New MS 400 today. She’s HOT!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A full wrap is the best thing since sliced bread, at least when it comes to a falling saw. Even if you don't have to double cut the tree, it's easy to make all your cuts from one side of the tree. It makes it easy to fine tune your holding wood when you're gunned at the same point in your back cut as your were in the face cut.

We also have some trees that are big enough that even a 36" bar requires double cutting. It just gives you more options and makes lining up your cuts that much easier.

I'll also add that it's a big deal for climbing with a rear handle IMO. It's really nice to not have to move around, or contort your body when bringing down a spar.
Well said

Yo lo creo. No estoy muy familiarizado con las sierras Stihl, pero no creo que vendan el 241 aquí en los EE. UU. ¿Dónde te encuentras?
La Stihl ms 241 CM, es una sierra más vendida en Europa, es una sierra profesional ligera y bien construida, la primera en incorporar carburación automática junto con la 441 CM. Es una motosierra que va muy bien en 325 de paso y barra de 16 pulgadas, pero también en 3/8 de perfil bajo. Bonita motosierra, ligera, siempre arranca y está lista para trabajar. Esta ha sido una sierra confiable desde el principio, a diferencia de una 550 xp. Su mayor problema es su precio, aquí en España su precio de tarifa supera los 800 euros.

Saludos.

Tanto 550, como 241 tienen precio similar, 550 xp es mas rapido, agradable y ergonomico. Sin embargo el stihl no falla ni a 5 grados ni a 38 grados centígrados, arranca siempre y bien. 550 XP es una sierra problemática y con baja vida útil.

Does anyone know if there are any known weaknesses on these Ms400’s. Have there been any changes or updates to correct issues? I’m thinking of buying one (due to Cad) but may give it another year to let them iron out any bugs.

According to some, who don't own one or have any experience with one, they are disaster. The CM and the Magnesium pistons (which were found to be a disaster 50 years ago in the Indy world) are doomed to failure. For 1 carbs are great, and 2 anything different is to be avoided.

Myself, greatest ever, but what do I know?

Does anyone know if there are any known weaknesses on these Ms400’s. Have there been any changes or updates to correct issues? I’m thinking of buying one (due to Cad) but may give it another year to let them iron out any bugs.
It’s been a solid saw for me, although only for a few months. But it’s been worked hard.

These new light weigh / high power saws do seem like owner operator saws to me though….. if they are in experienced hands who keep them maintained and know where the limits are they will last a long time. But just thrown in the mix with a bunch of hourly workers, I’m not so sure. Kinda like a hopped up and hot tuned Peterbilt…. The guy who owns it could drive it forever and look good doing it. Put a 9-5 clock in and clock out driver in the same truck and he could burn it down in a week. Those guys need a boring, slow Tupperware torpedo that’s so detuned and overbuilt that they can’t hurt it.

As good as this new saw is, it’s also a reminder of how good my 562 really is. I’ve gone back to it this week, it cuts with the 400 even though it’s smaller and may be better balanced. Between the two, it might even be the better choice with a 28” bar.

Having one I keep an eye out on the various forums and Facebook pages for any hiccups in this saw. Haven't seen any so far. Like @Parkerpusher said any saw can be misused in the wrong hands and things can go south pretty quick.

As good as this new saw is, it’s also a reminder of how good my 562 really is. I’ve gone back to it this week, it cuts with the 400 even though it’s smaller and may be better balanced. Between the two, it might even be the better choice with a 28” bar.
I owned a early 562 snd it was a great saw for me. However, many had issues with them.
To me the 400 is the first stihl to finnaly perform like a Husky.

Having one I keep an eye out on the various forums and Facebook pages for any hiccups in this saw. Haven't seen any so far. Like @Parkerpusher said any saw can be misused in the wrong hands and things can go south pretty quick.
Way to early to tell, especially given the fact that there are relatively few 400's out there.

Quizás es demasiado pronto, pero ya deberían haber aparecido algunos problemas si es que existen, en Europa esta motosierra se empieza a vender bien. Ni siquiera tengo tiempo para tener el conocimiento al respecto. Stihl no es una marca que se pueda permitir muchos fallos, sobre todo en esta línea de productos y precio. El futuro lo dirá. Saludos.

I owned a early 562 snd it was a great saw for me. However, many had issues with them.
To me the 400 is the first stihl to finnaly perform like a Husky.
I wish they were consistent but they just aren’t. My first one was a good saw, but not half the saw my second one is. It’s a shame they can’t all be A+. As much as I like husky saws, there’s some hungover Monday saws and some Wednesday saws out there 🫤

Hi
Having one I keep an eye out on the various forums and Facebook pages for any hiccups in this saw. Haven't seen any so far. Like @Parkerpusher said any saw can be misused in the wrong hands and things can go south pretty quick
Stihl knows exactly how reliable this product is, they’ll have a spreadsheet of every failed unit and the failure modes.
unfortunatly they don’t hand out that spreadsheet LOL.

Hi

Stihl knows exactly how reliable this product is, they’ll have a spreadsheet of every failed unit and the failure modes.
unfortunatly they don’t hand out that spreadsheet LOL.
I'll be at my dealer today. He will give me the lowdown on anything that stihl has to say about any problems with saws if he has received any.

Had the solenoid puke on mine the third day, dealer replaced it while I waited. Otherwise no problems. Probably the most impressive new saw I have ever bought.

I said earlier I missed my 562 and it would cut alongside the 400. I was cutting pine that day, and it did.

Today I cleaned up a big hickory and brought them both. 400 definitely outcut the 562 in hickory.

I don’t know much about Stihls, this is my first one aside from a 201. Always heard the AV was either bad, or weak. This saw doesn’t seem to be either, it’s no sloppier than the 562 maybe even firmer, and I don’t feel any more vibes running it.

Are other Stihl models built different?

Back