Oil seperating from mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have never had a problem in the past. Using silver bottle Husky oil, 45 to 1, 93 octane. Fresh fuel, saws sat less than a month. Very smoky on start up. I shake the jug before filling saws, but have never shaken a saw. Bad gas or oil? Anybody else experience this?

Most likely some of the gas evaps and the oil is left and it makes um smoke some on startup but I guess that's a good thing. Mine do the same thing sometimes.

Never seen or had oil/separate in mixed fuel. I have been running 50:1 with 10% ETOH for years without any problems. I used to recommend ditching fuel after 3 months but now I don’t bother. Left fuel in the trimmers all winter long and it looks just as good as brand new mix. All saws can be a bit smokey on start up but nothing beats a CAT diesel.

I use 25:1 oil hear and if left in strimmers over winter they usuly start with a cloud of smoke.

I assume the fuel eveporates off and leaves the oil, its gone in a few seconds.

I made 6 or 7 cuts in 8" ash waiting for it to clear the first time, then when it was still smoking I assumed something was wrong with the saw.

The second time, with a different saw, I ran it a couple minutes before it cleared up and ran OK.

Never had that problem. I leave mix in all my 2 strokes year around, even my boat motor. I also never throw out mix. Been many years with no problems.

I use 25:1 oil hear and if left in strimmers over winter they usuly start with a cloud of smoke.

I assume the fuel eveporates off and leaves the oil, its gone in a few seconds.

You usin' 30wt motor oil for mix oil?

Always wonder what the reason people will run those archaic mix ratios with modern 2 cycle oil.

Gary

You usin' 30wt motor oil for mix oil?

Always wonder what the reason people will run those archaic mix ratios with modern 2 cycle oil.

Gary

I am using that ratio because thats what it say on the can, bought 25lt when I had a 50cc bike and am still using the stuff. :msp_tongue:

Farmer...I don't think your fuel and oil are seperating...that said I always shake a can of mix too...just habit I guess. Anyway here is what ( I believe) is happening. When you last shut your saw off, the crankcase was fully charged with fuel. The cyl and piston was coated with unburnt mix as well from the few revolutions it turn with ign off. Saw is now stopped for a few months and the gasoline evaporates out through the transfers, exhaust and carb depending where the piston stopped. This leaves the entire crankcase, piston and cyl coated with just your lube oil, you pick the saw up pull it 5-6 times (if it starts good) adding enough fuel to the crankcase to fire up on. Well this mix mixes with the left behind oil from before and picks it up and burns it. If you are running 50:1 then for a period of time the saw will actually getting something like 25:1 until it cleans all the old oil from the interior of the motor and it smokes!!

Back