New large saw purchase/ Opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a new member i would like to start a post but every time I have a question I use the search and find my answer. It really is frustrating. Maybe this site should not be a forum but an informatinal site with nothing but pinned subjects.
I came here thinking how it would be cool to "chat" with others with like interests such as chainsaws and the like but quickly found that I would be jumped on for asking a stupid question.:dizzy: :spam: :givebeer:

spacemule said:
I "know" what you guys are saying. Perhaps this site will be better suited for your feelings?
I didnt even know that was a web site or they even had one ,Thanks spacemule! I'm glad you know all about it , ha.

WOODBOOGER said:
Being a new member i would like to start a post but every time I have a question I use the search and find my answer. ....
:clap: :D :laugh:
About the same goes for me - try to look up how many treads I have actually started......

Welcome!

dugide said:
i
... Does anyone know if there is an ADULT chainsaw site. ....
I have found several other chainsaw forums where the behaviour is more friendly than on this one, and I am sure there are even more.

The down side of those I have found is that the "turnaround" of what I call interesting info info is much smaller than on AS.....

Last edited:
sawn_penn said:
I'd probably go for the Stihl if I wanted to use it on a mill, but the Husky if I wanted to carry it around. ...
I find that a bit odd, as the Stihl is about a pound lighter according to respective specs, and I am pretty sure that the real differance is greater, but maybe the slimmer body of the Husky makes it more comfortable to carry anyway...:confused:

... which reminds me of one difference which hasn't been mentioned so far,
the Stihl has an inboard cluch, and the Husky an outboard one.

You guys are crazy.

The only fun we have is initiating the new guys and you want to take that away?

It is better to show your colors to the new guys than to let them think that everyone will hold hands.

I would liken it to letting your fiance think you don't cuss, drink, smoke, ect. until after you are married.

Not really fair is it?

Fred

I'm just wondering how viable it would be to have a "stock saw review" forum where each thread title would be the model of a particular saw. Within it, owners, users, techs could post their ACTUAL experiences and opinions of the saws. Good or bad reviews OK, but MUST be from people who actually have hands-on experience.

Also, I have already worked up a stihl model-by-model spec table that I'm in process of incorporating thereto Husky saws (my bud and GTG compadre is a Husky fan). This could be extended out (to more makes) to give these askers-of-questions a bracket of saws to study, and could go thread-by-thread to see what others have noted.

Whether or not they'd look is open to debate, but at least the reviews could be consolidated.

bump_r said:
I'm just wondering how viable it would be to have a "stock saw review" forum where each thread title would be the model of a particular saw. Within it, owners, users, techs could post their ACTUAL experiences and opinions of the saws. Good or bad reviews OK, but MUST be from people who actually have hands-on experience.

Also, I have already worked up a stihl model-by-model spec table that I'm in process of incorporating thereto Husky saws (my bud and GTG compadre is a Husky fan). This could be extended out (to more makes) to give these askers-of-questions a bracket of saws to study, and could go thread-by-thread to see what others have noted.

Whether or not they'd look is open to debate, but at least the reviews could be consolidated.

That sounds like a great Idea BOB. I've got a few huskies that I could lend some user info on..... :laugh:

Steve

sawn_penn said:
I'd probably go for the Stihl if I wanted to use it on a mill, but the Husky if I wanted to carry it around.

Around here, Stihl support is much better than Husky.

I've had a play with the 660 and I've had a 2nd hand 288xp for a few weeks now. I like the feel of the Husky better. Maybe that's just me.

Also, I haven't dropped anything with a 660 yet. Just bucking some big old logs.

A bit of an off topic question but would the external clutches on the Huskys make any difference when milling?

Back