use it on a mill, but the Husky if I wanted to carry it around.

Around here, Stihl support is much better than Husky.

I've had a play with the 660 and I've had a 2nd hand 288xp for a few weeks now. I like the feel of the Husky better. Maybe that's just me.

Also, I haven't dropped anything with a 660 yet. Just bucking some big old logs.

Funny

Real funny stuff . one page of answers to the question and two pages of how to use the search and why they dont feel they should spend there time posting the answer even tho there posting anyway . You guys are a card. The other funny thing is when i first joined the forum i always did a search to my questions ......... the second post of every thread i cam up with said "use the search" or people would go to great effort to talk about the search and how to use it and the answer to the posted question would of been half the effort. HA-HA ! I'm a member of 5 different forums and normally if some one new post the same old question it might get a few answers , maybe a page or two and no big deal . BUT if it happens on this forum ........... OH - MY - G*D .... It gets down to brass knuckles and 5 pages of teachers learning the newbes on how to do a search. I keep it simple myself ........ if i get tired of people posting the same old question, then that tells me that i spend way too much time on the forum and need to get off my @$$ and go do something else . Know what i mean ya'll ?

Dadatwins said:
How :censored: nice, another "what is the best saw to buy thread?", I guess the 65,000 other threads that cover this topic were missing some info?
:bang:
There wouldn't be much fun if everyone found the ultimate answers using the search function. :sword: :givebeer: :popcorn:

:hmm3grin2orange:

SawTroll said:
There wouldn't be much fun if everyone found the ultimate answers using the search function. :sword: :givebeer: :popcorn:

:hmm3grin2orange:

You are right, :) now we have 65,001 threads about the best saw and some search function instructions also. Well Done. :clap:

Let em' post.

TimberPig said:
The reason why these kind of questions get the response they do, is because it has been asked over and over and over, and now he's coming in here to ask it again. The search function has most if not all of the questions he's asking, as they have already been answered in other posts with the same question. People get tired of repeating themselves on the same topic. As boboak suggests, run the search first if it is something that is likely to have been asked already, read the responses there, and then start the thread to get clarification if you still need it. You will get a better response to a question asking for clarifications of what you have read, than you will asking for the same information to be repeated. It's not that anyone here doesn't want to help you, but they would like to see you help yourself to the information that is at your fingertips in the form of previous discussions on the subject.

The search function can return a significant amount of useless garbage to your search if you simply punch in your topic and let it search all the posts in every forum. It will pick up stuff that is completely irrelevant. What I find works well, is to use the advanced search, select only the forum of interest, select titles only, and then have your topic. This way it only picks up the topics with your search phrase in the title, from the chainsaw forum, eliminating lots of junk and frustration.

I don't see a problem with posting. If he found this site he probably knows how to search. No problem with recommending the search they actually might not have thought of that. For whatever reason he chose to post. Maybe he figures he'll get the most current info by asking again, now, today. By doing so he may discover that one of the saws under consideration now has a junk intellicarb new to that line this year that is getting rank reviews. He wouldn't know that by looking at old posts. Yeah, he'll eventually get to that maybe but if he wants to pull the trigger today(sale?). He gets direct answers to his question today. If you're tired of the same questions over and over wouldn't it be easier to let the guys who want to answer the questions do so and just skip to the next post? That's what I do. But the question or answer really has nothing to do with you or what you are personally tired of-he just wants the answer.

Back