New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.

Any reason you didn't split straight into those bags? Just easier to fill 'em later with the bucket?

Any splitter pros and cons stand out for you now you've had 20+ hrs on it?
i like the bags for being able to move wood around. We have about 30 of them filled now. However I don't have a great way (other than dumping them) to unload at a customers house which I suspect will trash the bag. So for now I'm just using them to build bins with. We are aiming for 45 cords to sell next year which is the pile i'm working on now. Currently we're sitting around 10 cords heaped up.

the machine has been pretty good, it's split some nasty pieces, we've also found a few pieces we've just given up on and we'll get them with the hydro machine later. the real ugly stuff is just dangerous to split.

the machine has had some hiccups.
- clutch bolt fell out today. simple matter of tightening it back up
- weve tossed the return springs a few times, I don't want to make them any tighter, it already returns fast enough. we can deal with hooking them up, usually happens around once every 6-8 hours on the machine.
- wood shavings jamming under ram. This one is a bit of a PITA, a few times now we've had the ram get stuck as it rides up and over a sliver of wood. The wood is in the order of 1/8" thick. it will wedge itself ontop of it and not be able to return to starting position. when this happens we have to beat the ram head back with a sledge. usually only a couple of whacks. however we have had 2 that we actually had to un-bolt the carriage wheels and clear the sliver.
- pinion gear and rack show virtually no signs of wear so far. we have run a bunch of nasty stuff through there and it'll pop and grind the gears once in a while, but so far, holding up well.

Things I want to improve on still:
- conveyor for sure. this machine will bury a slow helper if they're not johnny on the spot. this is my most pressing issue at the moment.
- table extension/modification. with two people working the machine we can go at a blistering pace. one handles all splitting. the other clears the table and brings the big chunks back for re-splits. the helper never puts his hands between the ram and the wedge, we simply toss it into the cradle and the operator is in charge of final positioning before splitting. If we're Working with a large round requiring many resplits additional table area is required. for now we have a 30 gallon drum stood on end that we just put next to the cradle opposite the operator. this is where we pile large chunks for resplits. the helper can stack them there safely and then the operator just reaches over and drags it down into the cradle when ready for them
- table grating - I'd like to built a new, bigger table with grating, much like the out-feed area of a Timberwolf to seperate the chips. this will become even more necessary when we get a conveyor going.
- table end. when I get a new or modified table going I'm going to get rid of the lip at the end. right now some pieces like to jump up off that lip, not terribly dangerous, but have seen a few bind there for a millisecond and then pop up
- fourway wedge. i believe this machine is capable of running a 4-way wedge. clearly not every log will pass through, but a good portion of the straight grain stuff should have no problem being put through a 4way. that'll improve speed on a fair amount of the material we handle.

Yeah, it would be good to come up with a reasonably quick way of emptying those bags without trashing them. Do thay have webbing pick-up hoops on the bottom corners? Have you tried lifting them upside down like that and seeing whether that trashed the bags? Alternatively, could you add a $10 charge into the wood cost and a $10 refund for the return of good bags once the customer has hand unloaded them?

If it would stand up OK with a 4-way wedge, that would be some real fast splitting production.
Would you build a slip-on wedge or some way of sliding it up and down on a pinned spline so you could use the same wedge as a 2-way by sliding it back down until the two 4-way wings are flush with the table, or some other arrangement?

we've been busy little beavers with our speedpro. we probably have about 1-1.5 cords left of our 8cord pile we hauled in the other day. everything in the pics has been split on the speedpro. we currently have 21 hours on the machine.
View attachment 204452
View attachment 204453
View attachment 204454

It took an average of 3 hours per cord with a kinetic splitter? I thought these things were supposed to be 6 times faster than a hydraulic? :laugh:

It took an average of 3 hours per cord with a kinetic splitter? I thought these things were supposed to be 6 times faster than a hydraulic? :laugh:
actually we've split around 10 cords with it so far. and I'll be damned but I can't figure out a good way to only have it run when we're splitting... :help: I know i've got at least an hour on it just from making modifications and farting around with it and seeing what else we can improve on. we turn it on, let it run, idle it down while we're not using it, rev it up and use it. all our logs come in pole length, we buck while we split. we also toss into a bag or truck while we split. You don't even count that time with a hydro machine because you can toss the splits while the ram is retracting. However on a kinetic, the ram return is darn near instant, and you lose time tossing the wood. give me a pile of blocks and i can do a cord an hour flat if i'm just letting them run off the machine into the dirt or onto a conveyor.

Season wood

When and how do you guys season the wood that you split. It has to be split to season. Wood Heat.org and others say that you want to leave it out in the sun and wind for a year for most hardwoods and white oak, ( which I have 95% of ) takes 2 years. We want to get the moisture content down to about 20 % to burn nice. In my picture is my daughter and my wood stack going into the winter of 2011. All of what you see I split with my hydro. Thank you guys for you post. It is nice to know we are not alone. See ya later, Moe

View attachment 204615

Also, here is a video of me splitting one of the large white oak logs that made up this wood pile ...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ImDoWu1Mo6s?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
actually we've split around 10 cords with it so far. and I'll be damned but I can't figure out a good way to only have it run when we're splitting... :help: I know i've got at least an hour on it just from making modifications and farting around with it and seeing what else we can improve on. we turn it on, let it run, idle it down while we're not using it, rev it up and use it. all our logs come in pole length, we buck while we split. we also toss into a bag or truck while we split. You don't even count that time with a hydro machine because you can toss the splits while the ram is retracting. However on a kinetic, the ram return is darn near instant, and you lose time tossing the wood. give me a pile of blocks and i can do a cord an hour flat if i'm just letting them run off the machine into the dirt or onto a conveyor.

I was just giving you a hard time BSD...I'm sure you don't realize just how much an engine runs until you equip it with a hour meter! If you're cutting, splitting and bagging wood in that amount of time, I think you're doing great! I'm looking forward to getting my splitter together again for a test run!

When and how do you guys season the wood that you split. It has to be split to season. Wood Heat.org and others say that you want to leave it out in the sun and wind for a year for most hardwoods and white oak, ( which I have 95% of ) takes 2 years. We want to get the moisture content down to about 20 % to burn nice. In my picture is my daughter and my wood stack going into the winter of 2011. All of what you see I split with my hydro. Thank you guys for you post. It is nice to know we are not alone. See ya later, Moe

View attachment 204615

Also, here is a video of me splitting one of the large white oak logs that made up this wood pile ...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ImDoWu1Mo6s?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lumberjackmoe,

I think the climate has a huge effect on exactly how long it takes to season wood for burning. I moved to Montana from Tennessee, and I am amazed at just how much quicker wood dries out in a dryer climate. I cut some standing green cottonwood in late spring, got it split and stacked in mid-summer, and I am burning it in my wood stove right now! If anyone has experience with cottonwood, it is the wettest, heaviest wood I have ever dealt with when it's green. In Tennessee, it would probably take more than two years to dry that out! To me, the key to seasoning wood is getting it split as soon as possible, and stack it in a location where it has plenty of sunshine and air circulation.

Seasoning firewood

I use to think my wood was seasoned until I purchased a moisture meter. I did not buy mine from Harbor Freight but they have them for $12.99. Just Bing Harbor Freight Coupons and get 10% off. I had some butts that were 22' long and about 30" in diameter that were off of the ground for over a year. White Oak. I split them and tested the moisture content on the inside portion of the split. It read about 35%. That dosen't sound like much, but they say your moisture content should be less then 20%. 35% is about 70% greater then 20%. It makes a difference. It takes 1,000 btu's to boil off 1 lb of moisture. Heat lost. They say White Oak takes 2 years to season in Indiana after being split and stacked.

I use to think my wood was seasoned until I purchased a moisture meter. I did not buy mine from Harbor Freight but they have them for $12.99. Just Bing Harbor Freight Coupons and get 10% off. I had some butts that were 22' long and about 30" in diameter that were off of the ground for over a year. White Oak. I split them and tested the moisture content on the inside portion of the split. It read about 35%. That dosen't sound like much, but they say your moisture content should be less then 20%. 35% is about 70% greater then 20%. It makes a difference. It takes 1,000 btu's to boil off 1 lb of moisture. Heat lost. They say White Oak takes 2 years to season in Indiana after being split and stacked.

Which is exactly why I cut so much ash. Cut and split green ash. Within 1 month it'll be at or below 20% and burn great. I've never had the luxury of getting very far ahead on my wood supply to let oak season.

Which is exactly why I cut so much ash. Cut and split green ash. Within 1 month it'll be at or below 20% and burn great. I've never had the luxury of getting very far ahead on my wood supply to let oak season.

I burn mostly ash for that same reason. Space is limited for me. Also, green ash is a lot lighter than green oak so I can haul more on the trailer. That said, I did get into a couple cords of oak last year. Also, I get to go cut some more oak tomorrow. I already have enough wood for 2 years so I'm not going to turn it down. I just need to figure out where to put it!

I did see TSC got a splitter this week but I have been too busy to stop and look at it, especially since I won't be buying one. I just rehabbed my 22 ton hydro and I'm saving for a destination wedding this spring. (not mine:msp_biggrin:)

Oak in Nebraska???

Mntn Man where are you finding oak at in Nebraska? I have only found elm, cottonwood, pine, and a very little black walnut (like one tree). As far as the problem for space to store it that is easy I have plenty of room right here with a little over 4 acres you can dump any of that nasty, hard to dry out, not even worth messing with, oak on my place anytime you want. After all I want to be neighborly:laugh:

Again, the key is getting it busted open ASAP and allow it plenty of air circulation and sunshine!

Thanks Tom! I ALWAYS prefer to assemble my own stuff...I KNOW it is done correctly that way, and it also allows me to become familiar with the mechanics of the unit prior to using it. I'm currently working this issue with SpeeCo. I hope to get the issue resolved and the splitter in service very soon, as I have lots of wood just waiting to be split!

Well, I got my replacement flywheels yesterday, and I got my new SpeeCo splitter put back together today and test ran it. The replacement flywheels did the trick...the bouncing and lope are way better! There is minimal vibration and movement when the splitter is running, and it's certailnly tollerable! I split about two cords of wood today with it, and man is it fast! We'll see how long it holds up...hopefully a long, long time! The technical support I received from SpeeCo and TSC was very good. They got my parts to me within a week. They were also nice enough to send me some extra hardware and a couple of spare belts. Thanks Ron and Josh! Much appreciated!

Mntn Man where are you finding oak at in Nebraska? I have only found elm, cottonwood, pine, and a very little black walnut (like one tree). As far as the problem for space to store it that is easy I have plenty of room right here with a little over 4 acres you can dump any of that nasty, hard to dry out, not even worth messing with, oak on my place anytime you want. After all I want to be neighborly:laugh:

There are a few creek drainages around here with native bur oaks. I never thought I would be able to hook up with any, but my job as a fuel hauler brings me in contact with many farmers. I have scored oak from 2 of them. This is the second tree from this guy. It washed out and fell in the creek and he was worried about it creating a dam. He was thankful that I came to help him get it out of the creek even though we broke a chain and it went through the back window of his backhoe. I hauled about 1.5 cords home. There is around 1.25 cords still there, but I ran out of steam and it is big stuff. Some of it was from the first tree he gave me last year. There is some of that one left, but I am done with it. It was a 40 inch diameter monster and what is left is mostly crotchy, nasty, big stuff. I am just throwing it in the yard until I can move some stuff around and stack it. This wood is so heavy! I wish it was ash, lol!

Seasoning Firewood ??? Sounds like a good topic for a new thread to me !! Not trying to deter good conversation...just saying.

Seasoning Firewood ??? Sounds like a good topic for a new thread to me !! Not trying to deter good conversation...just saying.

Dozer, I hear what you are saying. It's not just you :smile2:

We need some SpeedPro buyer to join in the fun.

Hey Phil,
I'm glad you got things going!!! Glad to hear Speeco is taking care of there customers (and tsc). Happy splitting!!!

TFPace,
No kidding, bring in some more "new owners" too. I'm curious to what everyone has to say about there Speedpro. I love splitting with mine.

Just tried "noodling" some pin oak rounds that were 22" to 30" at butt end. It went faster than I thought it would. I got some 36"+ (at the butt) red oak I'm gonna have to tackle soon. Not sure whether to noodle(quarter?) or roll up on the old hydro to quarter. Either way, even with our old hydro (horiz. only that sits on the ground) I will be just quartering for the Speedpro to finish. It will be much faster that way. Our hydro is fast, we hook hydraulics to 145hp dozer, but not fast like the speedpro.

Big plus to me is NOT having to work bent over or on my knees. I'll pick rounds up and split standing up all day and still be able to stand up straight at the end of the day. My friends vert. hydro used to seem like the way to go, till I tried to stand up!! 60 min. splitting with splitter in vert. position... it would take me 30 min. just to be able to stand up straight afterword.

Another small plus I've found...It seems that, for the most part anyways, the Speedpro "slices" through most of the knots. Where the hydros seem to force the splits apart, slowly, these kinetic splitters just slice through. I'm sure its the narrow wedge and the speed that its hit. It doesn't seem like a big deal, until you start stacking the wood. It makes for a lot neater stack this way, fewer knots sticking out to disrupt the stack.

Just some thoughts,
dm

Last edited:
I went past their offices on Friday, so stopped into to see if they have a showroom, they do not.

They gave me a list of their local dealers so I shall call and see how much, but would have been nice to see one.

I think I am going to get one after Christmas. I was going to build a new splitter to get more speed, but if I start from the ground up with new components I think I would end up spending more then the cost of the Speeco. I currently have a 22 ton hydraulic vertical/horizontal splitter that will work for the mean time. I have a very comfortable light folding chair that I use when I vertically split large oak and eucalyptus so I have few of those bending over issues, it just takes too long. It is usually faster to use the Fiskers splitting ax on large straight grain euc.

Just a question how do I get 20% seasoned wood when I am less then 10 miles from the ocean and the humidity is usually over 50%? I need to get out my moisture meter to see what my two year old oak is.

Just a question how do I get 20% seasoned wood when I am less then 10 miles from the ocean and the humidity is usually over 50%? I need to get out my moisture meter to see what my two year old oak is.

Move?

I would happily swap nut the distance would be an issue.

The highest I have ever registered was low 20's.

After 2 years I am in single digits.

I forgot to mention, you can only get it at TSC, an exclusive.

No TSC near me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back