New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I needed a new saw, so I went with the MS290. I was asking here awhile back about the 290 vs the 250. Finally got to use it today on some sassafras. I figure I'd try to break it on small stuff. It's a little heavy, but it rips. I won't be cutting cords and cords, but I'd rather have the power.
The sassafras is a pain to clean up though, it's just a tangled mess up top.
I have an oak in the back that needs to come down. Can't wait to try it with this saw.
My old saw that won't idle right is a Poulan Pro 220, so this is a big difference.
I can't complain, I got my money's worth from that thing.
I'll try fixing it again, it could come in handy for stumps and such.
I'm already thinking of picking up a smaller saw for lighter work.
Does that mean I need to seek professional help???:confused:

You are already too far gone for that.
Just ride the worst of the CAD storm out and hope your finances and marriage survive.

The 290 is a great homeowner saw and will give you many years of excellent service, if you do your part.
Disregard anything you hear here to the contrary.

Mike

My 290 is a great little saw...It's 2 years old and I have cut at least 20 cords with it for me plus a lot of helping friends out kinda stuff...

You will like it more when it is good and broken in and don't forget to post pic's of the muffler mod when you are done......

I just got this one:
jonnie1.jpg

I've not going to try explaining why I needed it - it just followed me home!

WOW if the 290 is heave you got the wrong hobby/habbit.

If you want a lighter saw then you might as well get the 250 that you were thinking about before.

What I mean is that it's a little heavy for me to want to have to use all day, every day. Seeing as how that is not how I'll be using it, it shouldn't be a problem.

I know what you mean. I bought an ms 170 for limbing and small trees, and use the 290 for big trees and blocking.

Why would you want to keep your wife from knowing???

I don't mean to REALLY offend you but if you don't have nads enough to tell your wife you need a small saw, you might want to consider selling your "big saw" lest you hurt yourself.

You can always use the often quoted "How many pairs of shoes do you have dear" question when she asks why you need another saw.

Mike

I'm actually considering picking up the MS170 too.
Now I just have to figure out how to keep my wife from finding out.
Any tips??

Dont use 2 Stihls at once my wife can tell one of my Stihls from the macs. But cant tell 170 or 250 or 290 at a glance. :)

Dont use 2 Stihls at once my wife can tell one of my Stihls from the macs. But cant tell 170 or 250 or 290 at a glance. :)

That's good...Whenever we are in the woods and we all have Stihls my FIL has trouble picking out his saw..He's been at it for 50 years....

What gets me the most is my FIL and BIL give so much crap because I use Stihl bar oil and 2 cycle oil. You just wasting money they say..The walmart stuff is just as good!!!That is till we hit the woods. We all carry are own jugs but mine are the only ones the get emptied out....:deadhorse:

I hear ya brother,loud and clear,might leave the saw at home one time and see what happens:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back