No chisel chain in 3/8" lo-pro/Picco/mini? - now there is!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Stihl 63 PMC chain is a semi chisel, yellow label chain with no safety bumper links, it's .050 3/8" lo pro. I have a 100' roll of the stuff at the shop.

My dealer still sells it, I have done timed cuts with 026, 260 and MS261
The .050 Picco is faster than .325 or .375 chain in any size wood with these saws.
If cutting smaller stuff, slap 8T Picco rim on MS261 and it's the fastest
and smoothest thing I have ever used limbing

I also use it for milling chain on 066/660
Some time back I found 2 NLA, NOS 20 inch 3003 Picco bars.
Logosol sells Stihl 064/066 Picco drum sprockets.
Stihl sells a 16 inch .050 Picco 3003 bar mount.

TT

Yep, but 7-pin may be a bit much on a saw designed for 3/8" lo-pro! :thinking:

Hi Troll, how about a 7-pin on a 066?

I am finally hoping to get some machined/hardened, not cheap powder cast, 3/8 picco rims in standard spline.

I'll let you know how they work on my logosol/066 in hardwoods (ash oak rock maple cherry).

Hi Troll, how about a 7-pin on a 066?

I am finally hoping to get some machined/hardened, not cheap powder cast, 3/8 picco rims in standard spline.

I'll let you know how they work on my logosol/066 in hardwoods (ash oak rock maple cherry).

I see no reason that shouldn't work - I assume you are talking about milling? ;)

That one is missing from the same catalog, I hope it doesn't mean that they stopped making it. :thinking:

No, I checked last night and they have it still in stock, so I assume they're still making it. I think they don't make it well known because in their minds the only saw that should be running that chain is the MS200/T.

Yes sir! Then heat treating..........

NOT cheap, but 1/2 of stihl spurs, you cannot buy here/USA.............

WANT SOME???

Stihl brand 7T Picco spur sprocket for 064/066/660 is $22 from Logosol.

Or they were last I bought, I got 4 of them to have.

TT

No, I checked last night and they have it still in stock, so I assume they're still making it. I think they don't make it well known because in their minds the only saw that should be running that chain is the MS200/T.

Let's hope you are right, but the 63PMC is gone from the German web-site as well as from that catalog. It actually looks like the PS3 is replacing the PMC.....:confusedn:

Some will of course be in the "pipeline".

yeah baby! Now if oregon would just make a version of 91vxl in full chisel and no bumber straps I'd be in wee saw heaven.

The 91VXL does not have bumpers. The 91VG which has the bumper tie straps is being replaced by teh 91PX which is a bumper drive version. The VXL chain, (which is the Carlton N1C cutter with a modified depth gauge and clipped heels for anti-vibe feature) will cut almost as fast as the Stihl and will definitely stay sharp longer.

The 91VXL does not have bumpers. The 91VG which has the bumper tie straps is being replaced by teh 91PX which is a bumper drive version. The VXL chain, (which is the Carlton N1C cutter with a modified depth gauge and clipped heels for anti-vibe feature) will cut almost as fast as the Stihl and will definitely stay sharp longer.

allmost works with horseshoes an handgrenades.
I really wish someone would offer .325 N/K in chisel.
For my purposes a 700 dollar top handle is not cost effective.
I ordered a loop of the new picco chisel in feb. I ani't got it yet.

allmost works with horseshoes an handgrenades.
I really wish someone would offer .325 N/K in chisel.
For my purposes a 700 dollar top handle is not cost effective.
I ordered a loop of the new picco chisel in feb. I ani't got it yet.

I would like a .325NK in chisel as well, but preferably not a "green" one.....;)

gathered elsewhere:

PM is the regular, old style 3/8" lo pro without the safety ramps
PM3 is the regular, old style 3/8" lo pro with safety ramps
PMC is the new chassis regular 3/8" lo pro without safety ramps
PMC3 is the new chassis with safety ramps

P picco
M micro
C comfort chasis

let me know if that's not current. Looks like the PMC is just hitting the shelves stateside now.

Last edited:

yeah, Bro I know. I run alot of 91VXL. I'm just saying I want chisel and no bumper ramp crap is all. You can have one or the other but not both right now. I wish carlton or oregon would make the same chain they have now in chisel. Either one would be fine.

3/8 low pro cuts really well on these small saws. I really love it, just need more choices. Heck, I'd even run it on my bigger saws if it were more convenient to get bars and sprockets

Back