Octane question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E10 runs better and cleaner, you could have a rubber that doesn't like it but I never had that IN my machines. The issue with water/ethanol is indeed something that could happen as it's a known actor of ethanol; I just never had it before, even after 1-2 years storage.

Just use a premium 2-stroke oil and it won't increases wear.
It has nothing to do with oil quality and no oil will prevent it. It has to do with the high heat of evaporation of alcohol as compared to gasoline.
Ethanol also does weird stuff to oil. Try mixing some denatured alcohol with the oil of your choice and observe the results.

I've had those 4-cycles have problems with the valves, but we never associated it with carbon. The valves get out of adjustment and the engine becomes super hard to pull over due to compressions. My mechanic pulls them apart, adjusts the valves, and away we go with an easy starting engine.
They get out-of adjustment from the carbon deposits on the valve seats and stem. Adjusting the valves is a easy temporary fix, but sooner or latter it needs to be pulled down for decarboning.
The design is just terrible.

Pinkish or whatever color you call it. Seat looks the same. Lose your compression.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ah308/rgerringer/IMG_0360_(1).JPG
IMG_0360_(1).JPG
That's sulfated ash buildup on the exhaust valve. And this is exactly why Stihl formulated Ultra as an ashless oil.
Opti appears to have alot of ash, which isn't surprising given its claimed to operate at high low oil to fuel ratios.
Thanks for posting the pic BTW.

It has nothing to do with oil quality and no oil will prevent it. It has to do with the high heat of evaporation of alcohol as compared to gasoline.
Ethanol also does weird stuff to oil. Try mixing some denatured alcohol with the oil of your choice and observe the results.

That is comparing apples and organges about your oiltests, it all depends on additives the specific oil uses.

Anyways, good oil helps because of additives, it also lowers the temperature of the mixture too, that in combination with the re-tune you need to do anyways. Too lean = mean, especially with ethanol.

That is comparing apples and organges about your oiltests, it all depends on additives the specific oil uses.

Anyways, good oil helps because of additives, it also lowers the temperature of the mixture too, that in combination with the re-tune you need to do anyways. Too lean = mean, especially with ethanol.
Your just making stuff up now. Two cycle oils have very few additives, they all use the same ones and none of them help with the negative effects I've mentioned.

Are we talking about a Stihl 4 mix here?

A 4-stroke engine that looks like that when you open it has issues; oil is too black and dirty and maybe even running to hot because of the wrong oil used IN the engine.

People using the Stihl/Aspen mixes use it because or professional work most of the time so they can't do different with their clients. I won't ever use it for fun, because it's not that fun and causes more issues then giving you advantages.

Your just making stuff up now. Two cycle oils have very few additives, they all use the same ones and none of them help with the negative effects I've mentioned.

You say so, my contacts at several of large oil/gasoline distributors with their own labs tell and prove me different.

A 4-stroke engine that looks like that when you open it has issues; oil is too black and dirty and maybe even running to hot because of the wrong oil used IN the engine.

People using the Stihl/Aspen mixes use it because or professional work most of the time so they can't do different with their clients. I won't ever use it for fun, because it's not that fun and causes more issues then giving you advantages.
So what 2 stroke oil would you recommend to run in that particular engine?

I work in the oil industry buddy. I'm not speculating.

Show us your tests, you are a Test Freak you say ? That would add something to your statements. My experience and what I have discussed with the people I know in that industry never gave me any trouble so I'm fine and I won't change it because I have no need for it. If you show your tests about what you don't speculate that could help more people I assume.

(I'm not your buddy also)

Show us your tests, you are a Test Freak you say ? That would add something to your statements. My experience and what I have discussed with the people I know in that industry never gave me any trouble so I'm fine and I won't change it because I have no need for it. If you show your tests about what you don't speculate that could help more people I assume.

(I'm not your buddy also)
Where did I mention tests? I mentioned physical properties, which can't be disputed. I also mentioned what I have seen anecdotally.
Oil analysis results for two cycle oil are available via google BTW and suffice to say it's not full of magical additives which somehow conteract ethanol.

Back