No more Ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand Ebay!

I have come to the conclusion that Ebay is all about winning,

not about buying something at a reasonable price.

The fact that people would pay for a well used saw, prices often 60-80% or more PLUS SHIPPING, of what that same saw is worth brand new with warranty without seeing it just boggles my mind!

Now due to shipping and customs I usually only look at saw available in Canada and it seems like most of the bigger saws in Canada are old logging saws that have been picked up second hand and are being flogged on EBay for far more than what I would pay for them. They are very, very well used.

Rarely do I see what I consider a great deal.

I have bought 10 things over EBay. Of those 10 things 4 were not as advertised, twice to my advantage, twice to my disadvantage.

So I am very leary about anything on ebay.

fishhuntcutwood said:
How much? You just gotta watch prices on those lower priced saws. Often they go for as much or more than you can buy them from a dealer.

I agree with you on that one LOL I couldn't believe what some of those people were paying for saws on ebay. They were paying more for used saws than you could go buy a brand new one for from the dealer. I just saw a used MS290 for way over three hundred bucks and that didn't even include shipping.

I agree, you have to snipe something to get a deal on ebay. It is a sellers market, I sell 2-3times the # items I buy on it. Their rates have gone up so much over the last year, it is pricey to sell even. The "I've been screwed" thread was icing on the cake. Ebay remains to be a great price guide though for ball park prices on rare items.

I stick with the local classifieds, here's a few that just came out this morning:

"I have a Husky 371xp chainsaw that runs good and saws good. Has 20" bar and chain. I would like to swap for a Stihl the same size or bigger. NO JUNK please My saw isnt. call me" Everybody wants a stihl....

Another ad, though over priced in my opinion.
"Stihl 029 chainsaw. New chain. Good condition. Recent tuneup. $165.00"

Dishonest??/

musch said:
Yeah, it always says DIVORCE WARS.
That the guy?
I have seen at least 3 listings.
Pretty good marketing idea, albeit dishonest. :)

Heck dude, were I getting divorced, she'd just wanna think about touching my saws. Does the word "BLOODSHED" bring anything to mind, lmfao. I don't think chainsaws are something people can fight over in court??? Has anyone ever heard of it???:D

Back