New Wood Hauler..Maybe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking im going to sell my wood hauler (97' Chev 1500 short box x-cab). Needs some work soon yet it's cosmetically better than 95 percent of Minnesota vehicles from that era as I don't drive it much in the winter. It's a high school boys dream as it's got the 350 Vortec and is clean enough to look nice so it should move along quickly.

I'll probably see if I can pick up a long box X cab (hopefully a 2500) from down south and drive it up in the spring.

Buying trucks from outside of the rust belt is the way to go. I can't wrap my mind around people selling half eaten trucks up here for the same money they go for elsewhere with the clear coat still on them.

Going to a 3/4 ton with a long bed is a big upgrade for hauling wood.

It's a high school boys dream as it's got the 350 Vortec and is clean enough to look nice so it should move along quickly.

When I was in high school I had to walk about a mile each way, whether sunny, raining, dark winter mornings, or blowing snow. We dressed accordingly. My parents had one car, and dad drove it to work.

My wife replaced her 01 Tahoe last year and she's been doubling the payments on her Lexus to pay it off. Keeps saying she wants me to get a newer truck. I love my 99 Ram, it only has 140K on it, and it looked brand new when I got it from my sister 5 years ago. It had been garage kept till I got it. Now the clear coat is shot and it's fading, only 1 rust spot. I had to replace the computer, exhaust and tires last year. It's old and stuff is starting to wear out. I started looking at the Ram Ecodiesel 3.0 v6 diesel. My nephew is a Dodge mechanic and said stay away from the little V6. But, most of what I've read has been pretty good, and every report I've read says it hits it's EPA rating of 28 MPG highway right on the head. Think I'll test drive a new one to see if I like it. My 99 only gets about 13 highway and 9.5 with the dump trailer on it, Joe.

Lots of rust free vehicles here. Just need to avoid the ones parked near the ocean or the ones that are totally sun baked.

Not sure where your looking but keep in mind there was alot of flooding in 2017 near the Gulf and around Florida to up half the Eastern seaboard. Be wary of them good deals...

Not sure where your looking but keep in mind there was alot of flooding in 2017 near the Gulf and around Florida to up half the Eastern seaboard. Be wary of them good deals...
Yes !!! Here in pa we got a lot of cars that had been flodded in the storm surge in NJ . What a mess they where . Pretty easy to tell . Look o see the dash and the seats and see if the bare metal is unusually rusted . Now fresh water flood is harder to tell . Also doesn’t trash stuff as badly . Control units and modules can get very expensive . Sell your truck when your ready and go on a trip out of the rust belt and find a truck .

Not too worried about flooding around where I'm at. Highest point in FL is only about an hour away. And I'd be avoiding the beach vehicles anyhow.

There are a lot of good trucks in FL. I've been watching diesel Dodges for several years. People retire and get a big diesel to pull a motor home around the country. After a year or so they buy a house on a golf course and don't need the big truck anymore, low mileage, never seen wood or dirt, no grubby tree guys climbing in and out. There are some good deals too if you are patient and get to know some of the older folks in the neighborhood, good luck, Joe.

I agree. I really do not need a diesel though as the truck will sit most of the time. But if I could find a nice truck similar to what I have but in long box that would be nice.

Keep the truck, add airbags. Buy a trailer to haul the wood. Spend "upgrade" money on another item to make things easier to process the wood

I had 97 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel that was probably the best truck I've ever owned. I put a boatload of miles on it, about 350,000, no really. It plowed snow, hauled wood, and generally got it's butt kicked all the time. Got better that 20mpg unloaded. I paid 5 grand for it used.

A trailer is by far the cheapest and most economical way to haul wood. Even 8' bed are pretty limited in capacity.

I have a very solid 5x8 utility trailer that can haul 3/4 cord easy. I do want a different truck to get ahead of the rust and upcoming maintenance on the one I have.

See a lot of guys have one truck as a wood hauler. I have two and I'd be lost without either one. The Yoter sneaks through the woods sipping fuel, laughing at any terrain. The f250 would be worthless in the woods but with 2/3 of a cord of oak the springs don't move.

Latest posts

Back