not fair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
being able to stop at a tim horton's every morning.QUOTE]

Gotta love Tims. I have to stop and have one every morning (when I'm not working cottage country). That stuff is addictive.

Oldirty, nice crane pic. Its great working for a good employer.
"Find a job you love and you never work a day in your life." - Confucius

I run a (part-time) tree removal business and now that I'm the boss I remember the good employers I had (and what I didn't like about the bad ones) and try to treat the guys that work for me fairly.

maybe this deserves its own seperate thread but I would be interested in your opinion as to what you liked/disliked about previous employers.

Got a crane job set up sunday myself. it should be nice, just a couple multi leadered dead hemlocks - probably adelgid. Job is in in a local cemetary so obviously i cant drive the tractor on it and I'm not breaking out the wheelbarrow. lol. also not a fan of roping tons of little hemlock branches and I cant see bouncing them off the headstones... sort of disrespectful. Its not a big job, just the crane plus my regular day rate. Something different though.

That makes three this year, an mds record! cant wait to take another ride on my reclining chair...I mean new saddle. should be better yet now that I've got The HC and the VT worked out. Picked up a 353xp (thought it was a 346, long story) with a 16" bar and that thinner chain (0.50?), I think I'll start with that saw.

Doing just weekends now with the subs. Trying to gather some more nuts before winter. just looked at another one for an existing customer thats at least two days already, probably closer to four depending on what trees the town is responsible for. best part of that one is they "would want me to do it on a weekend", lol. Nice!

I'm starting to like my little tree biz again. Should be a good winter. :cheers:

Definitely get some pics!

LOL, what saddle did you get again. I think you told me before but I forgot. I love my.. well, not so new anymore saddle. It's still kind of new to me since it's the first upgrade in style I have made in years. Anyway, Love my Petzl Mini Boss. Thanks again for cluing me in on that saddle OD!

Awwwwwww don't tell me ya gets the spooks lol

That might be a portion of it but mainly it's just the PITA that all cemetery work brings to the table. Whether you're climbing, dragging, carrying, or in a bucket ( like you can get one of them 'round a cemetery lol ) it's just non-stop annoyance, period.

Definitely get some pics!

LOL, what saddle did you get again. I think you told me before but I forgot. I love my.. well, not so new anymore saddle. It's still kind of new to me since it's the first upgrade in style I have made in years. Anyway, Love my Petzl Mini Boss. Thanks again for cluing me in on that saddle OD!

I got the arbormaster versatile, with the deluxe package..the fancy clips and the sliding waist belt deal (instead of one hole every two inches). its gonna be new to me for a while, sinse I climbed for fifteen years or more on the old one. Lol.

And I seriously don't like being on top of graves, seems disrespectful but is unavoidable when working.

. Anyway, Love my Petzl Mini Boss. Thanks again for cluing me in on that saddle OD!

i've been meaning to ask you about the saddle. how she holding up? mine is still in good shape. psyched about that, i was a little worried about its toughness but so far so good.

bigger d rings and it would be the best saddle ever. soooo easy to step into and cinch it up. perfect fit no matter how many layers you got on.

i cant believe they stopped making that saddle. some one screwed up by stopping production on the miniboss thats for sure. attachments galore for that saddle. you can throw the stuff you need to SRT on it too. and the shoulder harness too i think. youve been doing more SRT lately havent ya? still havent tried it yet. ive rope climbed maybe 5 trees since i started at this company man. lol. just straight crane removal.

have you had the pleasure of a crane ride in that saddle yet?

That might be a portion of it but mainly it's just the PITA that all cemetery work brings to the table. Whether you're climbing, dragging, carrying, or in a bucket ( like you can get one of them 'round a cemetery lol ) it's just non-stop annoyance, period.

I love bombing chunks:hmm3grin2orange:

i've been meaning to ask you about the saddle. how she holding up? mine is still in good shape. psyched about that, i was a little worried about its toughness but so far so good.

bigger d rings and it would be the best saddle ever. soooo easy to step into and cinch it up. perfect fit no matter how many layers you got on.

i cant believe they stopped making that saddle. some one screwed up by stopping production on the miniboss thats for sure. attachments galore for that saddle. you can throw the stuff you need to SRT on it too. and the shoulder harness too i think. youve been doing more SRT lately havent ya? still havent tried it yet. ive rope climbed maybe 5 trees since i started at this company man. lol. just straight crane removal.

have you had the pleasure of a crane ride in that saddle yet?

No crane work since I got it OD but I have done a few large removals where I had to spend some time in the saddle. Very comfy! I did see what you were talking about with the straps loosening up on the rope bridge attachment. I am working on a permanent solution for that. Really not a big deal as long as you keep it in mind and tighten it up as needed. I am in the habit of looking my saddle over before I climb anyway.

Bigger D rings would be a major improvement. However, I have climbed with saddles with the smaller D rings before and it is no big deal once you get used to them.

I have been doing a little SRT but I still mostly ascend on a doubled line and always work on a double line. I am about to go all out with it though and buy more gear to use for SRT so I can play around in the slow season.

Best thing this saddle has going for it is the comfort. Most comfortable saddle I have ever climbed in. I love it!

i ended up duct taping everything but the waist straps. no problems now with that. even the leg straps like to get loose. oh well they got taped too.

i ended up duct taping everything but the waist straps. no problems now with that. even the leg straps like to get loose. oh well they got taped too.

It's going to take a heckuvalot more than duct tape to sell me on those idiotic new little D rings on some of the saddles now. I hate them, think they're dangerous, and quite likely to get a climber killed who's accustomed to the old school large D rings.

They're the most ill conceived dangerous frustrating arborist's saddles on the market.

You're right on target about stiffening things up on your saddle OD, and that includes the upper D rings themselves. The old school sierra moreno saddles and their highly stiffened large upper D rings will be my next saddle component purchase. Nothing more frustrating than chasing a floppy D ring around in a critical situation trying to secure yourself.

It must be a rock climber saddle design theme that unfortunately got introduced into the tree biz somehow.

I have little doubt that little D ring saddles have caused falls and accidents in this biz already.

jomoco

It's going to take a heckuvalot more than duct tape to sell me on those idiotic new little D rings on some of the saddles now. I hate them, think they're dangerous, and quite likely to get a climber killed who's accustomed to the old school large D rings.

They're the most ill conceived dangerous frustrating arborist's saddles on the market.

You're right on target about stiffening things up on your saddle OD, and that includes the upper D rings themselves. The old school sierra moreno saddles and their highly stiffened large upper D rings will be my next saddle component purchase. Nothing more frustrating than chasing a floppy D ring around in a critical situation trying to secure yourself.

It must be a rock climber saddle design theme that unfortunately got introduced into the tree biz somehow.

I have little doubt that little D ring saddles have caused falls and accidents in this biz already.

jomoco

Jomoco, I absolutely agree with you on the rock climbing design being introduced to the tree biz. I never liked the rock climbing type harnesses.

The saddle we are talking about does have stiff D's they are just smaller than the large D's on most tree saddles. I am in the habit of giving my lanyard a tug before I lean back on it for safety sake. Takes a little while to be able to do it in the blind but it comes with practice. I would much prefer larger D's tho.

The saddle is very comfortable and there are lots of options to customize. I put a rope bridge on mine and plan to do a little more customizing. My leg straps will work lose every couple of weeks or so it seems like. No biggie for me. They have rubber deals to hold them in place and they work pretty good. They are not like the buckle straps on the old school saddles, they are sliding adjustable buckles. OD is not talking about stiffening them up he's talking about putting a piece of tape on them to keep them from loosening up. I think I will try the same.

Back