Odd failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Stihl 041 AV Electronic. Was just finishing up for the day and in the cut when I noticed the carb cover was loose. Tried tightening the hold down knob. No go. Shut down and inspected. The stud that goes from the knob to the carb plate through the filter had broken off flush with the carb plate. The broken end looks like it was a fracture that had been propagating for awhile. I know that the saw has never been dropped or had anything knock against the carb cover, at least as long as I have had it.

Finished out with my MS310.

Quick inspection says that getting that flat plate off the carb isn't going to be simple. The choke linkage at least is attached to it.

Harry K

It is simple.. the lower left corner attaches a short metal arm that goes to a screw just under the top cover and into the crank case / fuel tank joint. Undo that first, the two top nuts, and the entire assembly lifts off. The choke rod will disconnect.

Lakeside53 said:
It is simple.. the lower left corner attaches a short metal arm that goes to a screw just under the top cover and into the crank case / fuel tank joint. Undo that first, the two top nuts, and the entire assembly lifts off. The choke rod will disconnect.

Thanks. I'll take another look. The quick one I did in the field looked like that 'lever' needed to be disconnected from the plate and I couldn't see any way to get at it.

Harry K

Seems like the 041 top covers take a bit of abuse. A friend's 041 Farmboss (no AV, numb hands if you cut without gloves on) has a huge crack running across the top of the cover, and big chunk out of the side. What a durable saw, though. Fun saw to use in hardwoods with a 20" bar, STIHL RS chain. Watch the chips pile up. :D

The carb vibrating loose, breaking things, etc. is real common on the 041.
Check and/or replace all of the gaskets while you are the, and use some
blue loctite.

The 41 was/is a good saw. Mine lasted for years. It was still going strong until the ignition died. Stihl dealer said they could not get the part anymore. Saw is still in the back somewhere. The cover would vibrate lose sometimes but nothing broke, the plate was not that hard to remove. Good luck..

Jaxx

turnkey4099 said:
Thanks. I'll take another look. The quick one I did in the field looked like that 'lever' needed to be disconnected from the plate and I couldn't see any way to get at it.

Harry K

That's why you disconnect it at the lower end..:D I had the same trouble the first time, a long time ago..

No luck. I was gambling that enough of the bolt was sticking out the bottom to turn it out. Wasn't. Top is actually broken off below the top of the plate. I don't have any tool that I can think of to extract it so I guess it is a trip to the Stihl dealer tomorrow. 50 miles one way but at least I can include a stop at a Costco store on the trip. That bolt is so small that I can predict a total screwed up mess if I try to drill it for an easy out (if they even build one that small).

Harry K

They do, but it's a pain... Use a LEFT hand cutting 3mm drill but. Be sure to get it centered. If you have a VX bit around (the type used for centering small screws in hinges), make a pilot with that first.

Lakeside53 said:
They do, but it's a pain... Use a LEFT hand cutting 3mm drill but. Be sure to get it centered. If you have a VX bit around (the type used for centering small screws in hinges), make a pilot with that first.

Don't have a drill press. I doubt I would have attempted it even with a press.

If I weren't up to the age where wisdom should tell me to quit fooling around in the wood lot I would replace the 041 with a modern saw but dayummm it is so much fun running that thing. The log I was working at the time was 60ft to the major crotch, 24" at 60' and 36" at the butt.

Harry K

There is a special screw extractor/left drill combo for the 4-5mm screws -they cost $22 around here. You can get a used plate for $10... or less.

I normally use a battery powered hand held drill - more control... pita though. The VX bits do make it possible though.

Back