New to me McCulloch 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good piston & cylinder arrived today. Very very nice condition. Apparently this was from a Super 610, not a 650, which I'm sure will work just fine. Thin rings on the good piston.

So, I tore into it this evening. Sure is simple to work on!

IMG_0380.sized.jpg

IMG_0381.sized.jpg

IMG_0382.sized.jpg

Didn't take long to get that far. I have tomorrow off (our daughter's last day of Kindergarten) so I'm hoping to have everything cleaned up, painted, and maybe even running by the weekend. We'll see.

Clay

I do have to wonder what happened to it. Straight gas? Overheated? Ate chips? The airbox was clean, but of course that doesn't mean much.

Clay

Yup, both sides alright. The exhaust side is worse with the rings worn down to the piston. Wow... some people!

Clay

Good news! This thing runs.

Well, it runs & smokes for 5 seconds and quits, but it's burning fuel when it can. Now on to the next step, carb. I'm debating on getting a carb kit for the Walbro that's on there, or get a new carb for it. Not that I have time at the moment though. Since our daughter got out of school, we've been trying to keep her as busy as possible!

Clay

Good news! This thing runs.

Well, it runs & smokes for 5 seconds and quits, but it's burning fuel when it can. Now on to the next step, carb. I'm debating on getting a carb kit for the Walbro that's on there, or get a new carb for it. Not that I have time at the moment though. Since our daughter got out of school, we've been trying to keep her as busy as possible!

Clay
Rebuild it...Easy carb to rebuild & will probably work out better in the long run. The PM610 is a great old saw....Heavy, loud and ugly but really hard to kill!!!

Only thing I hate about my 605 besides the weight is that the chain break handle is too close to the top handle. It's ok in the summer cause my gloves have less padding, but in cold weather when I have on thicker gloves the back side of my hand constantly hits it. Needs 2 more inches of clearance from the handle.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

I'm super stoked to get this running good. I've still got some rounds out back to test it in too once it's there. I like that photo Wood Doctor, looks like a good setup. Pretty good load for that Ranger?

Clay

I'm super stoked to get this running good. I've still got some rounds out back to test it in too once it's there. I like that photo Wood Doctor, looks like a good setup. Pretty good load for that Ranger?

Clay
Not bad, but about 3/4 of what it can carry. That's really dry wood I cut for it here in this Pic, mostly cottonwood and elm. Green wood loads my Ranger up much more (and any other truck). I bucked most of it with the Stihl 361 using a 20" bar and then noodle cut the halves with the Mac and a 28" bar. I was really impressed with how well the big Mac handled the 28" bar. I cannot recall it ever stalling out. Good sharp chains on both saws was important to say the least.

I split all of these dry rounds into campfire wood bundles and sold them all in two weeks -- about 50 bundles as I recall.

Smoking could be from the automatic oil pump, if the diaphragm leaks a little it will pull bar oil into the crankcase. Let it run for a minute, it should clear up.

Mark
I run into this all the time with my My 605 as well. I think they fixed that with the 5700. It's s slight nuisance. After about 30 seconds of running, the smoke clears. One of my friends said, "Leave it alone. That saw has some character. It's just trying to talk to you and announcing its presence."

I am happy to say that I finally had time to get some work in on this saw, and it fired up quickly, was easy to tune, and runs great. I did end up rebuilding the carb that was on it though. Nice poppy idle to it and some awesome torque.

IMG_1645.sized.jpg

IMG_1644.sized.jpg

Although I filled up the oil reservoir, it doesn't appear to be oiling much if at all. I'm willing to bet the oil pump was just so dried out it's not even operating anymore. So, that's next.

Clay

Latest posts

Back