Oil and Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never used Amsoil and don't plan on it. Are the failures you see because Amsoil fails as a lubricant or because it is run too long before an oil change? Costco sells Chevron Delo 15-40 so that is why I use it.

The Amsoil definitely failed as a lubricant. It's not like I'm just talking about one machine here, this year the shop has seen a total of 6 lube related engine failures. One of them was just pure neglect, engine hadn't had an oil change in 600 hrs., who knows how long the change before that ran, that is understandable. The other 5 had one thing in common, Amsoil. Two of these actually were owned by a local Amsoil dealer who preaches about the stuff! Two of the others were owned by a die hard Amsoil finatic who kept extensive service records, oil was changed at the recommended 250 hr interval. These were relatively low hr. machines, one had around 2000 hrs., the other around 2400. If it had happened in engines with 6 or 7 thousand hrs. it would be a different story, at that point you couldn't really blame the lube.

Anytime someone starts an oil thread, they run the (highly likely) risk of being made a joke of. I keep an eye on the oil threads both for entertainment and (occasionally) new knowledge. There has been some talk lately about Belray H1R being easier on the sinuses AND getting very good reviews from people who have done exhaustive testing. A couple of the resident saw hacks have stated their approval and use of it (@ 32:1). Several others have reported that after switching to Belray H1R, their sinus issues, headaches, etc have subsided. All this prompted me to get a bottle from a Suzuki dealer. At $10.95 for 379ml, it's not cost prohibitive. Haven't used any yet, however. Different users mix it at 32:1, 40:1, ~45:1, or 50:1. Some (most) have seen the need to retune after switching.

Hahaha. Exhaustive testing. Hahahahaa !!!! Good one.

300:1

I don't care what anyone says!! The best two cycle oil I've ever used is, ISO 46 hydraulic oil mixed at 100:1.... I buy it 5 gallons at a time from TSC. I've used it for years cutting firewood in 110°F and my saws mostly run OK.

I was thinking about switching to seafoam, I hear you can run it at 200:1 without issues. Plus I hear seafoam somehow takes ethanol out of ethanol fuel. They also tell me Amsoil mixed at 100:1 works great, and they say they've never see a failure. I personally would trust every word they say, I highly recommend running these mixes because they say it works, and hay they, whoever they are proved this with hard facts and data.

>
>

I run36,000 rpm at 300:1 using 3-in-1 oil.

sorry, couldn't resist:)

If you can find it, "Oil of Eye of Newt" has a recommended ratio of 100000000000000000 (take a breath) 00000000:1 and can be run in engines spinning so fast, they can't be measured.

Apparently, Amsoil is suing the O.E.N. Manufacturing Co. due to a claimed patent infringement. Amsoil claims that O.E.N. stole their recipe.

No...... Really!

Amsoil may be ok for light duty applications, but if you've got any big machinery it would be wise to change up ASAP! Filters too for that matter! It is not a heavy duty lubricant. Just like truckers will swear by Shell Rotella, don't buy in! May work ok in a big rig that only uses an average of 45% of it's power but put it in a combine or a heavy tractor that is using 85, 90, 95% of it's power over long durations and your lubricity issues will rear their ugly head! Usually takes out the valve train first. Fleetguard filters are top notch. Case IH and John Deere sell the highest quality heavy duty oil. As far as 2 strokes, 100:1?? Why would you want to starve a high rpm engine of it's oil. What do you think you're accomplishing?

We have several dozen pieces of equipment running Rotella 15w40 and have had no issues. Excavators, dozers, v-12 cat gensets, 3408 gensets, all running wide open throttle all day. Loaders, asphalt spreaders, buggys, rollers, graders etc etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with Rotella. Some of this stuff has over 14000 hours.

I agree about the Fleetguard filters.

I don't care what anyone says!! The best two cycle oil I've ever used is, ISO 46 hydraulic oil mixed at 100:1.... I buy it 5 gallons at a time from TSC. I've used it for years cutting firewood in 110°F and my saws mostly run OK.

I was thinking about switching to seafoam, I hear you can run it at 200:1 without issues. Plus I hear seafoam somehow takes ethanol out of ethanol fuel. They also tell me Amsoil mixed at 100:1 works great, and they say they've never see a failure. I personally would trust every word they say, I highly recommend running these mixes because they say it works, and hay they, whoever they are proved this with hard facts and data.

Oh snap.:msp_rolleyes:

Back