New Stihl MS362RCM for me tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had a chance to sell my MS362R to a buddy this week, I bought it new in 2010. I ordered a new MS362RCM and I got a call it was set up and ready to go. It will wear a 20" and yellow chain. I really liked the standard 362 but I know how much better my MS441RCM runs compared to my old standard 441 so I thought I would upgrade. Any feedback on the M-Tronic 362's? Don't tell me I should have bought an XP or anything else as there are no stocking dealers near me, I am sure they are great saws but I am comfortable with my Stihl dealer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250
Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface

I like that type on my 261, great improvement for sure. However I never had any issues with my old 362

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250

Great Dexter, I think I will run mine this fall and send it to Randy this winter for porting

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250

My 362CR is sitting on the wrench's bench right now. After two tanks still couldn't get it to "shift" into high gear and stay there. It would come and go in power like from 70% to 90% and back to 70%. Wears a 20" with Stihl RM chain. It was so bad I showed the Dealer a video for verification. You should have seen his look when the 241C beat it by 4 seconds through a 14" hardwood cut.

The plug was covered with black/rich and the top of the piston was black like I was burning the old orange bottle oil. And all my other saws are burning perfect so it isn't the fuel mix. They think it is a solenoid? not closing and running rich. I'm no mechanic and this is what the warranty is for.

The Dealer said this was the second Mtronic with this type of problem.(He didn't specify what model) We ran his demo 362C in the same log at the shop and what a difference and what a nice saw. I'm sure this will be fixed and all will be well. But from now on I'm cutting 1/2 a dozen cookies before I leave the Dealership on an Mtronic controlled saw.

Hope yours is perfect!

Sorry to hear of your issue, I am sure it will be fixed to your satisfaction or they will give you a new saw. That's what is great about having good dealer support instead of a mail order orphan

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250

My Dealer treats me like his own. It will work out either way. Just embarrassing in front of the Tree Pros I cut with. Bragging up the saw and then she ran like a turd. Ugh. Famous words "I'll be back".

I got the saw home, didn't have time to run it. I did notice it has a 4 bolt muffler cover like my 660. Do they make a factory dual port? On my old 362 I just enlarged the stock opening with a carbide burr, what's the best way on these?? Lakeside Andy 361 style?

I love my 363C-M! It's my go-to saw even for things light jobs that I normally would do with my Husky 350.

I've yet to open up the muffler - I take it most of you are not waiting for the warranty to run out?

Good luck with your new saw OP!

I don't wait, I do it after I run it enough to make sure there are no major problems with it

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250

Yes, I do love that 362 C-M, it is a great light weight saw. That said, it is in Randy's shop as we speak. As nice as it is stock, it will be nicer a little stronger. My 362 is the little guy in my lineup. The 362 is light & smooth and cuts well (right there with the 562s). It will limb a tree like a hot knife through butter, but on larger wood it does not keep up with the 044s.

If you want to mod the muff, here is what I did (easy to do with just a drill and a piece of sheet metal, nothing fancy). Can't say that it makes much difference on a stock saw, but I'm sure it runs cooler. Instead of one large hole, I drilled one 3/8" and 2 1/4" to make it less likely to inhale debris (no screen). I also removed the factory screen.

Sorry to hear of Porche's problems, I hope he gets it worked out, and I have not heard of many problems with these saws. That said, I will warn you that the saw will generally not have full power till after about 5 or 6 tanks of fuel. Don't know if it is just break in, or if the computers system holds it back for a bit, but you will notice the difference.

Good luck with your saw, I'm sure you will like it.

Attachments

• April2014 018.jpg
    April2014 018.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 46
  • April2014 019.jpg
    April2014 019.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 44
  • April2014 020.jpg
    April2014 020.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 42
I opened up my stock port, but Randy added a 2nd port when he had it! It is a screamer now :rock:

1st photo courtesy of Randy. :)

View attachment 362791 View attachment 362793

You guys are a bad influence! I don't thing I can wait another year and a half to muf-mod my 362!

Does anyone see any problem with just cutting a horizontal line along the muffler "dimples" as shown above?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Back