New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kind of psyched for you. That’s a pretty exciting move.

It’s interesting to me to see other companies, the equipment they run, etc. Also interesting to me is how our roots influence our businesses. Like how you said you started for a company that had cranes, etc. Back in the day I worked for one guy that liked crane work, but it wasn’t like we did it everyday. The couple others I worked for never really did crane work. I guess that’s part of why I never jumped right into the whole crane thing. I definitely see it as being a bad ass move though. Congratulations on that!
Thanks for positive vibes man. This will be by far the largest purchase I’ve ever made (besides my house), but I’m a lot more comfortable with it because I know what to expect with it. I’d be very apprehensive buying some piece of equipment without fully knowing what to expect.

I just want to feel comfortable buying which ever crane I choose, so that’s why I walked away from that Altec. Purchasing it outright really puts a damper on my bank account, so avoiding a big repair expense right off the bat would be ideal. Ha

@epicklein22 I’m guessing the reason they offered the altec for 10k less is because that’s the low end of what the “ten year” maintenance cost on those. Not sure what all that entails but I’m pretty sure the boom needs to be separated
@tree MDS Thanks Paul. I’ll be contacting tracked lifts soon. The rental / demo of the CMC isn’t going well. Pretty sure it messed itself up good today. Something went wrong with a sensor I think and when I did the manual over ride so I could get the thing loaded, it shut off and had no intentions of restarting. I’ll be up late reading the book trying to figure out how to bypass something to get it loaded Monday. It’s only about 100’ out of my radius to pick it up with the crane😆

I can’t stand those zubats. They’re like a caveman tool compared to the fine toothed gomtaro.

Some spruce or jap maple deadwood and that big ass piece of crap will be so dull you might as well be trying to cut cast iron pipe lol. Not to be negative or discouraging or anything, but just saying.

I can’t stand those zubats. They’re like a caveman tool compared to the fine toothed gomtaro.

Some spruce or jap maple deadwood and that big ass piece of crap will be so dull you might as well be trying to cut cast iron pipe lol. Not to be negative or discouraging or anything, but just saying.
Whereas I think the Zubat pisses all over the Gomtaro 😂
all about how you use them

I cant get a silky blade to last nearly as long as people say they will
but, if I can get a few months out of a blade im happy, it stays on my saddle and gets used for little suckers and smaller limbs too close to a rope to use the trim saw

im liking the new thread, feels like less of a pissin contest
we are all human, none of us are better than anyone else
my sh*t dont stink

I should also note, I am cutting hardwood 99% of the time, of course the blades wont last quite as long, I think the finer teeth stay sharper due to spreading a little wear over allot of teeth vs lots of wear over fewer teeth, but IDK
as long as it cuts, and my arms don't hurt after a few cuts im happy

Also interesting to me is how our roots influence our businesses
That is very interesting. The guy I started out working for one-handed everything from the bucket so that's the way I do it. Grab branch with one hand and cut with the other (Kevlar gloves though). Or bear hug a chunk and cut one handed (below the lip of the bucket for safety) then hoist it on your shoulder to toss it.

He did tree work for 35 years and never cut his left arm. Seems to me top handle saws are designed to be one- handed

Also I have pretty much the same equipment setup he had, bucket truck, chipper, loader.. but after reading this and the last thread, now I want all the toys

Guess I must be a caveman then....

Find the Zubat sit's nicely on right calf, with or without spikes. Compact enough to not notice it, still enough length to be useful.

Picked up a Sugoi some time back, wanting some more 'aggressive' cutting. Got a more aggression than I wanted!!

Bloody tree tiger alright.... thing is dangerous, has teeth like a great white, unless your charging into 200mm wood with it, it's safer staying in the gear bag. Plus like to use my hand saws for reaching rigging lines when in awkward spots, the Sugoi has a sickle on the hook which isn't so ideal for hooking lines.

The chipper locked itself out to regen at a very inconvenient time yesterday but would not finish the regen. Had to take it to cat to force it through and clear the codes... so much for a passive system
What model of chipper? Can well imagine how much hassle that could cause on a chipper.

DPF or what ever acronym you want you use is bloody painful.

Never heard a good story about it yet. Only have it on one of my trucks, but that is more than enough hassle, with the crane PTO causing frequent issues with the system. Think I'm up for five or six call outs in nine months for blocked manual burn / engine warning light / limp mode on crane truck.

Well, at the risk of jinxing myself, I've had no real issues with the newer diesels. My chipper has all that crap and I've got right around 1000 hrs on it. Ram has 38,000 or so on it... bucket is still a baby with only 1800 pto hours on it. Fancy Pants is way too soon to tell. I have a strong suspicion that a lot of these issues people have with these newer diesels come from them being run improperly... too much low idling, is my thought. I could be wrong though. I just run things the way the manufacturers told me. Low idling is the devil.

I’m flattered that you think that much of my opinion! I mean that. I hope it works out for you if you guys do get one. Obviously I’ll be here to answer any questions I can and give any tips or whatever. They’ve been pretty good to me so far. Gotta realize I’ve never flown any other make of lift also, but I think it’s a good move. If you wanna give me a call sometime I’d be glad to share my experiences (both good and bad) in more detail. Just pm me and I’ll give you my cell.

It’d be cool to hear what another tree vet (lmao) thinks of working with one.
you dont need to use that swear word on the new thread.

Thanks for positive vibes man. This will be by far the largest purchase I’ve ever made (besides my house), but I’m a lot more comfortable with it because I know what to expect with it. I’d be very apprehensive buying some piece of equipment without fully knowing what to expect.

I just want to feel comfortable buying which ever crane I choose, so that’s why I walked away from that Altec. Purchasing it outright really puts a damper on my bank account, so avoiding a big repair expense right off the bat would be ideal. Ha
good move on walking away on the altec

A big crane is a definite thought someday, but I have to say, this thread I saw somewhere on the Hoeflon C10 mini crane has really gotten my interest. I mean how cool would something like that be for lending a hand on backyard spider lift removals. Might just be one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. I could almost see paying off the first lift and adding something like this down the line. Similar cost to the Omme’s and about 1200 pounds less. Think about it, same trailers, same plywood, mats, whatever. It’s a really interesting thought to me.

Back