New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at a new Husky 455 Rancher what do you guys think?

I cut mostly blowdowns and pulpe of all sizer up to ablot 25 inches in diameter

stay away from 455 if possible, its weights too much and lacks power... as said, get 266 or 372 or something similar...

I picked up a 455 a couple weeks ago. My local dealer was selling brand new units for $249 w/ 20" bar. Sounds a bit like a soup can. That dealer also has HT101 for $479. made me little sick [i just paid like $619]

Hey dude

NEK said:
Looking at a new Husky 455 Rancher what do you guys think?

I cut mostly blowdowns and pulpe of all sizer up to ablot 25 inches in diameter

Welcome to the site eh? NE kingdom of VT??? Well, I'm right across the lake and hope I can stop you from making a very poor purchase you will regret bud. If your adamant on purchasing huskys, look at the new 460 at least. Or maybe one of their smaller Pro saws, i.e. 357XP or something. I think the 346XP is a bit small for your all around work, but try it I reckon if they'll let you. I love my 266XP, it's an older husky and have run the 372 and the 288 from husky, liked them all very much. They build an excellent saw. Unfortunately like everyone said, the 455 Rancher is wayyyyyy underpowered for it's size. Hence why they came out with the 460... Since your over in NE Kingdom, check your Dolmar dealer also buddy, a ps-5100 would be an excellent match for you also, and very reasonable on pricing. Hope you get a great saw and it works out well for you. Let us know eh? :rock: :popcorn:

other saws

I am not oposed to a sthil.... maby a farmboss or somthing I know knothing about Dolmar's or Johnsered's so I am not so sure on them. I do like sthil's I am looking to pay under 350.00 and want to get somthing new as possible. everyone says the 455 is underpowered... Thats probally why it is a good deal.

one more thing

I dont cut alot of really hard wood. Do you guys still think the 455 would be underpowered for an all around land matainance saw. I cut maby 10-15 cord of Hardwood a year. the rest is all softwood from litttle whips to 25 inches in diameter give or take 90% of the hardwood i cut is from 10in in diameter to 25

I would stay away from a 455 rancher also,I would look towards a pro model saw intended for heavy use,10 to 12 cords a year you will use up that rancher pretty quick.
go for a husky 357xp or if you have a dolmar dealer around a ps5100s,I love mine.
let the dealer know what your using the saw for,they will help you with your decision,just stay away from light duty saws.

If you're going to buy an underpowered overweight saw you may as well get the Stihl MS290. It has more power and is usually cheaper.

NEK, it is not underpowered for general maintenance on a homesite, but if you cut 10-15 cords of hardwoods you really need a different saw.
A more powerful saw will reduce your work time and fatigue.

Have you searched your local Home Depot for a used Makita 6401 (same as dolmar)?

I think you should bite the bullet and pay the money for a Husqvarna 359, 357XP, or larger saw. Or perhaps try to find a good used one.

I guss I will go with a xp

I guess i will ditch the rencher idea... Makita 6401? wow never seen anyone with a Makita chainsaw..... I have alot of Makita power tool but a chain saw wow.... Yeah around here it is pretty much Sthil and Husky and ocasional Echo.

Ill look at the xp.... or a larger Sthil... I like sthil's but the price has scard me away

Depends on what part of the NEK you're closest to.

If you're looking for a Dolmar/Makita call the rental department at the Littleton Home Depot. I talked to the rental manager there and he told me the rental saws would be ready for retirement this month.

If you're looking for a husky get a 357XP or a 359. They sell SOlO and Dolmar in newport too.

i would shy away from the 455 as well.

spend a little more and get the 359. i'd rather have the 350 than the 455.

NEK said:
I guess i will ditch the rencher idea... Makita 6401? wow never seen anyone with a Makita chainsaw..... I have alot of Makita power tool but a chain saw wow.... Yeah around here it is pretty much Sthil and Husky and ocasional Echo.

Ill look at the xp.... or a larger Sthil... I like sthil's but the price has scard me away
Look at the MS270 saw from Stihl. Have one and clear cedar with it. Nice smooth saw.
Good luck with your decision.

Latest posts

Back