New SpeeCo Splitters!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rx7145

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was at TSC today and saw they had some new SpeeCo splitters. They are now back to the Horizontal engine with the filter on the return line and not the suction line. Also looks like the log cradle is a little different. Anyway they looked nice!

new tsc(speeco)

I purchased a splitter this year..too early for the new model and noticed a small leak before I hooked it up to the truck. Called the supervisor out on it..he said..sometimes they need to run a bit to seal...take it home and try it out..and gave me a nod.. Well I did just that..ran it through its paces..barely bogged..ran great.. talked to him monday..he said that he already rainchecked one and when it comes in he will call me..so I continued to use my "rental"..well the new one came..no more h.p. rating on the motor...runs a little quieter..I don't think it has the same power. bogs a lot compared to the old one..I only have about 2 hours on it...just my .02

I looked at a speeco the other day @ a New Holland dealership. They had it sitting outside along with other farm equipment. Every bolt on the splitter was rusted from sitting outside. Was there for over 15 minutes checking it out. Two different people that worked there came outside walked by and never said a word. They must have an excess of customers.

Ended up driving 20 more miles to Lowes and bought a Troybilt 27 ton with a Honda 5.5. They were happy to see me and answered all my questions. Its probably not the best splitter out there, but so far I am very pleased.:givebeer:

"..well the new one came..no more h.p. rating on the motor

I have noticed this on all of the new Honda engines this year, both the GX, and GC series. Not sure if its only Honda doing this or other brands are following suit. I guess horsepower isn't politically correct these days. :confused:

When I saw these new splitters at TSC I wondered why they pointed the exhaust right where the operator will be standing. The small deflector may be able to direct it the operators feet, head, or backside - and maybe even the beam - but it still is headed right where you will be standing when running the controls or lifting logs.

When I bought my troy built 27 ton log spitter (which I am happy with) a while back it had the cc rating instead of the HP rating on the engine. I asked the sales rep. why did it have the cc rating instead of the Hp rating and he told me that there is or was a law suit that occured because of the HP rating and because of it everything started to go to the cc rating.

When I bought my troy built 27 ton log spitter (which I am happy with) a while back it had the cc rating instead of the HP rating on the engine. I asked the sales rep. why did it have the cc rating instead of the Hp rating and he told me that there is or was a law suit that occured because of the HP rating and because of it everything started to go to the cc rating.

makes sense.

leave it up to one person to question if a 5hp rated engine is really 4.9hp. so, just go with the cc rating and assume it has around 5hp.

i noticed that even northern tool had listed almost every engine in "cc's" rather than hp.

it's like now i gotta learn metrics all over again. :)

A lot of those newer engines had become very very overrated. Look at the push mowers that had been coming out the last few years, some were claiming to be close to 7 HP! Why do you need a 7 HP mower today when in the 80s a 4 HP worked just fine! The answer is that its not an honest 7 HP and bigger numbers, just like bigger bars on cheap saws, is what sells new stuff.

so...i did a search of converting CC to HP, or vice versa. apparently it's not an easy thing to do, considering the many factors: ie: torque, CID, stroke, etc etc....

but, i read one guy's quick conversion here:

1 HP for every 27.826086cc.

not sure how accurate it is.....

then, i found this :

There are many verables that determine Horse Power. You may have two identical engines that put out different horse power. It is determined by displacement, Compression Ratio, Fuel mixture, engine design, ignition and valve timing.
Horse Power or (BHP) 1BHP = 550 FtLb per second
Example: For Calculating FtLb
Work= Distance X Force (5Ft X 10Lb = 50FtLb)
Power= Work / Time (50FtLb / 2 seconds = 25 Foot Pounds per Second)

If you want to figure out CC for an engine you use

Displacement= Bore X Bore X 0.7854 X Stroke, X number of cylenders
Example 5.4(Bore) X 5.4(Bore) X 0.7854(Constant) X 5.4(Stroke) X 1(number of cylenders) = 123.672 CC
and if you need to convert CI to CC (1 CI = 16.387 CC)

life is so complicated.

Last edited:
The horsepower rating is easily abused for one major reason:

HP = (T x N) x K

where T = Torque, N = RPM, and K is a constant.

That means that if I can build an engine that revs high as kite, I can increase the horsepower rating if the torque that it delivers drops less than the increase in RPM.

Horsepower ratings can be very misleading. An engine that makes lots of horsepower for a specific engine size may actually be less useful than one with more torque. I think most consumers automatically think that an engine with more HP is better........but listing higher HP ratings than the engine makes only improves sales and doesn't affect how the engine runs. I also believe that only listing the engine size (cc or cu. in.) is somewhat misleading as not all engines are created equal.

Well the horsepower police need to go after the Air Compressor and Shop Vac people. It used to be a 5 HP air compressor required 220 volts, 18 - 20 amps and they were big, and now a small cheap air compressor can claim to have 5HP out of a 110 volt 12 amp motor. They use some kind of a method where it is intantaneous horsepower from trying to stop the motor in a hurry and the horsepower rating cannot be sustained. Why a shop Vac can be rated at 5HP is beyond my understanding - but it is misleading as well. How can a shop vac motor that is 110 volt and the size of a grapefruit be rated with as much horsepower as a 220 volt motor that is the size of a large watermelon is beyond me. These ratings intentionally mislead the public and are false advertising in my opinion.

... It used to be a 5 HP air compressor required 220 volts, 18 - 20 amps and they were big, and now a small cheap air compressor can claim to have 5HP out of a 110 volt 12 amp motor. They use some kind of a method where it is intantaneous horsepower from trying to stop the motor in a hurry and the horsepower rating cannot be sustained. Why a shop Vac can be rated at 5HP is beyond my understanding - but it is misleading as well. How can a shop vac motor that is 110 volt and the size of a grapefruit be rated with as much horsepower as a 220 volt motor that is the size of a large watermelon is beyond me. These ratings intentionally mislead the public and are false advertising in my opinion...

See my post above, What they did was quardruple the RPM on the 110v Shop Vac motor and deliver 1/4th the torque at that speed than the big 220v motor, which is probably trucking along at 1760 RPM. Yes, it is misleading.

back to the splitta, saw them in person. must be Alaska design.
They make you reach over the engine for the controls.
helps keep you toasty.

Last edited:
in another thread we talked about speeco splitters with the filters on the suction lines.

i emailed speeco and asked them what was up with that. they emailed me back and said, for several reasons, they switched back to putting them on the return line.

what speeco did was downsized HP... to mate with 16gpm pump. vs older 35 ton speeco had a 12.5hp driving the same 16gpm with a 5in cylinder = slow 15 second cycle times.

that 12.5hp motor would support 22 gpm, but all hoses would need to be changed out to larger size. note the considerable price difference between a 22 gpm and 16 gpm... which would bump speeco out of it's current price points.

I've had zero problems with my 12.5 HP OHV briggs. it surprisingly gets great mileage... one tank will split a LOT of wood.

email them and suggest that they move it. they're pretty good at responding to emails.
I've emailed them about 4xs in the last 2 yrs and got no response. About 3yrs ago I called to get some info on the pumps that they don't publish and the guy on the other end was a bit of a smart a**. I remember him telling one thing about the pumps. The published #'s are the pump maximums and not necessarily what their applications put out do to reduced RPM's. Many here say they have responded favorably to suggestions. Maybe they get people calling all the time wanting something else done and they figure they can't please everyone. If that is the case they need to tell their customers why they have done things the way they have.

Back