new model review- Echo cs-600P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles86

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had a chance to run a friend's new echo cs-600P saw last week. It was brand new. I had my echo cs-670 so I compared it to his cs-600p

Pros: Excellent fit and feels very sturdy. Plastics are high quality.
air filter has the air pre-cleaner feature (like husky)
balances perfect with 20" bar
comes with oregon lpx (.050)chain
low restriction muffler, easy to get to the spark arrestor
Inboard clutch; 7 pin sproket; side chain adjuster
available with outside dawg his had it and it fits over the bar studs, 5 points
Built in winter shutter for carburetor -Walbro carb, stihl tool works on the limiter caps.
Conventional 2 stroke porting -not a strotcharged type
Power: Has as much power as my 670, or seemed to. Faster rev up, unlike any Echo I've used before. Excellent for 59 cc.

Cons: I had a problem using the oil tank cap when the saw was hot, it took me a while to get the threads started , it might have been me though, it was really hot and I had sweat in my eyes the whole time.

The oiler is like the Stihl oilers, it always seems like there's not quite enough oil on the chain, compared to my 670 which oils great.
Resin handlebar-maybe it's lighter but I think it should be aluminum.
Air filter- only one type is available -felt.
We were cutting dead oak trees 18-22 " for firewood, Overall this is a great saw if you can only have one saw. Great job Echo :clap:

I bought one a last week. Cut a few logs with it about 14" in diameter. I have the 20" bar and I am very pleased. Just need to get out and use it more.

How was adjusting the carb with the rev limiter? I need to pull the caps and play with it. I am at 4500' elevation.

I picked up one at a local el-home-despot(home depot).

I was not impressed by the plastic clutch cover and plastic handle bar. It kinda of reminded be of a farm boss / rancher mix up.

Does it have a split crank case or clam shelled???

Sorry I forgot that point, yes it has the magnesium split crankcase with 4 bolts fastening the cylinder. The cylinder is inclined to the back at a 45* angle like some older stihls I've seen. the castings are very fine and have a nice coating of some kind. Although the handlebar is resin it is very tough.

I'd be more inclined to buy a new echo if they'd publish what their hp numbers are. Seems that a new saw should come with power information...not quite sure how they get away without publishing power, wouldn't this fall under the same catagory as the debacle with b&s motors?

Tomorrow I am going to the Echo Dealer...

Hey,
Yesterday I made my 1st cut on a 9'+ 20" pine log with this Alaskan Mill.

My 2nd season Crafty 18"(Poulan Pro) choked but did manage to do it.

Now, thats partly my fault as I was totally anxious to try the mill with its 9ft guide and did not switch to the ripping chain.

Wow, the top of that log is straight and level as a piece of sheet rock.

The poor little Crafty was smoking a bit when I was done.

So I started searching for a bigger saw. Almost bought a MS-290 20" bar for $389 but the salesman tried talking me into something bigger for $529+. Once he got fairly annoying I said no thanks and left.

After searching all day on the net I think its a Echo CS-600P
with a 24" bar that I am going to buy.

$505 with free delivery
http://wisesales.com/echo_cs600p.html?gclid=CIna3_KnqKICFZdL5QodG3SYQg

Will give the dealer up in Biddeford a shot to see if he can match the price. Willing to pay 5-10% more if dealer shakes on pledge he will stand behind it if it needs warranty work.

In general as a big DIY type I have had more then one negative experience with dealers. Too many dealers balk at warranty work if you never have the product they sold you maintained by them.

Pete

Hey,
Yesterday I made my 1st cut on a 9'+ 20" pine log with this Alaskan Mill.

My 2nd season Crafty 18"(Poulan Pro) choked but did manage to do it.

Now, thats partly my fault as I was totally anxious to try the mill with its 9ft guide and did not switch to the ripping chain.

Wow, the top of that log is straight and level as a piece of sheet rock.

The poor little Crafty was smoking a bit when I was done.

So I started searching for a bigger saw. Almost bought a MS-290 20" bar for $389 but the salesman tried talking me into something bigger for $529+. Once he got fairly annoying I said no thanks and left.

After searching all day on the net I think its a Echo CS-600P
with a 24" bar that I am going to buy.

$505 with free delivery
http://wisesales.com/echo_cs600p.html?gclid=CIna3_KnqKICFZdL5QodG3SYQg

Will give the dealer up in Biddeford a shot to see if he can match the price. Willing to pay 5-10% more if dealer shakes on pledge he will stand behind it if it needs warranty work.

In general as a big DIY type I have had more then one negative experience with dealers. Too many dealers balk at warranty work if you never have the product they sold you maintained by them.

Pete

I just went to the dealer locator and found two in NH probly as close to york as biddeford.. no sales tax either :)

my bil and i both love the cs-600p,it is a great saw. need to pull the caps and fatten them up,then they really wake up. i run 40/1 ultra and tune it to 12,500, limiter is @ 12,750 or so. i will run a 20" full chisel all day long beside my 362. on the dyno they are @4.5 to 4.7 HP,very respectable.

my bil and i both love the cs-600p,it is a great saw. need to pull the caps and fatten them up,then they really wake up. i run 40/1 ultra and tune it to 12,500, limiter is @ 12,750 or so. i will run a 20" full chisel all day long beside my 362. on the dyno they are @4.5 to 4.7 HP,very respectable.

Must Be Small Horses there STD.. Who's DYNO??......... The one I tested was ok But the PLASTIC handle made the saw feel heavier than it was..... It uses a NON STANDARD 20" Chain 70 driver instead of the standard 72 driver count. As far as power Id rather run a PS5100 which is lighter and near the same power.

Scott

Must Be Small Horses there STD.. Who's DYNO??......... The one I tested was ok But the PLASTIC handle made the saw feel heavier than it was..... It uses a NON STANDARD 20" Chain 70 driver instead of the standard 72 driver count. As far as power Id rather run a PS5100 which is lighter and near the same power.

Scott
my dyno there scott,i agreew/the non standard 70dl. i use an oregon bar on mine,and 72dl-3/8 stihl chain,and it works fine. my bil has a ton of hrs. on his w/zero problems.

Scott

there's nothing like youth and exuberance to help get the hp figures inflated. i remember when i was in high school just how much car performance got inflated. according to echo-worldwide.com, the more correct output is 4hp. like you said scott, very near a 5100. if it is running as fast as a 362, the 362 needs to go to the shop immediately.

there's nothing like youth and exuberance to help get the hp figures inflated. i remember when i was in high school just how much car performance got inflated. according to echo-worldwide.com, the more correct output is 4hp. like you said scott, very near a 5100. if it is running as fast as a 362, the 362 needs to go to the shop immediately.
your statement does not hold much water considering i have had more than one cs600 on my dyno,and i graduated high school 30 yrs ago.....

well, you are an old fart like me, but i am just going by echo's own dyno tests. and i would not be surprised to find that the EPA clogged saws have a lower output than those sold abroad.

well, you are an old fart like me, but i am just going by echo's own dyno tests. and i would not be surprised to find that the EPA clogged saws have a lower output than those sold abroad.

agreed, and well said......

I'll beleive the guy that actually owns and runs both saws, not someone that might have run a untuned one once. Steve

Latest posts

Back