New saw. Help me decide.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gafirefighter

gafirefighter

ArboristSite Operative
I have found my way back to the site. It has been almost four years, but here I am. And now, on another saw bug. The difference is, this time, I am looking at something from Stihl instead of Husky. I have had quite a few Husky saws, many are much larger than I will ever require. But now I want something from Stihl. I am on that bug for some reason. All of our Engines and Ladder Trucks for the department I work for have MS361's on them. Love the saw. We use them a good bit clearing trees out of the roadway.

So here is what I am thinking. I have been looking at an 044, 440, and 460. I am going to buy something used, and would like to stay in the $500, maybe $600 range. I do not need this saw. Let me repeat, I do not need it, lol. Just want something else in the 70cc range. When it is used, it will be for firewood. I am leaning in the 044, 440 direction because of weight. Also whatever I get will be modded fairly quickly. So what do you all think? What would I have the most fun with? Or maybe just a fun 041? Who knows...

Thanks,

Adam

Andyshine77
Don't really know, you already have a couple of the best 70cc saws ever made. Everyone that's ran the 461 seems to like them, but it's a newer saw so finding a good deal on a used one will be difficult. Quite a few people really like the 441-cm, but IMHO the 460 weighs the same and makes better power. If you really want something different I'd find a nice 7900. The 7900 has about the same weight as a 460, but with about 5% more power..:cheers:

Last edited:
NORMZILLA44

NORMZILLA44

Addicted to ArboristSite
O.P probably the two best firewood saws I ever owned and ran, 044-372. If it was a need, and you did not have other saws I would say 046, because you start with more torque, I have run so many of both so I can tell you they are so close, and the extra weight on the 46 is so minimal, but very capable of big things, so is the 44. But edge goes to the 046-460. Either way you will be happy.

Anthony_Va.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
The beat all around 70cc saw I have ran is the 441CM. It's just an awesome saw and I feel the power is right on par with the 460. The filtration and AV is awesome (Husky-like).
I like the 460 better than the 440 though. The extra power and not much extra weight make it the better choice IMO.
The 461 is a really good saw, but used will be hard to do on that one.

I'm with Andre, 7900 is hard to beat :rock:

BIG JAKE

BIG JAKE

Let’s go Brandon!
I have a pristine 046-my favorite saw. Buy a 461 your other saws will become shelf queens. Sadly, every year it gets a little harder to handle the 046 due to past injuries. Have been considering joining the 50cc club with a 261,346xp, or 550xp although I'm not a husky guy. And have brad give it the once over. :msp_thumbup:

Billm67

Billm67

ArboristSite Lurker
I just finished an 044 on Friday and took it out and made a few cuts with it. I just put a new piston and ring on it and it's a beast just a killer saw. I only have a 20 bar on it and it cuts like mad. It a 10mm wrist pin saw...but it sure runs.

044_zpscefda0de.jpg

044front_zpsc534e8b7.jpg

beerbelly

beerbelly

Mouth breather
I have found my way back to the site. It has been almost four years, but here I am. And now, on another saw bug. The difference is, this time, I am looking at something from Stihl instead of Husky. I have had quite a few Husky saws, many are much larger than I will ever require. But now I want something from Stihl. I am on that bug for some reason. All of our Engines and Ladder Trucks for the department I work for have MS361's on them. Love the saw. We use them a good bit clearing trees out of the roadway.

So here is what I am thinking. I have been looking at an 044, 440, and 460. I am going to buy something used, and would like to stay in the $500, maybe $600 range. I do not need this saw. Let me repeat, I do not need it, lol. Just want something else in the 70cc range. When it is used, it will be for firewood. I am leaning in the 044, 440 direction because of weight. Also whatever I get will be modded fairly quickly. So what do you all think? What would I have the most fun with? Or maybe just a fun 041? Who knows...

Thanks,

Adam

There is a very fine line between "wanting what we need, and needing what we want". You do NEED another saw!:D

D&B Mack

D&B Mack

Sawin Wit It!
460 gets my vote. You can find a good one in the mid 5 range if you really look around. I just sold my backup 460 with very low hours on it for $625 with a 25" bar; but the powerhead looked brand new. But I have picked up a couple here and there on CL to flip on feebay for down into the 400's and they were good runners.

z71mike

z71mike

Addicted to ArboristSite
My 10mm "Christine" will SMOKE a stock 460 !

ask spike60 how "Christine" runs.....he'll tell ya! :biggrin:

I've seen her name in a bunch of posts now and I must say I'm intrigued. Not to hijack the thread, but how did she get her name and what's been done to her? ;)

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
theres an 044 in the chattanooga craigslist right now for under your budget. I have no idea where you are in gerogia, so that might be a heckuva ride for a saw, etc. Just sayin...

Ran a friends 441mtronic before he swapped it off..note, I am not a stihl guy..thats the smoothest nicest saw I ever ran, all things considered. Feeling that thing adjust its tune automatically is just too dang slick. I imagine the huslky autotunes are the same, but never ran one yet.

Stihls firefighter saw seems nice according to all I have read, some better features over stock, the 460R.

Adirondackstihl

Adirondackstihl

Flyz, Fuel & Fotos
I've seen her name in a bunch of posts now and I must say I'm intrigued. Not to hijack the thread, but how did she get her name and what's been done to her? ;)

She's definetly not a good looker. She's been pieced together using at least 4 different saws. Not sure why, but I just thought Christine (Stephen King) was fitting for her demeanor.

Ummm......nothing.....she's just a stock 10mm saw ;)

Latest posts