New wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Splitter it will serve you well, the one thing to rememebr the big stores are very good about taking things back and giving you a new one if there is any problems.

Congratulations on the splitter. It looks like a nice one. Dont let these guys get to you, the best splitter for you is one that you like. A guy I cut and split with knocked my Tractor Supply splitter, he thinks if you dont have a Honda engine you dont have anything. The engine is only part of the package, my Briggs has run perfectly, my splitter is faster than his and will split some stuff that his wont. I am happy with mine and I am sure you will be happy with yours, like I said it looks like a nice splitter.

There's nothing wrong with the Briggs engine's. I've got an old Duer splitter with a 5 hp Brigg's IC engine, probably not as good as a Honda, it's only been running for 16 years with no problem's. Only God know's how many cord's of wood it has split.

Andy

New Splitter

Congratulations!

I hope you enjoy your new splitter just as much as I have enjoyed mine!

Looks just like mine, except mine is a Troy-Built (MTD Group?) with a 5.5 HP Honda engine that I got from Lowe's as a present from my wife. Your Briggs should work just fine.

So what if it isn't some snooty splitter? Sure beats the heck out of using a four-pound hand sledge and a couple of Garrett-Wade Swedish wedges like I did the last few years. Man, I felt as though I must have already been in Purgatory!

Others are right. Pulling a lever, on whatever splitter, sure is nicer than swinging an axe/maul/sledge.

Regards,

David

I have one just like that one I got it at HD under MTD it has worked great for the past two years about 10 cord a year all locust. You will enjoy it when its hot outside and all you have to do is pull the handle.

TOM

One thing I like about buying from Sears is that they have the greatest parts website ever. If you ever need a replacement part they have it.

I have a humidifier I bought in 1984. I needed some parts. Typed the model number in on their website, it pulled up the exploded view with all part nubmers, I input the parts wanted and in 3 days they show up at the front door.

Kinda nice.

This is strait from the mouth of my repair guy with 30+ years in the biz and I quote- All small Briggs engines are being built by Tecumseh Briggs wants to focus more on there vanguard line and the V twin lines now.

I always thought the Briggs engines were the gold standard of the small engine market. I've got a Briggs on my Craftsman lawn tractor and the thing has never used a drop of oil. It is an intek motor though. My Briggs on the log splitter works just fine. Going on 8 years now and all I've done to it is top off the oil. Starts even in the coldest weather with no more than 4 pulls.

Matt

In recent years Briggs has been more interested in acquiring other companies than developing their engines. Diahatsui and Mitsubishi of Japan have been producing the Vanguard line. Engines will also be produced in China.

The plants at their headquarters have been torn down and replaced by shopping centers and other manufacturers.

wrecked log splitter

I have two of the troybuilt 27 ton log splitters ,they are great,one has a honda and one has a briggs, but today i bought a troybuilt 27 ton with a honda motor that was in a car accident,for 100.00 beam,cylinder and valve is still good,rest is trash,i just happen to have a 10hp briggs and a axle,what size oil tank and pump should i use,i want it to be a monster,lol any ideas:greenchainsaw:

it could entirely be 27 tons given the 4.5 inch bore and a teeny bit of flywheel energy.

further, i bet it is REALLY fast with the 11 horse engine and a 2 stage pump.

pretty good buy in my opinion.

Ratings on splitters are grossly exagerated. It does not matter how big the motor is, nor what pump. It is strictly a function of cylinder size and the bypass setting on the valve.

Most valves are set around 2,500 psi. Running that agains a 4.5" cylinder yeilds about 19 ton.

Still better by a good deal than a 4" cylinder.

Harry K

I just bought this yesterday. I will be picking it up on Thursday. I am anxious to start using it and will give a report on it. I chose this model because of price, engine size (11 hp.) and features 27 ton. capacity. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07177640000P?vName=Lawn+&+Garden&keyword=log+splitter

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen your response of how you and your new toy are doing?

I am hoping it worked out well for you... gotta love the new toys, especially when they make your life/work easier! :cheers:

LMAO! I normally look for that, but between the meds and not sleeping cuz I needed meds, I fell into the trap of posting on the thread from the dead.

:)clap: that us my story and I am sticking to it!):cheers:

So did I :)

I refigured my numbers using a 3,000 psi cut off - comes to right at 24 ton. Where the manufacturers get those inflated figures is beyond me.

BTW anyone with this type splitter should read the 'design flaw - troy bilt splitter thread if they have not done so. Interesting reading and good cures.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=112358&highlight=design+flaw

Harry K

Last edited:
I sent Speeco an email asking how they get their numbers and this is the answer they gave me. They say the pumps are rated for 3000 constant and 4000 intermittent. They set the bypass valve to 3500. I expect this company does something similar.

Ian

I am guessing a 6.5 hp and 19 sec cycle time based on info on MTD's site. Compared to a White Outdoor brand the only difference listed is a 2" coupler vs 1-7/8" coupler.

Most of the splitters spec out about the same with an occasional 16 gpm pump thrown in. You have to spend some dollars to get to the 22 gpm and up pump packages that are speced out on the commercial splitters. Read $5K + price tags.

Enjoy your new splitter. It will make your splitting chores easier.

Don

19 second cycle time?

I'd lose my mind. You could eat your lunch while the cyl. returns..

Latest posts

Back