Observations between 441/460 and the 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts, input between the Stihl 441/460 and the Dolmar 7900. Not trying to start a war, or any product bashing, but I am in the market for a new (bigger) saw. Having all of the saws below (listed in the signature line), I am looking for something to slap a 24" bar onto, with an occasional larger 28" for some larger wood.

Now with that said...

I have never owned or operated a Dolmar. So I can only take observations (good and bad) from members who have. I do know OF someone who owns one, but is dissatisfied with his. Now, this has no credibility what so ever. I have not spoken with him directly. I have no idea what model or why he dislikes his saw. I have yet to speak with him myself... but none the less, makes me curious.

I like the raw power of the MS460. I have run one with a 28" bar in some locust and some oak. Really nice saw, seems reasonably balanced with that length bar.

I have never had the opportunity to run the 441, but if the anti-vibe is much better than that of other Stihls, I might be interested. I like the anti-vibe of my 357XP, I can say it is very comfortable. Wonder how the 441 compares to the Husky set up. I do like newer technology as well. So the newer air filtration, fuel consumption is a plus.

The Dolmar peaks my curiosity... I am one who looks for the best bang for the buck. The 7900 is very enticing with the power to weight ratio. What is not desirable, is the lack of local support. Nearest dealer is an hour away, not that I don't like road trips, but if I need dealer support, it could get costly in fuel mileage.

Power to weight ratios seems to carry a lot of weight with members on this site, but does anybody have any thoughts on what goes into making those numbers better? If you have a saw that cranks out 6.3 bHP and only weighs 13.5 lbs and the comparable saw weighs 14.6 lbs, what was compromised (or engineered better) to make it lighter. Was more plastic added, critical engine block mass reduced, etc? I really like the "numbers" on the 7900, but are there any longevity issues that result of the lighter set up?

Last edited:
IMO. I think the Dolmars have better porting from the factory and that contributes to the higher hp. The higher displacement doesn't hurt either. Yeah a 7900 has more hp than a 372xp, it also has 7cc's more.

I like my 7900. I would take it over a 460, but I've never ran a 460.
But if I was going to go big. I'd really go big. 395xp or 660. 395xp being my first choice.

Well, I am going on vacation. I see that you are a FireFighter. Since you are in the same relative field, I have an instinctive trust in you. Therefore, since your dealer is so far away, I will ship you my 7901 with a 20" bar and 3 RSC chains to try out. Shouldn't cost too much, I'll ship it out tomorrow if you want it, send me a PM.

Jason

IMO. I think the Dolmars have better porting from the factory and that contributes to the higher hp. The higher displacement doesn't hurt either. Yeah a 7900 has more hp than a 372xp, it also has 7cc's more.

But if I was going to go big. I'd really go big. 395xp or 660. 395xp being my first choice.

I don't really need to go that big. I can get my hands on a 395XP if I really need to. I am only cutting firewood.

Well, I am going on vacation. I see that you are a FireFighter. Since you are in the same relative field, I have an instinctive trust in you. Therefore, since your dealer is so far away, I will ship you my 7901 with a 20" bar and 3 RSC chains to try out. Shouldn't cost too much, I'll ship it out tomorrow if you want it, send me a PM.

Jason

Jason,

I appreciate the offer. Lets wait. I am going to make the hour trip to the Dolmar dealer, only after assuring that I can try a 7900 at his shop. I am sure I will be impressed with all of the good reviews here. I just want to make sure the saw is going to have the longevity of the others. I have a 030AV that was my grandfather's, still running strong. That's a reputation that is hard to beat.

Last edited:

Jason

WOW!!! What an offer!!:clap: Have some rep!!!

The ports are machined hot from the factory. Very nice exhaust port on the 5100. Haven't seen intake, but if it's anything like the 510, then it's bomb.
I can just imagine the 7900...

I cant comment on the other saw's as I have not run them only held them in the show room. But I love my 7900 Bone stock and I think I will keep her that way as it is not a loud saw to run. I use it with a 20''& 28'' bar it is very smooth and light. I have useless dealers near me but that never stopped me from getting one!

I have never had the opportunity to run the 441, but if the anti-vibe is much better than that of other Stihls, I might be interested.

antivibe on the 441 is rumored to be to rocking horse like. but i hear there is a newer stiffer av spring replacemnet available. the 7900 antivibe is good enough that i never notice it.... i guess it is working.;)

What is not desirable, is the lack of local support. Nearest dealer is an hour away, not that I don't like road trips, but if I need dealer support, it could get costly in fuel mileage.

dolmar dealers are few and far between here also. according to legend, some of them are fly by nite dealers also.

Power to weight ratios seems to carry a lot of weight with members on this site, but does anybody have any thoughts on what goes into making those numbers better? what was compromised (or engineered better) to make it lighter. are there any longevity issues that result of the lighter set up?

i have not weighed my 7900 but i think dolmar is fibbing a little. where did they lose the ounces? at least the plastics on a 7900 are thinner and of a different material than stihl. the clutch/bar cover is a bit lighter in construction in my opinion.

hope that helps.

It all depends on what you like...

I have two 7900's and they are all that and a box of crackers. They have serious grunt and the funniest looking saw that your friends will ever admire. They are however heavier than stated in their literature. I weighed my newest one when I first got it and it was better than 14 lbs. I highly recommend this saw.

I have a 460 and really enjoy running it. It being a Stihl, it feels "right." The handles are setup in a "Stihl" feel. It has the Stihl fit and quality. I use it mostly as a bucking saw and backup to the 7900's. Did I mention I really like the 7900's.

I do have a 441 as well. It is really a Prince of a saw to run. It is silky smooth to run and doesn't burn half as much fuel as my 7900's and 460. It's downfall is the weight. In the wood I cut it is hard to tell the speed difference between it and my 460. It is a much smoother saw than the 460 but I may soon part with it as it is in very nice shape and I don't have the heart to beat it up.

The saws I prefer as all around firewood would have to be my 440/361/026. I let my dad run my 440 and he now tells everyone it is "his" saw even after I gave him a 7900 and a 361.... I personally like the feel of a 361 with a 20" as my "go to" saw but that isn't what you were asking.

Well, your decision should now be clear as mud.

I've ran all of the saws listed, and I must say I like all three of them. However the best bang for the buck is definitely the 7900. It has more power, less weight, and it's a bit cheaper than the other two. I also think the 7900 is smoother than the 441. Durability doesn't seem to be an issue with any of these saws.

Last edited:
I've run all three and I must say the following, even though it has been said before.

441- A nice work saw very smooth and fuel efficient. It's a great stock, but doesn't take mods well. To me it feels like a big 361, we sell most with 25" bars and haven't had issues yet with the ones out in the field.

460- Takes mods well, powerful but the most expensive of the three choices.
A good starting point if you want a good platform for a modified work saw.

7900- Best bang for the buck at a retail price under 800$ it's hard to beat it.
Great saw, real smooth more of an out of the box hot rod than the other two.

I was in the same boat you were in about 6 months ago. I had two Stihl's and was looking for a 70cc saw. I went with the 460 because I already owned stihl's and I could swap bars back and forth along with the chains. My dealer is awsome too, so that helped alot. From what I know the dolmar dealer is about a hour away from me, If something happens to my saw I want to have help quick, not travel a hour to the dealer. If something happened that the dealer needs to keep the saw for a day or two I would have a total of 4 hours on the road. That didnt apeal to me.

You wont be dissapointed with a 460.

Has anyone known somebody who tried to mod a 441.
I love mine and as of now i will be putting the bb kit on it this weekend
i will tell you how it goes.

I think you should throw the Solo 681 into the equation. I was reading on another site that a guy actually preffered the 681 over the 7900. There was something about Solo helping Dolmar with the 7900 design but didn't give credit to Solo. He has ran both saws and says the Solo is a bit stronger. By the way, I met him and don't think he would be spreading BS as he is a very respectible man. Many of you on here know him.

Has anyone known somebody who tried to mod a 441.
I love mine and as of now i will be putting the bb kit on it this weekend
i will tell you how it goes.

Mine has been ported for over a year now.

No regrets with it at all. It's right on the heels of my 660 with a 20" bar.

Latest posts

Back