Oh please help yourself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoff310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I went outside this morning to grab some wood and noticed my pile along the fence had some wood missing. I had not taken any wood from this pile yet this season. I remember telling my neighbor over the summer if they wanted a piece or 2 for their bonfires take it, I didnt mean half the damn pile in the middle of winter. I would like to know what they did with it, they dont even have a woodburner...I'm Honked off!!

Jeff

Don't ask us ask you neighbor. By the way I could use some more wood whats your addy?

I went outside this morning to grab some wood and noticed my pile along the fence had some wood missing. I had not taken any wood from this pile yet this season. I remember telling my neighbor over the summer if they wanted a piece or 2 for their bonfires take it, I didnt mean half the damn pile in the middle of winter. I would like to know what they did with it, they dont even have a woodburner...I'm Honked off!!

Jeff

Good. After the end of the "Wood Triangle" and "Nutty Professor" melodramas, we need new action.

Now go over there and tweak their little toe-mah-toe noses, a la Bugs Bunny.

Last edited:

Jeff

gimme his email address......i'll email him.

seriously.

Pretty hard to have a real bonfire with a couple of pieces of wood. They probably had a few too many pops and got carried away. I don't
think I would start a feud over a few sticks of wood - you did tell them they could take it.

I have friends who get wood from me . some ( One lol ) beg me to help cut but I never ask for help I just take them some . others feel they deserve it and always want more wood but are never available when it comes time to go and cut , split , stack , sharpen tools or repair stuff . this was their last year for free wood :laugh: I will jump through hoops to help someone in need or is willing to help . moochers ,eh not so much any more

i think its safe to assume the worst from all humans.
if you told them they were welcome to help themselves to your wood pile.. whether you said a peice or 2 or a cord or 2, you have to assume they will take a foot with given an inch, thats how mankind works for the most part.

Chalk it up to a life lesson. You told someone to help themselves, and they did just that.
I know you didn't mean "all-they-want", but it's just firewood to somebody who doesn't spend the time and effort to make their own woodpile. In their mind it didn't cost you anything... and I'm sure they believe you can "easily" get more, if and when you want it.

I learned that "life lesson" many years a go, sort'a along the lines of, "give a man a fish, teach a man to fish." I flat refuse to help someone who won't help themselves... if they won't help themselves they won't appreciate it anyway, and are likely to take advantage of you.

One of the neighbors stopped this fall while I was outside covering windows with plastic (the wife of a couple... city folk transplants), she asked if they could have some of my firewood to use in their fireplace, especially over the holidays. (Now understand, clearly visible from the road, I had near 15-cord neatly stacked and a good size pile of odds & ends. I also knew what the next question would be... they ain't got anything resembling a truck, she would have to ask me to haul it over to their place.)

So I climb down off the ladder, look straight at her and say, "No... I won't give you any of my cut firewood. But if'n you, and/or your husband, wanna' come over tomorrow morning to help, we'll go out in the woodlot and cut and split ya' a nice load of firewood... then I'll haul it down ta' your place and help ya' stack it." (Now listen, I know neither one of them would be much help... but that ain't the point, is it?)
Well, you should have seen the look on her face... she turns, points and says, "But... ... ... you have so much?"
"Yes ma'am... ... ... see ya' in the morning." And I stepped back up on the ladder.

Neither one of them showed the next morning... but I did see him carrying in a couple of those wrapped bundles from the convenience store by the campground one day.

Pretty hard to have a real bonfire with a couple of pieces of wood. They probably had a few too many pops and got carried away. I don't
think I would start a feud over a few sticks of wood - you did tell them they could take it.

true,,but he did say,,a couple of sticks or so,,not 200 or so......

Did you stop to think it might be a whole different thief and not your neighbor or do you know for sure it was them?????

i found it wise to add some detail when i let someone have some of my firewood. i did let someone come over and get some firewood " just till his came in a few days." well, i was out of town for a few days and came home to see a face cord + missing from my pile. called him and his words were," well, ya didnt say how much i could have." he doesnt get any wood from me any more. seems those that ask to "borrow" some firewood are the same ones too busy whe i would go out and get it. i do have a friend, though that came and helped me this year. mentioned i was gonna burn slab wood. he asked if he could help( he's like me. addicted to power tools and loves makin chips). well, woke up one morning to the sound of a chainsaw and he was out there. he started at the crack of dawn!!! and he doesnt even burn firewood! now thats a friend!

....Now understand, clearly visible from the road, I had near 15-cord neatly stacked and a good size pile of odds & ends....

That's the one downside to large stacks. The more ya got, the easier the Muggles think it is to get - like it just magically falls into the truck and into the piles. That's when you have to tell them it doesn't just grow on trees.

Back