New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
picked up a sticker cutter and some vinyl for my bucket truck, doing my own decals for it
and business cards are in the mail (EVERYONE wants them)
going to get some chipdrop stickers as well, for the truck and trailer
what do you guys use for general liability? looking for a 2 million dollar policy, we use next but they really suck for trees (I think over 30ft and 14" diameter doesnt get covered)
and maybe something that has a slightly smaller deductible (mine is $25K)

Are you capable of doing 2 mil in damages skinning up a rhododendron?? :laugh:

This sounds like a good plan for you and Pa! Lol. 14… 14” trees….
tennessee law states I must have 2 million in general liability for tree work
its cheaper for me to pay out of pocket rather than use my insurance short of replacing a house, but the government wants money

tennessee law states I must have 2 million in general liability for tree work
its cheaper for me to pay out of pocket rather than use my insurance short of replacing a house, but the government wants money
Call a local broker. They can package your commercial auto, liability, and workers comp for when you start hiring employees. It doesn't hurt to get an inland marine policy to cover your equipment as well.

We use Amerisafe, which covers high risk construction contractors like arborists and roofers.

It's much better to be properly insured and not pay out of pocket. No one plans to have accidents. It's very important for your customers to know their property is covered. If your current ins. co knew what you were doing they would drop you immediately.

We've had a handful of claims over the 10+ years I've owned tree businesses. It was worth every penny.

Don't walk, run to get properly insured.... And get ready to open up your wallet.

Call a local broker. They can package your commercial auto, liability, and workers comp for when you start hiring employees. It doesn't hurt to get an inland marine policy to cover your equipment as well.

We use Amerisafe, which covers high risk construction contractors like arborists and roofers.

It's much better to be properly insured and not pay out of pocket. No one plans to have accidents. It's very important for your customers to know their property is covered. If your current ins. co knew what you were doing they would drop you immediately.

We've had a handful of claims over the 10+ years I've owned tree businesses. It was worth every penny.

Don't walk, run to get properly insured.... And get ready to open up your wallet.
thanks mike, definitely want to drop next and get a legit insurance company
ive only ever damaged 2 fences, first one was a single picket off a fence that was being torn down anyways (we still fixed it), second one was popping a single strand of barbed wire, had an oak top that fell on a dudes garage (storm damage), with a cable line going through the tree, and HV lines right near it (we were bellow, zero chance of contact), due to the wires in the tree I forgot about the fence, had a piece land tip heavy and bounce back into the fence
never made an insurance claim, and never had to pay out of pocket for damage or injuries, the way I work is so that even if something fails the damage isnt too great (small pieces, one at a time, extra care around windows)

That house looks downright spooky?
I know right. It's actually the back of the barn.
thanks mike, definitely want to drop next and get a legit insurance company
ive only ever damaged 2 fences, first one was a single picket off a fence that was being torn down anyways (we still fixed it), second one was popping a single strand of barbed wire, had an oak top that fell on a dudes garage (storm damage), with a cable line going through the tree, and HV lines right near it (we were bellow, zero chance of contact), due to the wires in the tree I forgot about the fence, had a piece land tip heavy and bounce back into the fence
never made an insurance claim, and never had to pay out of pocket for damage or injuries, the way I work is so that even if something fails the damage isnt too great (small pieces, one at a time, extra care around windows)
Sounds like you have it all figured out! I would stay with next insurance and stay under the 30' trees/14" diameter.

But if you do want to step up the insurance coverage just go to your local broker. Google local insurance coverage near you.

Good luck! Stay safe!

I know right. It's actually the back of the barn.

Sounds like you have it all figured out! I would stay with next insurance and stay under the 30' trees/14" diameter.

But if you do want to step up the insurance coverage just go to your local broker. Google local insurance coverage near you.

Good luck! Stay safe!
next covers maybe 2% of the work I do, we dont do small trees, typically we get the big nasty ones that the big companies wont touch

next covers maybe 2% of the work I do, we dont do small trees, typically we get the big nasty ones that the big companies wont touch
Helmstien has some good advice.

I think what you've done so far is pretty exceptional when other kids your age spend all their time playing video games. I appreciate that you are a real "go-getter" willing to take risks on a business and be your own man.

That said, at your age and experience level you should stick with smaller, easier jobs. You could easily market a brush chipping service and "small jobs" and do well. Funny thing is that stacking small, easier jobs can be a better money maker than doing the difficult ones. With just you and your equipment you can easily make 1000-1500 per day like that. Getting a stump grinder will help you with this strategy too.

If I can be painfully honest with you, I'm trying to imagine a customer, after having larger companies turn them down, be willing to hire a 16 year old for a large, dangerous tree. If I can be totally frank, it seems immoral of them to put you at that kind of risk.

An overconfident attitude is what gets people seriously injured or killed and I'm concerned about you.

I don't mean to take the wind out of your sails. I think your work ethic is pretty awesome and I know you can do really well with the right strategy. I just don't want you to die.

Back