No more husky 372!Now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jon72 said:
It is the way of the future but What about warranty repairs.I allways get the first rebuild for free.I don't think we could convince the brand names to send us warranty parts.

I was referring to parts - buying parts from anyone you like. Warranty repairs, well, if you have an idiot or a jerk for your local dealer, you probably wouldn't really want them working on your saw anyways - I know I wouldn't. ANY dealer can warranty a saw, not just the place you bought it from, so you can always pay a few bucks shipping to one of the nice, friendly and knowledgable dealers on this site and get it repaired right.

Now, as far as you getting your first rebuild free - you must saw a LOT of wood (logger) to require a rebuild within the stated warranty period (much shorter for commercial users - if you are honest about it). Either that or you don't take very good care of your equipment.

The Jonsered 2171 is still available and to my knowledge going to Be around for a while. Husky discontinuing the 372 has increased my 2171 sales in every dealer that sells larger cc saws. I have a Dealer in North lousiana that handles Jonsereds just for the 2171 He stocks and sells more than just that but he loves to remind me on every visit that with out it he would only carry one line. (he carries Husky everything riders, zero turns, and whatever else Husky has in lawn and garden)

The 372 isn't dead, it's RED

I still don't understand why so many guys who love the 372 don't realize that they can get the Jonsered 2171. Maybe some of you don't have a Jonsered dealer close enough.

The 2171 will definately be around for a while yet. There are no Jonsered versions of the 575/570 to date. Also, each saw model doesn't have to pass or fail on it's own. It is all done with EPA credits. If you sell enough clean saws, you can sell some not so clean ones as well. There is also a process in which an OEM declares how it will spend it's credits for an upcoming year. If you bring in more than the forecast, you pay a fine. That's why Husky brought in a pre-determined number, (3500), of 372's for 2006. I didn't even hear about it from my rep, I learned about it from a member here on AS. (Thanks again Ben Walker)

Concerning the failure in the original post, there were some lower end problems in the early 575's. We had one fail ourselves. Ever since then, they have been fine, with no problems at all.

spike60 said:
I still don't understand why so many guys who love the 372 don't realize that they can get the Jonsered 2171. Maybe some of you don't have a Jonsered dealer close enough.

The 2171 will definately be around for a while yet. There are no Jonsered versions of the 575/570 to date. Also, each saw model doesn't have to pass or fail on it's own. It is all done with EPA credits. If you sell enough clean saws, you can sell some not so clean ones as well. There is also a process in which an OEM declares how it will spend it's credits for an upcoming year. If you bring in more than the forecast, you pay a fine. That's why Husky brought in a pre-determined number, (3500), of 372's for 2006. I didn't even hear about it from my rep, I learned about it from a member here on AS. (Thanks again Ben Walker)

Concerning the failure in the original post, there were some lower end problems in the early 575's. We had one fail ourselves. Ever since then, they have been fine, with no problems at all.

Welcome back Spike, glad that mishap is out the way, good to see you...

Good post spike,
Also if you are looking for a Jonsered look on the internet.
Don't worry You take that saw into a Husky and the dealer will help you.
Why wouldn't he after all he can sell you chains, sprockets. plugs ect.
and he already Knows that saw might even impress him to see a 372 in Red.

spike60 said:
. Also, each saw model doesn't have to pass or fail on it's own. It is all done with EPA credits. If you sell enough clean saws, you can sell some not so clean ones as well. There is also a process in which an OEM declares how it will spend it's credits for an upcoming year. .

I see the same thing happening with Stihl - the mid-size saws change first, then the small saws, then the two big saws much much later (rumor only).

What does Jonsered sell in terms of low emission saws to earn the credits for the bigger saws? Won't the sales of older saws be limited by virtue of their own limited market share?

Lakeside53 said:
I see the same thing happening with Stihl - the mid-size saws change first, then the small saws, then the two big saws much much later (rumor only).

What does Jonsered sell in terms of low emission saws to earn the credits for the bigger saws? Won't the sales of older saws be limited by virtue of their own limited market share?

There are using cats I know the 2156 has them.
Spike knows more about that. I was asking about that in another post.

How about a rebuilt 272?

jon72 said:
Actually, I know what,and I don't like it.Heres my history,I've used 371/372's since they came out.I've gone threw 17 of these but,I liked them.I bought a 585xp with the emissions crap for almost 200 hundred more.It weighs 2pds. more and has less power than the 372.It went 3 months and the crank bearing let go.Igot it fixed and didn't use it much for a while.Recently I started using it steady and it blew up again.Same deal crank bearing and took everything with it.It's a month out of warranty Husky won't fix it.These new saws are JUNK!!
My question is what is proven and comparable to the old 372?Does Jonsered still make their version of the 372?
Thanks,
Jon

How about a rebuilt 272? No pollution control devices to hassle with and you can run your carb the way you want to …so as not to burn out any bearings or pistons. The weight is about 13 lbs /wo a bar. It is agile and versatile in every way. They are good, solid, proven dependable saw that has been around for about 20 years and will be around for another 20. Parts are readily available for them. You might even consider having 2-272’s….one as a back-up. I can get you one for about 290 bucks…..330 with a 16” Oregon roller tip bar and a semi-chisel chain.

Model 266’s would be a good choice also…. Probably last longer than the 272’s
Thanks
Floyd

Four Paws said:
I was referring to parts - buying parts from anyone you like. Warranty repairs, well, if you have an idiot or a jerk for your local dealer, you probably wouldn't really want them working on your saw anyways - I know I wouldn't. ANY dealer can warranty a saw, not just the place you bought it from, so you can always pay a few bucks shipping to one of the nice, friendly and knowledgable dealers on this site and get it repaired right.

Now, as far as you getting your first rebuild free - you must saw a LOT of wood (logger) to require a rebuild within the stated warranty period (much shorter for commercial users - if you are honest about it). Either that or you don't take very good care of your equipment.
Yes,I'm a logger and I cut lots of wood.I take very good care of my equipment.I'm just here looking for answers to my original question.Now why the wise a$$ comments four paws?Are you even a logger?

Jonsered Rep said:
The Jonsered 2171 is still available and to my knowledge going to Be around for a while. Husky discontinuing the 372 has increased my 2171 sales in every dealer that sells larger cc saws. I have a Dealer in North lousiana that handles Jonsereds just for the 2171 He stocks and sells more than just that but he loves to remind me on every visit that with out it he would only carry one line. (he carries Husky everything riders, zero turns, and whatever else Husky has in lawn and garden)
Do parts interchange with the 372?I have a ton of 372 parts.

jon72 said:
Do parts interchange with the 372?I have a ton of 372 parts.

Nearly all of the parts interchange. In fact, they even have the same part numbers. Jonsered does use a "-" after the first 3 digits that Husky doesn't.

The exception of course it the top handle, as Jonsered uses a 90 degree handle vs. Husky's 7 degree offset. The starter assembly and top covers can be swapped only if done together. I have a Jonsered that had a lower end failure and I got a crankcase from a 372 and moved over all of the parts. So, I have a red saw with an orange crankcase, which I call the "Jonsky" (It is important that this saw start on the 2nd or 3rd pull since you don't want to be standing in the woods pulling on your Jonsky!)

Air filters: Jonsered uses the flat air filter, like you would find on a 365 or 362, which IMO is a bit better than the one Husky uses. It is easier to clean and costs less than the Husky filter. Plus you have the choice of felt or nylon. I think the Husky filter is more of a style/image thing to give the saw a K&N look. Here's a little known fact: Order either the 372 or the 575 XPG model with heated handles and it comes with the Jonsered filter. What does that tell you?

Concerning your 575 problems. If you had bought that many 372's from me, I would have found a way to warranty that saw. Especially with the known problems of the very early units.

Jon72, Do you back the H screw out on the carb once you run 5 or 10 tanks of fuel through the saw? Maybe the saws are burning out so quickly because they're running lean after break in. What's the commercial warranty period: it's something like 90 days right?

It might only take a 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn to get the motor back to running slightly rich after break in.

I wouldnt say the 575 problems are fixed quit yet. They are still dieing in my kneck of the woods. IMO pitching the rev limited coil would be a good start in making these saws more durable. Too many guys are running these saws excessivly lean because of the inability to tune by ear.

bwalker said:
I wouldnt say the 575 problems are fixed quit yet. They are still dieing in my kneck of the woods. IMO pitching the rev limited coil would be a good start in making these saws more durable. Too many guys are running these saws excessivly lean because of the inability to tune by ear.
Seems to me if you don't hear it go up any higher stop, back her down a bit, hold chain to wood, cut
Rev limited does suck

manual said:
Seems to me if you don't hear it go up any higher stop, back her down a bit, hold chain to wood, cut
Rev limited does suck

It's not that easy... What is the method prescribed by Husky in their user manual?

rmihalek said:
Jon72, Do you back the H screw out on the carb once you run 5 or 10 tanks of fuel through the saw? Maybe the saws are burning out so quickly because they're running lean after break in. What's the commercial warranty period: it's something like 90 days right?

It might only take a 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn to get the motor back to running slightly rich after break in.
The rod bearing is what goes in my saws.It will start loosing rpm's and seize up in just a few seconds.According to Husky it is caused by excessive heat.(limbing in 80-90 degree weather)Their advice is to keep using Husky oil(which I do)Keep the saw clean,(which I do)and give the saw more breaks or let it cool down more often.(which I don't)

Back