New to me McCulloch 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned the carb (no rebuild kit yet) and I can see fuel being sprayed down the throat now. Replaced plug. And...

Nope, probably just doesn't have enough in the coil to get a spark out. Used (tested good) coil should be here Wednesday.

Looks like the oil pump works. With all the cranking it's actually getting oil on the chain. I suppose that's a good sign given it runs off pulses from the engine.

Clay

Wow. So far this thing is a cool looking paperweight.

Used/ tested coil installed. Super hard for me to test for spark as I gave away my spark testing tool, however, pulling the wire I saw no spark, and resting the plug on the saw with the wire attached, again I saw no spark. Sunny CA afternoon though.

Magnet is good on the flywheel I found. That's promising. Fuel is going *through* the engine I found as I turned it on it's side and the muffler drained. Although the cylinder has a great mirror shine inside, maybe the piston/ ring(s) is jacked up? I'm still not even getting a good sputter out of this thing.

I see a teardown in my future!

Clay

May want to disconnect the kill switch wire at the coil and see if you get any spark. If you do, wire maybe shorted out. How much of a gap do you have between the coil and flywheel magnets, I use a business card to set mine.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

I'm sure I'll get some time soon to get another look. Having a 6 year old daughter in the house makes things difficult at times!

The gap is pretty tight... not rubbing at least. I'll try the business card trick. I did disconnect the kill switch, and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I'm still leaning towards compression. Maybe probably. The little Echo 4400 has more pop to it pulling the cord than this beast. I may just start tearing it down anyway; give it a good detail & paint for photos, and hopefully once assembled it'll run and get used. A lot.

Clay

Many of those saws (maybe most?) have 2 thin rings. I had one with low compression due to ring wear and best price I found was $40 for 2 NOS thin rings. That's more than I'll put into this saw model. Parted it out.

I'd get it firing before I'd pull it down. Check the coil gap to see what you have. My 5 year old grandson love to do what ever I'm doing, whether it's driving one of the tractors or running the exivater. If it runs and move, he wants on.

Many of those saws (maybe most?) have 2 thin rings. I had one with low compression due to ring wear and best price I found was $40 for 2 NOS thin rings. That's more than I'll put into this saw model. Parted it out.
My 605 has thick rings, 610 could be thick or thin, all had two rings. 40 not bad to get a saw running.

As Roscoe:
"Bad news Boss, bad news"

IMG_0358.sized.jpg

I set the coil gap to .010 and can confirm spark! But looking at that piston, and the bottom of the cylinder, it's pretty trashed.

So. New (or used) piston and rings, or maybe find a 650 piston & cylinder? There is some galling near the transfer ports in the cylinder, but not above them. Turning over the engine with the muffler removed, you can see most of the mixture squishing out past the piston.

Clay

That piston/ring is a bummer. Keep your eyes open for estate sales/yard sales. I've bought 3 x Pm610 that way. Also, you put an ad on CL "Want to buy old McCulloch saws"

There are lots of those saws available at yard sales, etc. at very reasonable prices. You might want to find a good one and use that one for parts. I knew by reading this post that you had something amiss with this saw as they usually aren't that hard to start. I keep a 605 that I bought at a flea market and it was a little hard to start but a carb change fixed that problem. Normally these saws will hold close to 200 compression..

Unfortunately there aren't too many around my area. If I wanted to drive a few hours that would be a different story.

I see a lot of parts on ebay; it's hard to tell though the difference between the 55cc engines and 60cc engines, especially since they are all listed as fitting a 605, 610, 650 etc. I did see this though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-610-M...684028?hash=item27e56a75fc:g:0IgAAOxyAbxTk8vB

Looks like a decent cylinder and piston. Of course, having more than 1 available, I undoubtedly won't get the set in the photo.

But here's a complete engine, however listed for 605, 610, 650...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/McCULLOCH-C...651529?hash=item51f8de07c9:g:3nAAAOSwH09ZJYnX

I'd certainly lean towards getting the most out of this saw. Now's the time for us to grab free wood for next winter... and there's plenty around at the moment!

Clay

Latest posts

Back