No chisel chain in 3/8" lo-pro/Picco/mini? - now there is!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local dealer has the 16" picco bar on discount, 30% off. I guess they've had it on the shelf for quite some time, so maybe I could get it for 50% of the normal price... So I'm thinking about setting up my MS 390 with a 8T 3/8" Picco rim sprocket, this bar and the PS3 chain. My guess is it will cut faster than anything I've tried before. Do you think it would be safe? People run their MS 660's with lo pro chains for milling, so with the oil pump turned up a little and using the correct bar and sprocket, the risk of the chain breaking should be quite low right?

Regards,
Pontus

I've only had a chain link break once, and that was when I hit a thick nail buried in the wood. Upon further inspection I recognized that I had accidently "sharpened" into one link. It was also the side that broke upon hard contact. After that I am much more observant when sharpening may chains.

My local dealer has the 16" picco bar on discount, 30% off. I guess they've had it on the shelf for quite some time, so maybe I could get it for 50% of the normal price... So I'm thinking about setting up my MS 390 with a 8T 3/8" Picco rim sprocket, this bar and the PS3 chain. My guess is it will cut faster than anything I've tried before. Do you think it would be safe? People run their MS 660's with lo pro chains for milling, so with the oil pump turned up a little and using the correct bar and sprocket, the risk of the chain breaking should be quite low right?

Regards,
Pontus

Make sure the bar has the correct mount (3003 series) . Almost all sthil picco bars are made for pruning/small homeowner saws homeowner saws

Yes, it's 3003, meant for milling! :msp_thumbup:
I already have a 3005 picco bar on my small saw.
But the last hour I've been trying to find out if I can use a 3/8 lp rim sprocket on the 390. Logosol has one, 0000 642 1240, that is supposed to work with 026/036, but I have no idea if it would fit the 390...:mad:
I know I can run a Picco chain on a normal 3/8 sprocket, but it will vibrate, cause heat and more wear on the chain and sprocket, so I would prefer a real Picco sprocket to avoid chain break.

/Pontus

Yes, it's 3003, meant for milling! :msp_thumbup:
I already have a 3005 picco bar on my small saw.
But the last hour I've been trying to find out if I can use a 3/8 lp rim sprocket on the 390. Logosol has one, 0000 642 1240, that is supposed to work with 026/036, but I have no idea if it would fit the 390...:mad:
I know I can run a Picco chain on a normal 3/8 sprocket, but it will vibrate, cause heat and more wear on the chain and sprocket, so I would prefer a real Picco sprocket to avoid chain break.

/Pontus

This 026/036 picco rim must be for the old style 036 clutch?

I think the new style w/larger bearing takes the same rim for stihls larger saws

This 026/036 picco rim must be for the old style 036 clutch?

I think the new style w/larger bearing takes the same rim for stihls larger saws

Thanks,
I think the 290/310/390 use the small bearing.
This is the rim sprocket kit for the 390 according to the IPL:
Rim Sprocket Kit 3/8'' 7T for Stihl 029, 039 - 1125 007 1002 | Only £16.93 | Stihl MS290/029 Chainsaw Spares

Can I somehow find out if the picco rim, 0000 642 1240, can be used with this kit?
Or, can I use the picco kit, 1121 007 1039, on the 390?

The different clutches, shafts, bearings, sprockets, splines give me a headache! :help:

/Pontus

I checked the IPL for both 260 and 390 since I know the Picco rim sprockets can be used with 260. They list different 7T 3/8" rim sprocket kits (drum, bearing, sprocket), but interestingly both list the same 7T 3/8" rim sprocket (0000 642 1231). So I guess this means that all rim sprockets that fit the 260 could also be used on the 390, unless of course the somewhat larger diameter of a Picco sprocket makes a difference. So instead of getting the 7T 3/8" Picco kit for the 260 (1121 007 1039), I could order the kit for the 390 (1125 007 1002) and the 7T Picco rim sprocket (0000 642 1240) separately.

This should work right? :rock::blob2:

/Pontus

I checked the IPL for both 260 and 390 since I know the Picco rim sprockets can be used with 260. They list different 7T 3/8" rim sprocket kits (drum, bearing, sprocket), but interestingly both list the same 7T 3/8" rim sprocket (0000 642 1231). So I guess this means that all rim sprockets that fit the 260 could also be used on the 390, unless of course the somewhat larger diameter of a Picco sprocket makes a difference. So instead of getting the 7T 3/8" Picco kit for the 260 (1121 007 1039), I could order the kit for the 390 (1125 007 1002) and the 7T Picco rim sprocket (0000 642 1240) separately.

This should work right? :rock::blob2:

/Pontus
It may work on a 260 but the 026 I had used a mini.
3 diff size rims being mini, small and regular.

Make sure the bar has the correct mount (3003 series) . Almost all sthil picco bars are made for pruning/small homeowner saws homeowner saws

The bars for the 660 Logosol have the 3003 mount, they are just not very common in the US.

Stihl offer Picco rims only for the mini 7-spline though, and the 660 Loosol comes with a spur.

It may work on a 260 but the 026 I had used a mini.
3 diff size rims being mini, small and regular.

Yes, as SawTroll says, Stihl makes picco rim sprockets for the mini spline only. I think the 390 has the same clutch, bearing and spline as the 260, but I'm not sure. Many people have tried it on the 026/260 and it works. To my surprise, it even says so in the IPL!

But does anyone know if a clutch drum for a 026/260 would fit on a 290/310/390?
In that case I'll just order the picco rim sprocket kit. Otherwise I'll play it safe and order the normal 3/8" kit from the 390 IPL and a separate Picco rim sprocket.

/Pontus

Last edited:
Yes, as SawTroll says, Stihl makes picco rim sprockets for the mini spline only. I think the 390 has the same clutch, bearing and spline as the 260, but I'm not sure. Many people have tried it on the 026/260 and it works. To my surprise, it even says so in the IPL!

But does anyone know if a clutch drum for a 026/260 would fit on a 290/310/390?
In that case I'll just order the picco rim sprocket kit. Otherwise I'll play it safe and order the normal 3/8" kit from the 390 IPL and a separate Picco rim sprocket.

/Pontus

Just be aware that picco low profile rims are out there for the mini spline but may not be for the small or regular spline.

Yes, there are picco rim sprockets only for the mini spline. No manufacturer makes one for any other spline size. I was pretty sure the 390 used the same mini spline as the 260, but to be sure I checked both IPL's and they do indeed use the same rim sprockets (see above).

Now I know I can use a picco rim sprocket on the 390.
But are the clutch drums also interchangable between 260 and 390?
No big deal if they are not since I can buy the picco sprocket separately, without the clutch drum.

/Pontus

I believe you can get a picco rim w/stihl small spline.

This came up years ago when we were talking about picco rims for a 066.

Andy/Lakeside 53 mentioned that the early /small bearing clutch from a 036 could be adapted to a 066 and then run a picco rim. However he said he would not trust the small bearing on the bigger saw as stihl had already upgraded things for the smaller 036.

Cool! :D

But what a crazy thing to do, putting a bearing that was considered too weak for the 036 on a 066! :msp_confused:

There is a picco spur sprocket for the 066, 1122 640 2006, that I would rather use...

/Pontus

No doubt a spur that fits is better than a rim that doesn't, the logasol ani't cheap tho.
I've been using a regular3/8ths rim and low profile 16" bar and chain on a small 2.5ci saw for over 2 years tho with no problems.A 7 pin drive proababley is less of a missfit than a 11 tooth nose sprocket bar. A 60cc saw with a longer(if you can find it) low profile bar&chain may not have as good a result and I ani't gonna say go for it.

Last edited:
still seeing if low pro will work for me

I have a question about lowpro. Is all Stihl lowpro picco?

I am running a logosol 32", 105 link lowpro from Baileys on my Pro Cut saw mill. I have not run it enough to use up the chain, but have cut a couple of days and see no problems with chain wear. Using 7 pin std sprocket and std 3/8 carlton bar. I also have run a link of reg 3/8 lowpro from the local Stihl dealer that I ran. No problems whatsoever that I can see. Will be interesting to see if anything comes up before I wear the chain out.

Bought 2) 3/8 lowpro chains for my 61/272 with an 18" bar from my local Stihl dealer, but have have not used them yet. Hope to give it a try this week cutting down some cedars from the cemetery. Kinda funny saying that as my wife and I have decided to make our own cedar caskets. After I get my cabinets done, I am going to build them and hope I don't need them for a while.;)

Larry

I believe you can get a picco rim w/stihl small spline.

This came up years ago when we were talking about picco rims for a 066.

Andy/Lakeside 53 mentioned that the early /small bearing clutch from a 036 could be adapted to a 066 and then run a picco rim. However he said he would not trust the small bearing on the bigger saw as stihl had already upgraded things for the smaller 036.

"Stihl small spline" = "mini" spline, so obviously yes.

Stihl doesn't use the regular small spline, but Oregon sell kits with it for many Stihl saws.

Latest posts

Back