Now I'm back to square one!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
In October I was looking at a Husky 353 and a Stihl MS280 both with 16 inch bars. At the time I liked the 353. It seemed to feel a little better to me. I ran into a guy that used to be a customer of the company I worked at 9 years ago. He's now working at a Stihl dealer (also sell Ariens snow blowers and Ariens Kubota outdoor equipment). The dealer is 5 minutes from my house. I stopped in today to see him. While I was there I looked at some saws. I gotta say the MS361 is bad a$$! That saw just seems awesome. I just can't justify spending $600 on a chain saw. I cut and split about 5 face cords of firewood a year. It would be over kill. My price range is $400. I'm going to buy from a servicing dealer.

I looked at the MS280 again. I'm kind of warming up to it. I'm at the point where I could flip a coin, heads the 353, tails the MS280. The bad part about the 353 is there is only one dealer in my area that stocks them. He's about a half hour away. I like the idea of the Stihl dealer being 5 minutes away. They sell and stock everything I'll need for my saw, oil, chains, bars, air filters everything! Both dealers offer really good service.

When I was looking at the MS280 it seemed to have a metal case where the smaller Stihl's seemed like they had plastic cases. So how does the MS280 stack up against the 353? I'm not trying to start a Stihl -vs- Husqvarna was here, not at all. I don't have any brand loyalty. I just want the best saw for my needs with the best support. I have a 021 and a 029. The next saw I get I'll probably use 75% of the time. Thanks NYH1!

Do you have a local dolmar dealer close by? So you could try out a 5100S?
I see alot of dolmar dealers from NY on this site.

PS 5100S Chain Saw 16" Bar
Features 50.7cc Dolmar Engine. 14,500 Max Engine RPM. 15.6oz Fuel Capacity. 9oz. Oil Capacity. 16" Bar
Price: $349.99

Here's a good idea: Sell the 029 and combine the proceeds from that sale with your $400 budget and buy the 361. No comparison between the 361 and the 280.

And with a Stihl dealer with whom you have a pre-existing personal relationship all of 5 minutes away, I'd say skip the Husqvarna idea.

imo, not much difference between the 280 and the 029. really. the 280 is 1.5 lbs lighter and the 290 is .2hp more powerful. imo, not enough difference to make me go buy one when I already had the other.
a 65cc saw sounds right up your alley. the 361 I've heard comments ranging from great to not 1/2 the saw the 360 was. imo, jurys still out. I have a 360pro, so I'm not looking to buy a 361. besides I agree, over 4 and a half bills for a 65cc saw is crazy anyway. did that once. learned from it.
I agree that the 5100S is more than you ever bargined for, but you seem to like dealer support, and if there's none near you, its a moot point anyway.

DOLMARatOs, my dolmar dealer sells the 5100S with 18" 3/8 for $359. cheaper to me.
list? :laugh: Are you telling me if I walk into your store for 5-6 saws at a time, that i'll be charged list? if so, you'll watch me leave emptyhanded. shoot, I get these prices when I want one saw at a time. pickup my 7900 for $550 monday (if the rep made it today or mon morn). but I buy 8-10 saws a year plus chain and spares. so that makes a difference too.
-Ralph

Ralph,

You have a good point. "List" price is a starting point on all equipment. If you were a customer that purchased multiple saws per season or were looking for more than one saw at a time, you wouldn't pay anywhere near list price to be sure. I was just curious as to why your dealer felt that a 5100S wasn't worth $400.00 if he was selling them for $359.00. A 10% Discount is a really nice thing to be sure.

We have a policy of 10% discount on all "case quantities". For power equipment that is 2 or more. Buy 2 or more pieces of equipment and you start out at 10% off the sticker. If you were buying say 5 or 10 pieces of equipment plus parts and accessories then you would pay a price much closer to dealer cost to be sure.

NYH1, If wood cutting is a chore to you the MS361 will take some
of the chore out of it, by how fast and smooth it cuts.
If you like cutting wood, you will like it much better with a MS361
I think it will last many, many years, so if you dived many, many years
in the extra $200 it's not that much more, with the plus
of get to use a good saw every time you go to the woods
And I know the cash can be hard to come by.
But the 361 is a very nice saw, in my opinion

Good luck, Gary

How about anther plan? I have no problem with the 5100, if you can find a dealer. The 280 isn't that impressive of a saw, I have a buddy that has one, cuts on par with mine and his Husky 350's, and costs more!! I am adamant, and suprised how much people agree with me, that I will buy a 50cc Husky long before getting a Stihl 50cc saw.

So........ Thinking a bit outside the box, what if you were to take you're $400 and buy a used 360/361 and then buy you're supplies from you're dealer? Do you have to have a new one? Just for the same money, you get a MUCH better saw, that you WILL be happy with that is broken in for you?:cheers:
Andy

DOLMARatOs said:
Ralph,

You have a good point. "List" price is a starting point on all equipment. If you were a customer that purchased multiple saws per season or were looking for more than one saw at a time, you wouldn't pay anywhere near list price to be sure. I was just curious as to why your dealer felt that a 5100S wasn't worth $400.00 if he was selling them for $359.00. A 10% Discount is a really nice thing to be sure.

We have a policy of 10% discount on all "case quantities". For power equipment that is 2 or more. Buy 2 or more pieces of equipment and you start out at 10% off the sticker. If you were buying say 5 or 10 pieces of equipment plus parts and accessories then you would pay a price much closer to dealer cost to be sure.

you're right, and that's probably where the confusion arises. a guy reads post from guys like me and others who buy a lot of saws and automatically get the discount no matter what. but we earn that discount too. new guys walking into a dealership for the first time might feel cheated after reading our price quotes.
you sound like a good guy, I'd be happy to walk into your shop anytime. :cheers:

andy, your plan sux BTW lol :cheers:
-Ralph

sawinredneck said:
Hey, it was a thought:bowdown:

and a good one too. I dont run huskys anymore, but I hear better things about 50cc huskys than about new 65cc stihls :sword:
-Ralph

begleytree said:
and a good one too. I dont run huskys anymore, but I hear better things about 50cc huskys than about new 65cc stihls :sword:
-Ralph

From what I have read and heard, if I had the money to spare, I wouldn't be afraid to get a 361 to replace the "it really hated me" 262xp I sold, but I am getting more used to the 046, so the 50cc Huskies run until they cant do it, the out comes the big gun!! Kinda odd to hear of a member of this site downsizing his saw inventory, isn't it?:hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Kinda odd to hear of a member of this site downsizing his saw inventory, isn't it?
Andy

not really, when I take into account your age and lack of (good) physical condition, I wonder why you didn't do it a few years ago :sword:

LMAO

:D Ralph

begleytree said:
not really, when I take into account your age and lack of (good) physical condition, I wonder why you didn't do it a few years ago :sword:

LMAO

:D Ralph

Now thats just mean!!!:greenchainsaw:
Andy

DOLMARatOs said:
Which dealer is selling 5100S-16 saws for $349.99? I'd like to buy a couple. List on that model is $404.95.
Cant post them here. But there is a $49 set up and shipping fee, tacked on. plus side is you dont pay TAX though.
My local dealer is $369 with 18". So much for list eh.

Cut4fun said:
Cant post them here. But there is a $49 set up and shipping fee, tacked on. plus side is you dont pay TAX though.
My local dealer is $369 with 18". So much for list eh.

I don't feel bad at all about selling these saws for $399.99 sticker. I'll always roll the price down to $375.00 with an extra loop of chain, 6-pack of 2-cycle oil and a bottle of bar oil. We set up all our equipment at no charge whatsoever. Shipping on saws via DHL to anywhere in the US from here is under $20.00 for a 20lb box. So I guess my price is lower.

Do you charge set-up on all equipment? If so, why not just sell it at list price and explain....nevermind. Different business paractices are for different regions and businesses.

Back