New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the best things I've ever bought is a telescopic knuckle-boom crane. We use it for so much stuff. Got a truck and larger chipper stuck in the timber a few weeks back. They pulled into a spot with trees right on the front bumper and close to both sides of the truck. Nowhere to back up or turn the truck in any way and it just sunk. I knew it was going to happen but I didn't say anything. Sometimes not saying anything is a good way to let people learn.

So the truck is buried maybe 7-8 inches. That truck isn't going anywhere. I finally said to pull the crane to a nice dry spot a ways behind the chipper. We ran chains all the way to the frame, shot the boom out all the way and just pulled it out that way. Piece of cake. Super versatile piece of equipment. I love it.
im eying up a bucket, but you can climb off the ball, and make picks (not at the same time, duh)
I can get a used crane for less than a new bucket, but insurance will be higher, IDK, I think itll be a case of get what I got cash for at the time when one comes up

I see. that all makes sense. Anfter a while if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. Looks like the welder really did a nice job. Paint job looks pretty good if I may say? You have some experience with that green paint! What's the name of that color or is it a close guarded secret?

I think I saw a ******** post about treevet going with the cmc 92. From what I remember he dawged on you pretty good for using a lift. Funny how things work out in the end.

My easy lift will be here next month. Fingers crossed. These ash trees are getting bad over here in western Massachusetts.

Fix came out good. It’s actually an old school Chevy color, GM code 46, Woodland Green. Used to be called Forest Green I think.! I love it but sometimes it almost makes me wanna puke I get so sick of looking at it. A little late to change now. Pretty much as simple as it gets though. Non metallic makes it easy to fake in too. I have a auto paint store that puts it spray cans for me. Real handy for fixes like that.

My guys (well, the one I can trust, while the other stood around looking as stupid as usual lol) did the blades on the chipper yesterday while I sharpened some saws. Then we went out and chipped four spruce trees entirely. One trunk was at least 20” and lumpy as hell even though I shaved it up pretty good. I was amazed that the machine chowed it up without even blinking. Even after four solid years I sometimes forget what that thing can do. Looks like it’s gonna be the week of spruce chipping, so good time for new knives. I’m almost considering putting the chip top on the log truck for the next job.

You’re gonna love having a lift. It felt like I was cheating when I first started using mine. I found the learning curve a little stressful (mostly just traveling on our hills and slopes/worrying about flipping it over). I’m old school, so I guess it was probably even worse for me at first, was just so new to me after all the years.
012F62DA-CDF6-410F-9047-C2E615B7AADF.jpeg4DEA235A-09F0-4646-97B7-0A09C69E4E99.jpeg

im eying up a bucket, but you can climb off the ball, and make picks (not at the same time, duh)
I can get a used crane for less than a new bucket, but insurance will be higher, IDK, I think itll be a case of get what I got cash for at the time when one comes up
In your case a crane could take the place of a loader as well, put the big wood right in the dump trailer

In your case a crane could take the place of a loader as well, put the big wood right in the dump trailer
gonna get a chipper, and either a chip box for my F350, or a dedicated chip truck, mini skid with a BMG next, then bucket or crane
to fit a whole tree in this trailer you have to strip off every limb, anything bigger than 1/2" gets cut off, takes way too long

so much for that prune, showed up, dogs were out and they moved a car directly under the tree, I go to knock on the door and get bit 3 times, dad knocks and gets bit twice, I texted and called with no answer, we left

good way to start the day
ffs

If Manson & son rolled up in Moonshine at my place & started giving side-eye to the trees, I'd hope my dogs give them a bit of toothwork as well.

Fix came out good. It’s actually an old school Chevy color, GM code 46, Woodland Green. Used to be called Forest Green I think.! I love it but sometimes it almost makes me wanna puke I get so sick of looking at it. A little late to change now. Pretty much as simple as it gets though. Non metallic makes it easy to fake in too. I have a auto paint store that puts it spray cans for me. Real handy for fixes like that.

My guys (well, the one I can trust, while the other stood around looking as stupid as usual lol) did the blades on the chipper yesterday while I sharpened some saws. Then we went out and chipped four spruce trees entirely. One trunk was at least 20” and lumpy as hell even though I shaved it up pretty good. I was amazed that the machine chowed it up without even blinking. Even after four solid years I sometimes forget what that thing can do. Looks like it’s gonna be the week of spruce chipping, so good time for new knives. I’m almost considering putting the chip top on the log truck for the next job.

You’re gonna love having a lift. It felt like I was cheating when I first started using mine. I found the learning curve a little stressful (mostly just traveling on our hills and slopes/worrying about flipping it over). I’m old school, so I guess it was probably even worse for me at first, was just so new to me after all the years.
View attachment 987224View attachment 987223

How many hours do you generally put on your Bandit before doing the knives?

I aim for about 50 hours before a rotate or putting sharpened knives on. Comes around quickly, but makes it so much easier on machine & better quality chip for re-sale.

I see. that all makes sense. Anfter a while if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. Looks like the welder really did a nice job. Paint job looks pretty good if I may say? You have some experience with that green paint! What's the name of that color or is it a close guarded secret?

I think I saw a ******** post about treevet going with the cmc 92. From what I remember he dawged on you pretty good for using a lift. Funny how things work out in the end.

My easy lift will be here next month. Fingers crossed. These ash trees are getting bad over here in western Massachusetts.
trevet has proved what jealous hypocrite he really is. trying to impress the world one ******** post at a time. posted a picture of his insurance cert as though its the first time he got one. (maybe it is) i hope he was able to special order that lift painted with roller applied orange house paint! it would be a shame not to have it match the rest of the fleet.

did return lines on my truck, also took up the stretch in the throttle cable with a few zip ties, definitely gobs more power (throttle actually goes to W.O.T on the injection pump)
that is an upside to modern stuff, electrons dont stretch, although sensors wear out, and those are hundreds of $$$, my fix was bout free

I'm going to be selling a pretty decent crane pretty soon.....like....whenever I have the time to start advertising it. It's pretty perfect for taking down trees. There is nothing wrong with it and it's inspections (crane and DOT) are current. I'm just about to sell a bunch of equipment. Send me a PM if you want to talk about it privately.

gonna get a chipper, and either a chip box for my F350, or a dedicated chip truck, mini skid with a BMG next, then bucket or crane
to fit a whole tree in this trailer you have to strip off every limb, anything bigger than 1/2" gets cut off, takes way too long
One thing at a time. A decent chipper will go a long way. I've seen some guys throw a chip box on their dump trailer too.

I also have an older Vermeer 1250 that is going and a pretty nice Morbark with about 400-450 hours on it. Neither are all rusted out. Probably going to have a couple of bucket trucks, dump trucks (that you can chip into) and tracked backyard boom. Anyone who is interested.....send me a message and I will give you my number.

Sorry to thread-jack. This is just the tread he posted is so I quoted it.

I also have an older Vermeer 1250 that is going and a pretty nice Morbark with about 400-450 hours on it. Neither are all rusted out. Probably going to have a couple of bucket trucks, dump trucks (that you can chip into) and tracked backyard boom. Anyone who is interested.....send me a message and I will give you my number.

Where is the "magical cow kingdom"? I'd be interested in a couple things if you're not horrendously far.

That's a fair bit of gear, are you shutting up shop or just consolidating the fleet?

One thing at a time. A decent chipper will go a long way. I've seen some guys throw a chip box on their dump trailer too.

I used a box on tipper trailer when first got a chipper. Works well for certain applications, having to have two tow vehicles is a bit inconvenient at times, but does the job. Still use it on occasions when can't fit the truck into places.

That's a fair bit of gear, are you shutting up shop or just consolidating the fleet?

Haven't decided for sure what the future holds but that equipment is basically stuff that we don't use a lot. For now, it's business as usual but at some point I think my son will buy the business from me. If he doesn't, then I will probably sell everything. Not right now though.

Holy smokes that is an awsome set up. Love the chip top on the log truck. Talk about capacity!

I'm looking at a 2018 19xpc with the 165hp gm motor with 740hrs for 55 Grand. Always garaged and in top shape. Not thrilled to go gas but I think it will be a lot more productive than my diesel 97hp 1390xp 15 inch chipper. Thoughts anyone?

Latest posts

Back