New Stihl MS362RCM for me tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the new opening on the opposite side with a shield over it. The operator will not notice much noise increase, and the wood you are cutting will not catch fire.
I agree with Mike here..

Anything that is directly on the front may be a bark burner.

Some do it? Some don't. I am in the Don't crowd. I'd either enlarge the stock opening more than my pic posted? Or open it slightly and add another port on the opposite side.

Most saws respond tremendously to a muffler mod. Due to the EPA and OSHA, most are very clogged up from the factory. In more than one case, it can give a significant portion of the gains of a full port job. Also, any additional opening you add will increase noise. There's just no way around that.

Yes, but deflectors can reduce the noise directed toward the operator. It is the same principle as muzzle blast being reduced behind the firing line, unless you use one of those muzzle breaks. Fire a 357 from a revolver (w/cyl gap) and your ears will ring, fire the same cartridge from a TC w/same length barrel and they will not ring.

Mod the muffler as you would , theres no special muffler mods for ported saws , i know a guy in montana who is a faller that triple ports his mufflers but doesnt own one ported saw and is perfectly content with how they run , if not for the performance gain open it up to let some heat out

Mod the muffler as you would , theres no special muffler mods for ported saws , i know a guy in montana who is a faller that triple ports his mufflers but doesnt own one ported saw and is perfectly content with how they run , if not for the performance gain open it up to let some heat out

My 460 had a triple port before I had it ported.(enlarged stock port, dual port front cover, and a 3rd port on opposite side with deflector/ birdcage removed as well)

Open them up and Let them breathe.. :)

These newer saws don't respond to just a muffler mod like they once did. The mufflers just aren't as choked up. The strato technology, along with the M-Tronic system allows the designers to open to mufflers back up and still comply with hydrocarbon regs.

Randy , would you agree it is still beneficial to open the exhaust up to scavenge heat from the cylinder even if there are no significant performance gains? I never expected a muffler mod to give the gains as a woods porting but I think it helps and in my opinion it's good for increased durability of the engine

I put the new 362 in the wood for the first time this afternoon, my first impression was that it didn't seem as tight as other new saws have been. The M-Tronic system performed perfectly, it's a very free revving engine, as I noodled some big stuff I cut a couple of weeks ago. I plan on running it for a few more tanks then opening the muffler up. Here are a couple of pics before I got it dirty

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407698530.918405.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407698565.144246.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250
Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface

I might be sending this one to you in a month or so for you to work your magic on!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250
Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface

No Randy, I know you are booked up. I will let you know when I want to get at the end of the line. I have plenty of saws so I can do without it for however long it takes

It doesn't take long to get the saw here and home..........the appointment dates are pretty far away at this time though.

I am scheduling January 2015 right now.

Latest posts

Back