NOS Stihl Parts - What to do with them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kscycler

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was at a warehouse of a friend today, used to be an engine repair shop, and discovered shelf upon shelf of NOS mower, edger, and chainsaw parts. There are many manufacturers' represented, but I naturally focused on the Stihl boxes. First thing out of the box was an NOS 028 muffler, still in the Stihl bag. Then plastic covers, many models, and probably 100 bags of NOS small parts, sprockets, studs, etc.

He's getting older, ready to liquidate the whole thing, but there's literally so much there that he could never catalog it or put it on eBay or craigslist. He asked my how to sell it without giving it away, and I'm stumped. An auction company came in over a year ago and put 500 (yes, 500) beer flats of parts in one area of the warehouse, and didn't make a dent in the inventory. By way of illustration, he has more than 100 mowers in one corner, chainsaws laying around all over, garden tractors, snow blowers, the list goes on and on.

I'd sure appreciate any ideas on how to help him liquidate without getting scalped. Thanks...

You could offer up some stuff here on AS.
You would get guys comming out of the woodwork trying to get parts for their "mature" saws that parts are hard to find.

Evenutally you would sell them, might take a while though.

You could offer up some stuff here on AS.
You would get guys comming out of the woodwork trying to get parts for their "mature" saws that parts are hard to find.

Evenutally you would sell them, might take a while though.

My guess, it would be a full-time job for 2-3 years to sell it a piece at a time, even if you knew what all the parts went to, etc.

Someone is going to either need to take the time to catalog and list the items for sale online. Or sell them for pennies on the dollar through a local estate auction company. I dont see a magic answer.

As with any type of collection there are desirable items and those you can't give away. The owner will never realize anywhere close to the wholesale price as the buyer will be waiting like he is to move them. The fastest way is via a well advertised auction that would allow online bidding, the key is in properly grouping the merchandise to intersperse the impossible to sell stuff with the good stuff.

Time for a Wichita parts fire sale GTG. Shouldn't take long if 100-200 like minded individuals needing saw parts or mower parts swooped in for a weekend or 2.

Brian

That is the best way for the owner to make some money. Even if a dozen AS guys show up, and pay decent money for half the load......

Then liquidate the rest through and auction house, or whatever. That's when he gets pennies on the dollar for anything going out the door.

On second thought, I'd hop a plane to take a look at it. Make an offer on the lot and have it shipped out. No sense waiting on all this auction business.:msp_biggrin:

A pretty large Stihl Dealer in my area went out of business a couple years ago and had a really large inventory.
They Just had a public auction...a good auction company will put one good high dollar item in a box of junk and sell the hole box. That way they get rid of the less valuable stuff and junk at the same time. If they do a good job advertising the sale,you'll be surprised how far people will come, thinking they might get a deal.

I get a laugh at how some say the local auction route is going to get pennies on the dollar.

Here that is not the case. If you have worthless parts from name brand companies they will sell well here. If you have parts WORTHWHILE parts they will sell for gold. Check ebay and see what a junk Mall 7 sells for............. Here at local auction $350.00. What about a Stihk 066 basket case in a bucket???? I will assure you here it will surprise you. Throw some Stihl parts in a beer flat and you will get $30

Bill

I get a laugh at how some say the local auction route is going to get pennies on the dollar.

Here that is not the case. If you have worthless parts from name brand companies they will sell well here. If you have parts WORTHWHILE parts they will sell for gold. Check ebay and see what a junk Mall 7 sells for............. Here at local auction $350.00. What about a Stihk 066 basket case in a bucket???? I will assure you here it will surprise you. Throw some Stihl parts in a beer flat and you will get $30

Bill

Around here people will overpay for the 'good stuff' too. But other things will go for obscenely low prices. The last estate auction I went to I bought a box of 30+ 2 and 3 jaw gear pullers, all shapes and sizes for $4.

Sure people will pay for a NOS stihl muffler. But they won't pay much for an oddball mower bracket or starter spring. That's why they invented box lots. People pay for the one desireable item and throw the rest in the basement or throw it away.

One might think that there is someone out there looking for many of those parts. This might be true on the saw stuff, but I can tell you (as someone who has bought a group of NOS Stihl parts) that nobody is running an FS51AVE or BG61 anymore. The parts for those trimmer/blower/other will just sit and sit. One may sell for a few cents here and there, but overall they are not worth anything. I separated mine into SAW, BLOWER/TRIMMER, and UNIVERSAL (bearings and the like.) I have been into the trimmer stash maybe 5 times in 5 years. Good luck. I might buy the NOS Stihl parts, but I have enough busted saws etc here already. Hopefully the guy with the Dodge truck does not end up with them, as I get tired of that picture on Epay.

I saw eBay item 121132881752. And thought it was the OP, but the locations are off.

Latest posts

Back