New MS 400 today. She’s HOT!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a great saw. I bought the new 362C. My first Mtronic. It’s got a lot more power than my manual carburetor 362. I run a 25” bar on this and the oiler turned all the way up. It uses tank for tank. So getting more oil to the bar wouldn’t be better because of running out early. I wounded if using thinner oil would help yours oil???

I'm probably almost thru my first tank full of gas. It is getting stronger every time I use it. Today, I took down the rakers a bit, and the saw was smooth and powerful in the pine I had in the yard. It is becoming a very nice saw.

You got the 24" B&C on it, right? Full house or skip tooth chain?
Yes, the full house RS

Buenos días a todos.
Soy usuario profesional de motosierras desde hace años, para el servicio de prevención y extinción de incendios forestales aquí en España, concretamente en el sur de España. Lo del uso que se cita en este hilo sobre las barras cortas es muy cierto, en Europa usamos barras cortas, 13,14,15,16,18 y muy raras 20. Incluso fabricantes como stihl y husqvarna solo las suministran de serie en estos medidas.
Como ejemplo el MS 400 se suministra en 16, 18 y 20.
Sobre la Stihl ms 400 puedo decir que es mi mejor maquina, he tenido la husqvarna 562 xp y esta podria ser una maquina mas rapida, pero vi problemas en su filtro de aire, tragaba mucho polvo fino, esta no paso con la ma 400.
Son muy parecidas en cuanto a potencia, me da la sensación de más par motor en las Stihl, quizás aprecio personal. En lo personal estoy muy contento con el ms 400 cada dia parece ir mas fuerte 😉

Saludos a todos.

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_204455.jpg
    IMG_20220506_204455.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Perhaps a Google translation, may not be completely accurate... Thanks for posting and glad you are enjoying it! Patrick

Good morning to all.
I have been a professional user of chainsaws for years, for the forest fire prevention and extinction service here in Spain, specifically in the south of Spain. The use quoted in this thread about short bars is very true, in Europe we use short bars, 13,14,15,16,18 and very rare 20. Even manufacturers like stihl and husqvarna only supply them as standard on these measures.
As an example the MS 400 is supplied in 16, 18 and 20.
About the Stihl ms 400 I can say that it is my best machine, I have had the husqvarna 562 xp and this could be a faster machine, but I saw problems in its air filter, it swallowed a lot of fine dust, this did not happen with the ma 400.
They are very similar in terms of power, it gives me the sensation of more torque in the Stihl, perhaps I appreciate it personally. Personally, I am very happy with the ms 400, every day it seems to get stronger 😉

Greetings to all.

Yes. Also includes a plastic piece that adapts the saw to the old style clutch cover.
Actually that part no 1122 648 0403 is just the MS 440 larger clutch cover. The part no. 1122-640-1711 is the larger clutch cover, the chip deflector, the outside dog, roller chain catch and the two plastic chain guards affixed to the cover. The price is $90. too! No harm no foul but wanted to clear that up in case someone else is going down this path. It's a real struggle with our Stihl dealers here in trying to get them to understand that you're ordering parts for a 440 but you're putting them on a 400🙄. They just can't comprehend it 😬

Actually that part no 1122 648 0403 is just the MS 440 larger clutch cover. The part no. 1122-640-1711 is the larger clutch cover, the chip deflector, the outside dog, roller chain catch and the two plastic chain guards affixed to the cover. The price is $90. too! No harm no foul but wanted to clear that up in case someone else is going down this path. It's a real struggle with our Stihl dealers here in trying to get them to understand that you're ordering parts for a 440 but you're putting them on a 400🙄. They just can't comprehend it 😬

Sorry, the part number for the entire 3/4 wrap kit is #1140 007 1012.​

I’ve noticed it oils fine with a 25” bar. I have a Sugi bar and I think they oil better than the Stihl bar unless you open up the oiler hole like was mentioned. 28” oils marginally ok in softwood, I don’t cut hardwood with the 28” anymore it runs too hot. I purchased the 462 oiler but haven’t made time to swap it out yet. So far nothing but good things to say for this saw…. Only negative is that I don’t put much time on my 562 anymore and that’s a little sad.

I’ve noticed it oils fine with a 25” bar. I have a Sugi bar and I think they oil better than the Stihl bar unless you open up the oiler hole like was mentioned. 28” oils marginally ok in softwood, I don’t cut hardwood with the 28” anymore it runs too hot. I purchased the 462 oiler but haven’t made time to swap it out yet. So far nothing but good things to say for this saw…. Only negative is that I don’t put much time on my 562 anymore and that’s a little sad.
You need the 461 R model oiler. The regular model won't get you much additional oil.

You need the 461 R model oiler. The regular model won't get you much additional oil.
Thanks for your help earlier by the way. Without the part numbers I would have been screwed. The Stihl dealer here was not at all interested in cross model compatibility to help me upgrade the 400. Really appreciated!

Hola, la lubricación del ms 400c con 18 y 20 bar es simplemente perfecta, no he probado con mayor longitud, incluso en maderas muy secas y duras como esta, el olivo. (Ola Europea).

Saludos.

Si el olivo en general es una madera dura, incluso en verde, nada que ver con las coníferas, hay olivos centenarios de tamaño importante. Adjunto imagen de mi ms 241, tras derribar un olivo. Saludos.

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_234646.jpg
    IMG_20220513_234646.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 0
Back