No chisel chain in 3/8" lo-pro/Picco/mini? - now there is!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while back I had Ed Danzer of Danzco Co. make up a lot of 8T 3/8 picco/lo pro rims to fit larger saws.

Some here may have purchased some of the rest of the lot?

I still have not used mine for milling as Ed used an Oregon spline (so they are more universally useful) and all my 066 clutch hubs are stihl spline.

God willing I'll have time for some milling this fall and I can give them a good test. I've enough rims to mill 1000s of bd/ft of lumber, will have to invest in some chains.....

A peculiarity with these rims is that the drivers are actually small steel rods pressed into the rim (sorry do not have a picture) that pick up the drivers on the chain. Ed said these work fine. Anybody ever run a rim built like this?

Will give a report when I get them into some wood on the mill.

Last edited:
A while back I had Ed Danzer of Danzco Co. make up a lot of 8T 3/8 picco/lo pro rims to fit larger saws.

Some here may have purchased some of the rest of the lot?

I still have not used mine for milling as Ed used an Oregon spline (so they are more universally useful) and all my 066 clutch hubs are stihl spline. ........

That sounds a bit odd, as there are no difference between Oregon and Stihl on standard 7-spline drums, only with the small vs. mini 7-spline drums.

picco followup

Picco is Stihls name on 3/8" lo pro, simple as that.

If it is simple as that, what is all the "talk" about picco rims. I understand it is supposed to be different from a regular 3/8, but as I have posted, I have not yet had any of the problems I read about. Stihl 3/8 lowpro seems to run fine on my saw with "reg" rim and bar.

So educate me.

Larry

If it is simple as that, what is all the "talk" about picco rims. I understand it is supposed to be different from a regular 3/8, but as I have posted, I have not yet had any of the problems I read about. Stihl 3/8 lowpro seems to run fine on my saw with "reg" rim and bar.

So educate me.

Larry
Low profile has the same distance between 3 rivits but a different inside circumference than regular 3/8ths.The low profile drive sprocket needs to be slightly larger.

So educate me.

Larry

There's a thread called "Getting serious about lo pro" or something similar, with great pictures in it! Do an advanced search and check search titles only!

/Pontus

There's a thread called "Getting serious about lo pro" or something similar, with great pictures in it! Do an advanced search and check search titles only!

/Pontus

What Pontus said.

There are also a number of other threads dealing with this, 3/8 vs 3/8 picco/lo pro, on the milling forum. One about 6 months old stated Danzco is now offering large and small spline pin drive picco/lo pro sprockets. They are not listed under their std offerings on their website, so you have to call with your needs.

I also did some research on pin drive sprockets. It seems they are quite common particularly with larger chain drives used in harvesters and such.

Anyway, it seems there is a source of pin drive picco/lo pro sprockets for larger saws:

Chain Saw Sprockets

So educate me.

Larry

Seems to, maybe - but it doesn't really! :givebeer:

Hi Troll,

You may be right? I was told they were different splines so I never checked.

I have the rims and a spare 066 clutch hub, and I'm off to the basement workshop to check this.......

THANKS!

I know I am right, the 3/8x8 and x7 regular spline (often wrongly called large) rims I have are exactly the same between Oregon and Stihl, and are obviously made the same place. Only the brand name on them is different.

Last edited:
I know I am right, the 3/8x8 and x7 reular spline (often wrongly called large) rims I have are exactly the same between Oregon and Stihl, and are obviously made the same place. Only the brand name on them is different.
And the price.
But the mini is where they really break it of in you.

Cause they can.

seems or reality

Seems to, maybe - but it doesn't really! :givebeer:

I have read all the threads I could find and some can run it, some can't. If it works fine, if not I'll take another approach or use my 15) 3/8 chains.

I'll let you know if "seems" is "reality" when one or the other wears out. I have 2) 32" chains for my 3120 mill. I'm going to wear something out. We'll see what wears out first. As I said, no abnormal wear so far, but they are no where near worn out.

Larry

Back