New to me Partner saw and most pleasing C/L transaction.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got to say that a member here pointed a C/L listing for a nice Partner P70 out to me. Well it wasnt near me or him so I was kinda hesitant about another long distance deal with a stranger.

No phone # was listed in the add but I decided to email the seller anyway just to feel them out. In his add he listed he said he bought it new and just didnt need it anymore and thought it might be of interest to a collector.

Long story short, he replied that he was happy that a collector was interested in it, he would ship it and gave me his number to call. He was a older retired fella who bought it new when he lived in WI back in 1982. He ended up retireing to NC and hadnt really used it in about 12-14 years but kept it up in running shape.

He seemed to love that saw alot and seemed happy that it would go into a collection with other Partners and be run now and again at GTG's and such. He made it easy on me when he offered to ship me the saw to inspect and either send it back or send the payment then. I just about fell off my chair when he offered that deal.

Needless to say I had him send the saw. It is very good orginal condition complete with the original owners manual, parts list, 1982 Partner sales brochure and a copy of the original sales reciept! :msp_thumbup:

It also came with 2 Carlton 2AL chains a original Lincoln lubrimatic grease gun, and the original Partner scrench and wrench.

It came packed very secure as well and is in excellent condition. I took some pictures and gave it a quick check over the started it up. It runs like new. I didnt check the P/C or compression but I know it would be a waste of time, as he took very good care of this saw. I believe the bar on it to be original as well. Its getting wore but a new tip and a dressing will last it the rest of its life here.

I'm very happy to have this nice piece of Partner history here and will give it a run in some wood soon as it got dark on me tonight.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sooo neat that it is a one owner saw and he was that open and trusting to let you check it out before paying!!! It just might be awhile before you have another experience like that! You must be livin' right and paying forward the positive karma as some of it came back to you with this deal!! :rock::msp_thumbup:

Exxcellent score Mark It is very refreshing to find there are still good people in the world these days. When you have something that you really like but no longer can or have a use for it you always wish it goes to someone who can appreciate it as much as you did. That ol guy found one... Short (hopefully) story..yrs ago it was known that there was this old Harley in a garage that had been there 10-12 yrs as it's owner had passed away. The oldest son had inherited it and couldn't make it go but would not part with either as it was "dads ride" and his most valued posession. Everyone had tried to buy it with no luck. One day I was going buy his house and thought WTH I haven't tried or been turned down yet so I stoped and had a chat with him. We went down to the old garage and sitting there was a 1959 FLH full dress and all stock, covered in hay and pigeon poo......(Harley guys wet dream!!) so I asked if I could buy it.....he says well if you can get it going we'll talk...we set a time for the following Wed. night and I tried so desperately not to do a little dance on the way back to my truck. He charged the battery and I got some oil and fresh gas and we met as agreed...I went over it checking points, fuel etc. and then came the moment...I fully retarded the spark and then advanced it just a few degrees, flipped the choke, cracked the throttle just a whisker, brought her up on compression and gave her a flip. She popped on the second kick, I took it offf full choke and she fired and ran on the third kick........ We cut the deal right then...he said $2,000.00 I said $1,200.00 we agreed at $1,500.00 and he wouldn't take a down payment but gave me 30 days to come up with the cash. Years later I met his sister through a mutual friend and she wanted a ride on "Dads" bike for herself and her teenage daughter...I complied and we got talking about how I happened to be the one who Bruce considered worthy. She said that he told her that when I fired that bike the first time in three kicks, after it had set all those years that he could tell I was the one who would keep it nice, value it beyond it's worth and always have it with me. Many had offerd way much more than I did and nagged him endlessly. That was 1978...I was 24 yrs old...$1,500.00 was lot of money to me then......the FLH ???? Oh it's down stairs, up on the bike lift where it lives when I'm not riding it so I can enjoy just sitting and looking at it, at eye level, remembering all the good times. Bruce has never regretted parting company with the bike because he knows it went to a better place than it had been and his father would have been proud.

Robin, thats a good story and you "get it" as far as my brief description went.

The fella asked if I would later send a picture of this saw with my other Partners and the rest of my collection. He seemed very happy that it was going someplace to be cared for and appreciated.

It is also refreshing to me to aquire a piece like this that has been cared for all these years like this as well.

That is a nice story Mark (and Robin). We all like to know things we treasure are also valued by others. That Partner has gone to a good home and the original owner will always think fondly of it. Bet he rings you from time to time to ask how it is going. And you will look after it too, knowing its history.
Please let us know how it performs as compared to the 7000. Partner made a lot of different cylinders in the 55/65/70 cc range; and they could certainly make good runners.

Al.

Robin, thats a good story and you "get it" as far as my brief description went.

The fella asked if I would later send a picture of this saw with my other Partners and the rest of my collection. He seemed very happy that it was going someplace to be cared for and appreciated.

It is also refreshing to me to aquire a piece like this that has been cared for all these years like this as well.

Yes that makes quite a difference to have it be nice when you get it and not have go to the work to make it that way from something ill cared for. Good luck with it!!

That is a nice story Mark (and Robin). We all like to know things we treasure are also valued by others. That Partner has gone to a good home and the original owner will always think fondly of it. Bet he rings you from time to time to ask how it is going. And you will look after it too, knowing its history.
Please let us know how it performs as compared to the 7000. Partner made a lot of different cylinders in the 55/65/70 cc range; and they could certainly make good runners.

Al.

Al, the brochure that came with this saw list the P70 as having the T port cyl on it. Seems if I remember right Duane said the early T ports were one of the better closed port cyls? I might not be right on that though....

Yes that makes quite a difference to have it be nice when you get it and not have go to the work to make it that way from something ill cared for. Good luck with it!!

Nice is one thing but just being clean is another plus... :cheers:

Nice catch, I chuckled when I seen that myself.

Looks like I will get to compare the P70 to my 7000+ in the wood sometime myself now.

That will be interesting, Partner claimed 10% more power for the 7000+ in a broshure, or 3.5 kW vs. 3.1......

Cool saws anyway! :msp_biggrin:

Last edited:
That will be interesting, Partner claimed 10% more power for the 7000+ in a broshure, or 3.5 kW vs. 3.1......

Cool saws anyway! :msp_biggrin:

Yes it is a cool saw.

Got to run it today just a little bit but it runs good. It has been quite some time since I ran the 7000+ but by going off of memory of how it ran, the 10% figure is probably about right. Sometime I will run them both together.

Chris come over today and we ran a nice Jred 70 at the same time we were running the P70 and we took turns with them. As far as power and speed, I would say there pretty close. The 70 is louder and sounds like its getting more done but I dont think it really is. If it is its not very much at all.

The P70 is somewhat smoother and quieter but make no mistake they will both put alot of wood in the truck in a day.

I also got another saw today as well and we run it a little as well. I finally delt Chris out of this one. Another Swede... :msp_ohmy:

attachment.php

Back