Oil ratio and how often you tune

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjcc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anybody noticed that running a higher oil ratio has led to the saw being more susceptible to environmental conditions? I feel I tweak more frequently and when there is a large swing in temp I've had saws that needed large adjustments. I run a modest 40:1 stihl silver. Before I ran 50:1 dyno cheap stuff.

I'd attribute some to being more familiar with saws, but I've had to make much larger adjustments since switching.

I've been keeping an eye on some saws during break in, otherwise I hardly tune anything

Run 32/40-1

I get pretty massive temp swings up in northern MN. Some of my saws seem more susceptible, notably my ms250. 036 and 028 seem to have fewer adjustments.

I'm probably being too picky. I was just curious if more oil made the saw react more to temp changes.

If you are tuned near the upper limit of 4 stroke as well as pig rich,( which neither is going to produce the most power) the saw will react more to temp swings.

I haven't noticed to much need with slight ratio or oil manufacture differences. Elevations get me: I live at 7140' ASLand usually cut wood for heat anywhere from 6500'-9000' ASL, and work saws on fires from 1000'-10,000' ASL. I definately listen and feel for the tune!

Duane

I run 50:1 and usually use 100LL. It keeps longer than normal gas. Since I don't use much saw gas anymore it's not a bad thing.

This year I used maybe 1o gallons, 99% of my cutting is done with the feller buncher and firewood processor. I use the saws for the odd hand falling jobs here and there or to limb stuff the delimber didn't get, or to get a log in pieces so it won't jam up on the firewood processor.
100LL is easy to get up here and not much more than high test gas so I figure what the hay.

Last year my 460 seemed really fussy on temps for some reason. I'd have it tuned spot on, then 2 days later it's maybe 20* temp difference and either it wouldn't idle or the idle was WAY high. Weird thing is my brother also has a 460 and he mentioned the same thing too.

This year I haven't had to touch it at all. Same settings from this summer and is running no different, even at -20*. I do keep it in the shop when it's real cold and I'm not using it, makes it easy to start.

Most of my saws seem temperamental to temperature.
I'm at 100ft ASL
I wonder if elevation and barometric pressure plays a role in POP?
I am @ 175' ASL ............. mine are also touchy with more than 10-15 degrees of temp swing, but I am soooooooooo anal about listening to my stuff when running, then tweaking to how I like it if need be. I am on the rich side. Also if I go somewhere else (like for a side job), I usually have to re-tune. Again, if I am cutting and don't hear what I want to hear ................. out comes the screwdriver. Its like I am allways looking for a reason to tweak :crazy2:

I am @ 175' ASL ............. mine are also touchy with more than 10-15 degrees of temp swing, but I am soooooooooo anal about listening to my stuff when running, then tweaking to how I like it if need be. I am on the rich side. Also if I go somewhere else (like for a side job), I usually have to re-tune. Again, if I am cutting and don't hear what I want to hear ................. out comes the screwdriver. Its like I am allways looking for a reason to tweak :crazy2:
Said perfectly! That's how I am.... Squeak seems to be the temperamental one....

I think I'm kinda the same way. My cutting partner complains I tweak too much, but he only operates saws, I maintain them.

I use 100LL and cut at about 1000' elevation all the time in temps from 50-100 degrees. My 346xp and Still 090 always run perfect and the MS660R likes a little adjustment every few months.

Only my 026 needs adjusting based on elevation changes. The 036 and 046 don't seem anywhere near as sensitive. I chalk it up to the smaller engine and carb just not having as much leeway. I run 50:1 Stihl synthetic and super unleaded (non-ethanol).

Modified /ported saws are much more sensitive to tuning, I carry a tuning screwdriver with me at all times. The saws will run without re tuning but I can`t stand to run them unless they are at their best. All my Stihl, 026, 034, 036 PRO, 044, MS440, 046, 066 MS 660 all require re tuning as the day /weather changes.

I run 40:1 Stihl Orange stuff with 90 Octane non ethanol.Never have to retune.I'm at 2200' but elevation varies here from 1600'-3500' hardly ever go that low or that high.usually between 2000' and 2500'.

Latest posts

Back