not fair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That reads like it's all high power on your face of this business.

What are the tax write offs for?

Tax write-offs are for limiting your exposure when the fed. govt. comes around in april and asks for all your hard-earned cash.

Practically everything business-related can be written off, including: ropes, saddles, saws, fuel, climbing and rigging gear, truck and equipment purchases (may need to depreciate) equipment rentals, certain labor, sub-contractors, uniforms (boots, chaps, PPE, shirts, jeans, polos, gloves, socks, coats, hats, etc.) shop and office expenses including supplies, parts, rent and utilities, maintenance and repair costs, advertising, professional consultation services, accreditations and certifications, CEUs, on and on and on.

Save your receipts and find a good accountant that understands what a "Schedule C" is.

The trick is, in a biz that deals with a sometimes considerable amount of cash, not to claim write-offs that exceed your yearly income (on paper, excluding the cash that you may not have claimed as income), cause then the IRS gets curious about how you spent all that money and still could afford to pay your bills and feed your family. Mess that one up, and then you got an Audit on your hands...

I have little use for a jib, I feel they add time I should not pay for, (ever stood in a tree and watched the operator work the jib into place?) and only decrease load weight too much. I size the crane reach accordingly to work without it.

I never have stood and watched but I have had to help put it on many times. I used to do all crane work with an old codger I worked a few years for. He taught me a lot about working a crane and tree work in general. God rest his soul.

I totally agree about using the right sized crane for the job. Was just giving specs on my friend's crane. I will use him anytime I can. The price is right. We will go scope the job before we do it if I get it and get our set up laid out. If I need something bigger that option is available.

Good advice from all tho!

Don't tell me you can't read again, jonny. If you've got problems with words, why not just say so?

I don't know what you want to socialize about purses for, but I assume you have no specific purpose these days. Can't figure out how to operate your poulan or what?
Listen JR my :censored: does more tree work than you , and I have forgotten more as well , so lets not go there Mr. use a chain dull it and throw it away , maybe I'll learn the bowline today. My question to you is this , what the :censored: are you out cutting trees for when the fries are burning and the burgers need flipping ....

I say :censored: the competiton there not responsible for me making it or failing , your business should suit your ability and your local economy , if your survive you need to be hungry , and sell your potential and expertise and furthermore stick with what works for you..

I'd rather not say right now. I do have competitors who are members here. I will say that I priced it considerably less than I would have a year ago but I have a better crane connection now.

I will say that it is two large, mature trees in a very tight spot, up against a fence and over two houses. The furthest one is about 100' out. Both trees will have to be picked over the house. You can do the math.

I'm bidding on two trees as well, for two different clients, next to each other. Huge ~65" dbh cottonwoods, 140-150 feet tall. Must be done on a weekend. 100 ton crane rates are $460 hr on Sunday, $400 on Sat....set-up and teardown is well over an hour each. Time and a half for flaggers on Sat, double on Sunday. Might be able to do some branch removal without crane so as to be able to only block one lane and work on a weekday. Then, maybe get by with 2 days of crane time. Best not to assume the job will go well, and bid low. I know some bids have already been submitted for the less hard of the two trees, at as high as $12,000.

Listen JR my :censored: does more tree work than you , and I have forgotten more as well , so lets not go there Mr. use a chain dull it and throw it away , maybe I'll learn the bowline today. My question to you is this , what the :censored: are you out cutting trees for when the fries are burning and the burgers need flipping ....

(Chuckling to self)

I repped ya.

FTA, you should of known that when you went into the biz.
Jeff

Everything is not nice and even, straight and narrow. This biz is mostly filth and grime, illegals, under the table pay and liars, improvisation and accidents etc, etc. "Should have known that"....in this sea of the above.... more like could have known that given the just the right circumstances. Not meaning to rock your boat for anything, but your comment sticks well at face falue, but it doesn't weigh much in the huge underlying base of what the field is comprised of.

To counter the drift I seem to give away here, I am for paying my share of taxes and following all means of abiding by the obligations that come with owning the business. I'm even as good as never lying to the landfills about where the debris is from and whether it's for business or personal. I don't get to make as much money that way, but I don't want to start any bad practices either although the spectators, businessmen and otherwise, have advised me of the nefarious programs underlying the field of this business.

Got a crane job set up sunday myself. it should be nice, just a couple multi leadered dead hemlocks - probably adelgid. Job is in in a local cemetary so obviously i cant drive the tractor on it and I'm not breaking out the wheelbarrow. lol. also not a fan of roping tons of little hemlock branches and I cant see bouncing them off the headstones... sort of disrespectful. Its not a big job, just the crane plus my regular day rate. Something different though.

That makes three this year, an mds record! cant wait to take another ride on my reclining chair...I mean new saddle. should be better yet now that I've got The HC and the VT worked out. Picked up a 353xp (thought it was a 346, long story) with a 16" bar and that thinner chain (0.50?), I think I'll start with that saw.

Doing just weekends now with the subs. Trying to gather some more nuts before winter. just looked at another one for an existing customer thats at least two days already, probably closer to four depending on what trees the town is responsible for. best part of that one is they "would want me to do it on a weekend", lol. Nice!

I'm starting to like my little tree biz again. Should be a good winter. :cheers:

Got a crane job set up sunday myself. it should be nice, just a couple multi leadered dead hemlocks - probably adelgid. Job is in in a local cemetary so obviously i cant drive the tractor on it and I'm not breaking out the wheelbarrow. lol. also not a fan of roping tons of little hemlock branches and I cant see bouncing them off the headstones... sort of disrespectful. Its not a big job, just the crane plus my regular day rate. Something different though.

That makes three this year, an mds record! cant wait to take another ride on my reclining chair...I mean new saddle. should be better yet now that I've got The HC and the VT worked out. Picked up a 353xp (thought it was a 346, long story) with a 16" bar and that thinner chain (0.50?), I think I'll start with that saw.

Doing just weekends now with the subs. Trying to gather some more nuts before winter. just looked at another one for an existing customer thats at least two days already, probably closer to four depending on what trees the town is responsible for. best part of that one is they "would want me to do it on a weekend", lol. Nice!

I'm starting to like my little tree biz again. Should be a good winter. :cheers:

You know you gotta show pics now, don't ya? lol. What's the deal with weekends? You get a day job or something?

You know you gotta show pics now, don't ya? lol. What's the deal with weekends? You get a day job or something?

Its not all that pic worthy really. But I'll take them anyways sinse it is a crane job...but I think its gonna be a while before I get this computer/pic thing figured out. lol :monkey:

No weekday crew at the moment and I usually die in december anyways (no more new guys this year please), so I just want to make some more scratch to fatten up the bank account (think wood stove/project dump truck). Weekend crew is the best anyways, good friends with tons of exp. I may have my other buddy do one so I can watch and take pics.

nice! gotta love the respect for the dead too, cemeteries are a tough place to work in.

good stuff.

definitely get some pics.

Thanks blakes and oldirty.

Crane was a good choice I think. I can only imagine how much longer this job would take without one...rigging down the branches and tops, brush dragging, then roping the wood and breaking out the wheelbarrow - no thanks!

This way it cost them the same and we look better too. Besides, theres no regular crew to worry about keeping busy at the moment.

I'm glad I finally got over my crane phobia, you wouldnt believe some of the rigging I used to do to avoid a crane (and to keep a guy busy), it was just my old school training. I had to learn to be able to do this whithin my own company pretty much.

Hey oldirty: someday I promise to post pics of "old brown's last hurrah". that was the best one yet, the old dog got her done for sure. That whole job was like a carnival ride, but you already know what thats about. lol

being able to stop at a tim horton's every morning.QUOTE]

Gotta love Tims. I have to stop and have one every morning (when I'm not working cottage country). That stuff is addictive.

Oldirty, nice crane pic. Its great working for a good employer.
"Find a job you love and you never work a day in your life." - Confucius

I run a (part-time) tree removal business and now that I'm the boss I remember the good employers I had (and what I didn't like about the bad ones) and try to treat the guys that work for me fairly.

Back