New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, $480 is the price on the 260 pro, we missunderstood each other there!!

The 270 belongs to my partner in crime, he left it here fo me to run a while and see what I thought. I've run it a few times, I like the power/weight of the 350 much better!!! Not a saw I would buy!! But I feel the same about the 455 so.............
Andy

Gotcha. Now I see what you mean. I thought ( at least on paper ) that the MS270 and Husky 350 were pretty similar saws in performance. The specs show that the 270 has slightly more power but the 350 weighs slightly less. I wonder what the RPM differance is, if the Husky runs at higher RPM's?

Gotcha. Now I see what you mean. I thought ( at least on paper ) that the MS270 and Husky 350 were pretty similar saws in performance. The specs show that the 270 has slightly more power but the 350 weighs slightly less. I wonder what the RPM differance is, if the Husky runs at higher RPM's?

I got the Husky at 10.6pds and the 270 at 11.7pds, then 3.1hp, vs 3.4hp, don't know the R's off the top of my head, maybe Troll? I just know it's night and day between them running them!
Andy

I got the Husky at 10.6pds and the 270 at 11.7pds, then 3.1hp, vs 3.4hp, don't know the R's off the top of my head, maybe Troll? I just know it's night and day between them running them!
Andy

While I don't doubt what your saying, I just find it wierd that a saw with less power could perform that much better than a saw with more power. Maybe it's the 1 pound less weight thing. Things like this keep me awake at night Andy. You know what I mean?

While I don't doubt what your saying, I just find it wierd that a saw with less power could perform that much better than a saw with more power. Maybe it's the 1 pound less weight thing. Things like this keep me awake at night Andy. You know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean LOL!!! Higher RPM, better powerband, it may not be that much faster, but it sure feels nicer to me!! I have nothing against Stihl saws, owned a few:hmm3grin2orange: but for the time being, I wouldn't own a new 50cc Stihl PERIOD!!!! And there are few that will disagree with that, there are just too many others that are cheaper and better on the market!!! They need to get after that 261 FAST or they will be playing a lot more catchup then they already need to be!
Andy

Andy

AFAIK 350 husky runs at 13k mark...

I would get a Husky 350 before either of those saws!! I have a 270 sitting in the garage that I won't even run!
Andy

The 270 and 280 has a mag case, unlike the the 350, but it is not a full blown pro saw contruction - they are also quite a bit heavier, even heavier than the PS-5100........

Most of people here are looking only the numbers, but the actual performance and feeling is quite a different...
This is one reason why stihls 270/280 is here called as junk.:deadhorse:

i do not have a 350 nor have i ever.

i do have three close friends that have or have had them and they all melted down the piston and cylinder.it seems like a nice size saw but i am leary of them.my 'ol 141 keeps on riping though.

Andy

i do have three close friends that have or have had them and they all melted down the piston and cylinder.it seems like a nice size saw but i am leary of them.my 'ol 141 keeps on riping though.

I hate this krap (theads boosting one saw and talking down another):sucks:

My Husky 55 (very highly rated on this site) is the only saw I've ever had with a piston meltdown. Great saw and was easy to tear down and fix.

I have both the Husky 350 and the Stihl 270. They are both so purty to look at I have not even fueled them up yet. They are not 70cc saws but I'm sure when the day arrives they will do chores within thier limits.

In the mean time I can enjoy my 031 and 625 and little bitty Echos for trim work. The 280 has been a good, super comfortable, saw but it needs a muffler mod to wake it up a bit. I guess I'll look for a thread on that. The main thing is that it is YOUR saw and does the jobs you need it to do. No need to bash the other guys tool.:bang:

i'm not bashing the 350 at all.

when they did run they seemed to be a really smooth saw.there just seems to be alot of them failing.there are always 350s on ebay either blown up,rebuilt,or parted out.many other saws and models too.
i also understand there are other factors involved as well.my partner had nothing but trouble with his 350 so he got a 359 and it's still going strong.maybe there was a bad batch.
as for the 55 rancher,i love it.still use it all the time and enjoy using it and i have plenty of other saws to use (141,357xp,372xp,395xp,dolmar112) but sometimes the 55 just feels right.
please make sure you mean 55 rancher and not 455 rancher.two completely different saws.the latter being A JOKE!
as a matter of fact,i just aquired another blown up 350 the other day.

OK 22Hornet, Let's not get too excited about my old Husky 55. It is not a Rancher. Just a Husky 55. No Catalytic Converter, has the (I think 44mm piston) which I had to replace last year with some great help from the people on this site. It is a nice older saw and I think a lot of it. Probly not as nice as your 55 Rancher but I'm not complaining.

Now the saw I would LIKE to complain about is my old Jonsered 625. It just seems to keep wearing out chains...and sprockets and sometimes even the bar wears out. I even had to replace the clutch cover because the metal wore thin and began to crack...and that old air filter just doesn't look right...I feel like I have to clean it too often...and there's that straight across handlebar that just doesn't look right until you start cutting and forget about it.

Yeah, some saws just suck.

i do not know the difference between ............

a 55 rancher and a plain 55.probably the same saw +/- a marketing budget.as for Jred,i have no experience.no dealers near me.i'll never buy a 455 R.

Nice

I picked up a 455 a couple weeks ago. My local dealer was selling brand new units for $249 w/ 20" bar. Sounds a bit like a soup can. That dealer also has HT101 for $479. made me little sick [i just paid like $619]

that is a killer deal ht101 for 479 my question was it new i wish i could find deal like that:rockn:

Latest posts

Back