No good deed goes unpunished.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A neighbor of mine down the street, was talking to me about buying his very 1st chainsaw. He was asking all kinds of questions and I felt pretty comfortable answering most of them. Those that I couldn't, I told him so.

Anyways, one thing led to another and before I knew it, I had committed to going with him to look at and buy one. I told him that I don't know that much about Husqvarna or the "other brands", other than Stihl. I told him that I liked Stihl because I have been around them more so than the other brands.

He hasn't set a firm price he's willing to pay, but has given me the impression that he won't mind paying for a good one. He wants a saw for small jobs around the house, and he said that he's looking into buying a wood stove, so he's going to be cutting wood to supply that stove.

I'm not sure why, but all of a sudden, I'm not all that comfortable helping someone else spend their money. I can't pin it down to any one thing, but it's bugging me. I guess I can just help him as best I can, and let the sales persons do their job, and try to intervene if the sales BS gets too deep.

I'm thinking a 50cc saw at minimum with a 20" bar is a good place to start. I did show him my MS-261 C-M, and he did seem to like it a lot. He liked the idea of the saw more or less tuning itself. He felt that my MS-441 C-M was a bit on the large side and I could tell he felt intimidated by it. I do know that he wants a new saw and not a used one.

Anyways, off we go early on Saturday. He says lunch is on him and I can choose the place. I'm open to all suggestions, tips and ideas that any of you may have and will be appreciated.

Get him the 362cm right in the middle of the 2 you have and can do everything he will need it to and can run a range of bars from 16 to 20 comfortably. Could even go to 25 with a skip chain or a good port job. JMHO

o you meant suggestions on a saw,not restaurant ...lol
one saw i second the,362cm,but as you know,its hard to have one saw..lol till i found this site,i thought one saw all you needed....
2 saws--261cm,then when he comfortable with 261cm,he may want try 441cm later...

Apparently you don't know what "they" say about when you have nothing good to say. Thanks for pointing it out though.

yep my uncle loves his ms250,uses it more than ms 270,ms361,small echo,and others...he always says man i like that little 250....

o you meant suggestions on a saw,not restaurant ...lol
one saw i second the,362cm,but as you know,its hard to have one saw..lol till i found this site,i thought one saw all you needed....
2 saws--261cm,then when he comfortable with 261cm,he may want try 441cm later...

Actually, I'm not much of a steak guy and feel that they're way over-rated.

I'm up for a good cheeseburger most any time. Chicken sandwiches are also on my good to go list.

And, I too think the 362 C-M is one to be sure and look at. Just wish I knew more about Husky and felt more comfortable looking at them.

o the husky boys will be here shortly!!!l lol
honestly they are all great saws.....we use a husky 340 at work to cut 6x6 post tops off while building polebarns,that saw has been mistreated,and always runs and starts great,and the only maintenance it gets,sadly is 2stroke mix and bar oil,and a sharpening now and then.....it gets thrown around and mistreated,and keeps on going....

if he is askin you all kinds of questions..... then he probably cant tune and should really consider the 261cm/ 361cm.

I'm a stihl guy, but I would look seriously at a husky 545. I like the idea of autotune for a first saw
and then after CAD sets in he can get a bigger saw.

Guess I'll be the first bad guy the Husky is usually going to be smoother lighter and more power honestly if it were me I'd steer the guy to a 550xp husqvarna
The 562xp would likely be over kill . The 550 is the one to research before you go spending the guys money on a heavier less agile more expensive saw. A dolmar 5100 is another good one to consider ..A lot of times The stihl name commands about 100$ over it's competitors due to name recognition . The new strato .auto tunes are amazing at least the husky ones are that I know of . The 362 cm doesn't seem to be very popular . There may be reasons why but something you should look into before he drops 750$ +

I have to say, I agree 100% with the quality suggestions that have surfaced. That said, I would bet dollars to donuts that guy won't even consider ponying up the coin needed to buy a brand new Stihl M-Tronic saw despite giving you the impression he's willing to pay what it takes...
  1. First chainsaw
  2. Doesn't know anything about chainsaws
  3. Not willing to do his research himself, so he asks you - who would drop $600-$1,000 on a chainsaw based on one dude's opinion?
  4. Only immediate need is "small jobs" and he only looking into a wood stove
I hate to be a nay-sayer dano, but like they say - there's no such thing as a free lunch. I think you're gonna get a cheeseburger with a side of frustration when he ends up backpedaling and going home empty-handed, or with a damn MS170. When you showed him your 261C-M did you tell him what a new one retails for (not what you got yours for)? If not, you might want to do so before you waste a Saturday.

Just my input based on personal experiences. Everybody new to the game wants a badass chainsaw and says they're willing to pay the money for a good one until one of two things happens; they find out just how big that number is, or they get to the point where they actually have to hand over the MasterCard...

Latest posts

Back