New Mid-Size saw???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We hear lots of things, doesn't mean any of them are true. I've yet to hear of the actual AT system failing.

The very few problems I have read about has turned out to be either user errors or carb errors - not a single error with the AutoTune itself. Afterall, it is far from a new and immature design, it has been around since 2006 or so (under development of couse, at is the ATII by now)...

Last edited:
Okay does anyone know abot the 550xp I hear the autotune always messes up.... and is a piece of crap. ?????????????

I had a 550xp carb replaced under warranty. It was taken care of very quickly. I also had a minor build quality issue with the handle that was also fixed quickly. I am very satisfied with my dealer response and have never had an issue with Autotune on the 550xp or 562xp. My saw is as it should be now, kick ass. Thing is, the 550xp is as close to perfect for a small saw as you can get today. Just go to a dealer and test one.

Edit to say: The above post is my opinion and not based on any real test data. I just like to jump on any bandwagon Sawtroll is pulling.:cool2:

Last edited:
I have owned and run 9 50cc saws, including the 261. Most of them work well enough, but it is hard to argue against the lighter, snappier 346.

BTW, I sold my 261 today (and I still own 346's).

Good for you

To bad you don't like torque saw's :msp_smile:

One of my fav quotes

ST; How much time do you have running a MS 461 or MS 261 or even the Husky 550; Would love to here the answer to that one :wink2:

Last edited:
Small saws are boring

To a degree, I agree, but when your arms begin to sag above the elbows, and you look older than you are, and you just can't quit the habit of running a chainsaw, those lil saws are a lot of fun.:hmm3grin2orange:

550XP feels like a 60cc+ saw in a 40cc chassis. I bought one and couldnt be any happier with it. Husky got it right, and couldnt think of anything on it that I would change.

To a degree, I agree, but when your arms begin to sag above the elbows, and you look older than you are, and you just can't quit the habit of running a chainsaw, those lil saws are a lot of fun.:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey its all good. I got to do what I have to to amuse myself.:hmm3grin2orange:

Our shop got in some 550s,555s,and 576 xp.so far ppl like the 550&555,full chisel 20".no problems yet.good power/weight ratio.imo I'd get the 555xp for a hair more dinero,of course I use it for free so I've gotten used to it.also we got our auto tune tool finally,it lets you set for hot/cold temps tells you hoe long its idled has a curve for different fuel grade.pretty neat toy.

I have an almost new 372 xp I bought in 2008. Since I have purchased a 346xp NE and done a muffler mod only. I put a 18'' sugihara bar with a stihl chisel chain and I use this combo for all my needs. This is probably my favorite husky and I have owned alot of them the past 30 years. I have not tried a 550xp yet but I would guess there is not much difference in power.

I've ran and own a load of 50cc saws and I've never ran one more comfortable than the 346xp. But I'm anxious to run a 550 for more than a couple cookies. The only one mentioned yet id pass on was the Echo. A little gutless compared to the others.

We can go back and forth and argue which is the best one, but I think AS has proven the 346, 550, and 261 are all good and formidable saws.

Most all of the differences between the above models are mostly personal preferences (weight, antivibe, inboard/outboard, torque curve, etc). If your going to buy new I think the dealer in your area your most comfortable with, is more important than the minute differences between the above saws.

If I was to buy a new 50cc saw I'd personally go with a 261, but I'm partial to stihl.

We can go back and forth and argue which is the best one, but I think AS has proven the 346, 550, and 261 are all good and formidable saws.

Most all of the differences between the above models are mostly personal preferences (weight, antivibe, inboard/outboard, torque curve, etc). If your going to buy new I think the dealer in your area your most comfortable with, is more important than the minute differences between the above saws.

If I was to buy a new 50cc saw I'd personally go with a 261, but I'm partial to stihl.

Yes, and that's why you arrive at the more or less "impossible" conclution - choosing a bulky, slow revving and clumsy handling saw, over the slim and nimble saws with a snappy throttle responce. :D

Last edited:
stiglgreenman

I have been a "tolerated" member for a bit over 2 months.

I congratulate you for your somewhat creative attempt at having OTHER MEMBERS ....do.... YOUR HOMEWORK.
H 2 H is trying to help you. Thank him. Do it now. Hit the "like" or "rep", ie. star icon.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH heck, I have been partial to Stihls for almost 20 years. The locale, genetic heritage or blah, blah and blah.
Dropping, investing or counting $1 bills earned on stage placed on the counter of the saw dealer MEANS SOMETHING ........

I apologize to one and all. Had a crappy week.

:msp_thumbsup: From personable experience..... Found an 026 on CL a year and half ago for $170. Checked it over and took it home. Hard earned $170. It has ran great the whole time. Two semi-chisel chains later and a MM two weeks ago and heck, darned lucky I am thinkin'.

Stihl 260, 261, Husky 346, 550, J-Red? ..... Dealer support and brand loyalty. That's it.

Back