Now I'm back to square one!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawinredneck said:
So, doin a little math here, 349.99+49=$398.99, then shipping =?

I agree with Sawinredneck. But, but. We aren't in the same market, state or business. It's important to figure what it really costs to sell a piece of equipment. I figured out that it costs me around $50.00 in labor to sell a new saw and close to $150.00 for a tractor. We don't charge set-up fees but our prices may be higher.

A set up fee maybe something that we'll look into at a later date, but for 14 years our policy has been that if you decide to buy a piece of equipment at the sticker price, that's what you pay plus State sales tax. No extra fees. This makes us a little less flexible on our sale prices.

Cut4fun said:
Do you have a local dolmar dealer close by? So you could try out a 5100S?
I see alot of dolmar dealers from NY on this site.

PS 5100S Chain Saw 16" Bar
Features 50.7cc Dolmar Engine. 14,500 Max Engine RPM. 15.6oz Fuel Capacity. 9oz. Oil Capacity. 16" Bar
Price: $349.99
I have one Dolmar dealer in my area. However Dolmar dealer never last long around here. I have no idea why, they just don't. I want to stick with Stihl or Husky for this reason.

computeruser said:
Here's a good idea: Sell the 029 and combine the proceeds from that sale with your $400 budget and buy the 361. No comparison between the 361 and the 280.

And with a Stihl dealer with whom you have a pre-existing personal relationship all of 5 minutes away, I'd say skip the Husqvarna idea.
I'd love to get the 361, just more money then I want to spend. Like I said I cut and split 5 face cords of firewood a year. I'm going to keep the 029. Even if I only use it as a back up it's worth keeping. Most of time my friend comes with me. He loves to cut wood and loves my 029 and he cuts for free (well ok we usually drink beer when we get home!!!), plus I don't like cutting alone so it works out good for both of us. When I cut my firewood I'm about an hour from home. I bring three saws with me, my 021 for most limbing and light bucking, 029 for felling and large bucking and my dads old Homelite Super XL as a back up. I just want something in between my 021 and 029 both weight and power wise!

One other thing I should add is that the average diameter of the trees I cut is between 12 and 16 inches a few feet off the ground. Mostly cherry.

Seriously, for what you are talking about and wanting to spend, I would look long and hard at a Husky 350 or 353!!! Very cost efective and great saws!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Seriously, for what you are talking about and wanting to spend, I would look long and hard at a Husky 350 or 353!!! Very cost efective and great saws!
Andy
I still might do that, a 353 that is. I just wanted to get some more opinions on both saws.

Used

NYH1 said:
In October I was looking at a Husky 353 and a Stihl MS280 both with 16 inch bars. At the time I liked the 353. It seemed to feel a little better to me. I ran into a guy that used to be a customer of the company I worked at 9 years ago. He's now working at a Stihl dealer (also sell Ariens snow blowers and Ariens Kubota outdoor equipment). The dealer is 5 minutes from my house. I stopped in today to see him. While I was there I looked at some saws. I gotta say the MS361 is bad a$$! That saw just seems awesome. I just can't justify spending $600 on a chain saw. I cut and split about 5 face cords of firewood a year. It would be over kill. My price range is $400. I'm going to buy from a servicing dealer.

I looked at the MS280 again. I'm kind of warming up to it. I'm at the point where I could flip a coin, heads the 353, tails the MS280. The bad part about the 353 is there is only one dealer in my area that stocks them. He's about a half hour away. I like the idea of the Stihl dealer being 5 minutes away. They sell and stock everything I'll need for my saw, oil, chains, bars, air filters everything! Both dealers offer really good service.

When I was looking at the MS280 it seemed to have a metal case where the smaller Stihl's seemed like they had plastic cases. So how does the MS280 stack up against the 353? I'm not trying to start a Stihl -vs- Husqvarna was here, not at all. I don't have any brand loyalty. I just want the best saw for my needs with the best support. I have a 021 and a 029. The next saw I get I'll probably use 75% of the time. Thanks NYH1!

I hate to keep saying this, but damn, doesn't anyone buy used saws on here but me? That $600 seems high. Retail on the 440 is only $629. The 361 I believe retailed for like just over $500 here. I'd price around were I you and make sure you were actually getting a deal. Since your on a tight budget check around for a used one dude. You might be able to save some money and get a little bit bigger saw. Just another option for you to consider.

Thanks guys. I guess I should have been or could have been a little clearer on the 361. I didn't and don't have any intentions on buying a 361. It was just the first time I've ever held one and it's a very nice saw. It's like going to the car dealer to look at a new truck and while you're there you just happen to sit in a Corvette or Viper. You know you're not buying one but you look at it anyway's. That's all I was saying. Again I should have been more clear on that.

I'm going to buy new, either a MS280 or and more then likely a 353. I don't want to buy used. With my luck I'd buy a used 361 for $300 and I'd have to put another $300 it to after I bought it. I just don't want to go down that road. I just wanted some more opinions on both the MS280 and 353 that's all. I like both dealers and both saws. One dealer is 5 minutes away (sells Stihl) and the other is about 30 minutes away (sells Stihl, Husky and Jonsered). They both offer good service, stock a lot of parts and accessories. I appreciate everyone advise and if anyone has anymore I'll take it! Thanks again guys!

Back