Oil to Gas mix measurement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent319

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone out there know of a product that can measure the amount of oil needed to mix with a certain amount of gas? For example; let's say I have a 2 gallon can of gas already mixed to a 50:1 ratio of oil/gas. And let's say it's almost empty but not quite and I want to fill it up. Let's say again that it takes 1.30 gallons. What I want is a measuring cup or some sort of measuring devise that will have marking on it that will tell me exactly how much oil I will need for any amount of gas I put in my gas canister. Because the next time I fill it up it may take 1.85 gallons or .67 gallons and so on.

Baileys sells measuring cups I believe. I would play it safe and just mix your gas 1 gallon, 2 gallons at a time. Not worth the risk IMO.

Anyone out there know of a product that can measure the amount of oil needed to mix with a certain amount of gas? For example; let's say I have a 2 gallon can of gas already mixed to a 50:1 ratio of oil/gas. And let's say it's almost empty but not quite and I want to fill it up. Let's say again that it takes 1.30 gallons. What I want is a measuring cup or some sort of measuring devise that will have marking on it that will tell me exactly how much oil I will need for any amount of gas I put in my gas canister. Because the next time I fill it up it may take 1.85 gallons or .67 gallons and so on.

Mixing it a little rich won't hurt a thing. Why make something real complicated. Just add one 50/1 oil and a gallon of gas or two 50/1 and 1.8 gallons of gas. A little rich is good, not enough oil, dats bad. The Ph.d of oil and gas ratios will be along shortly and square all of us away.

P.S. his name is Gasoline71 but goes by Gary some of the time, he'll hookya up.

Baileys does gave a cup for different ratios and amounts.

Last edited:
The Ratio Rite cup... I've been using them with saws and dirt bikes for a hundred years.

If I get down to where there is not much premix left in a can and I need to fill it up. I just dump the remainder in my truck gas tank, and then mix up a fresh batch of mix. The minute amount of oil won't do anything to the truck...

Gary

Get two cans (CHEAP) and use up the old mix first.

Use a graduated cylinder to measure the oil (100-250-500-mL sizes).

You can buy large graduated cylinders (4-L) to measure the fuel, but I just note how much I added to the can.

P.S. 1 quart = 946 -mL

I agree with GAS. I dump the last anyway; the crap builds up on the bottom. Chuck it!

The Ratio Rite cup... I've been using them with saws and dirt bikes for a hundred years.

Gary
Yup. Get the cover, too. I didn't have one for my first 20 yrs. and now am pissed for waiting so long to get one. It saves a lot of wiping out dust and crap, which is a messy pita.
Color the raised numbers with Magic Marker to make them much easier to see.

edit: I just saw that Bailey's doesn't offer the cover. My local shop does.

I agree with GAS. I dump the last anyway; the crap builds up on the bottom. Chuck it!

Not a truer statement has ever been made on this joint! Sides that, them Super C's, H's M's and Farmall Cubs, ahem, thats real Farmall Cubs not like the hunk of CRAP I bought painted yellow just love that stuff with some mix thrown in.

Or dump in your pickup, I know that big block with 188,000 on it don't care. That big Holley Spread Bore that shoots a stream about as big as your middle finger in both secondaries really don't care.

The Stihl mix oil we buy here has a measuring cup built in - says 50:1, then you squish the bottle until it comes up to the 5 litre mark, and dump it in the fuel can. Like a weedkiller bottle.

Here is a ratio calculator. Just plug in the info to suit your situation.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

Thank you very much everyone.

Has anyone seen this, the MixMetrix?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpQIN0XtjFE

Cripes! It ain't rocket science... plus I ain't buyin' something to mix oil in my saws from some cat wearin' a polo shirt and a funny accent.

Seriously... the Ratio Rite cup is so friggin' EZPZ... find a local motorcycle shop and they prolly have them on the shelf in the parts dept. Or if you have a real saw shop in your area. They will have them too...

Gary

If you're worried about the saw going out of tune with a fresh batch of mix (i.e. fresh batch is not perfect ratio to previous batch) make sure you listen to your tune and redo when required. Re-tune your engine not your mix.

we mix ours in a 15 gallon wall mounted tank on our truck, then it goes directly into the saws/equipment or we pour it into a 2 gal can to bring into the woods. we mix it in 5gal increments with the pre-sized oil can's. it's very rare we drain the wall tank completely so we usually mix in 10gal batches.

you could very easily do the same with a 5gal can, make a big batch then x-fer it to a 1 or 2gal can to bring into the woods. keep re-filling the 1/2gal can from the 5'er until the 5 is empty then mix up a new batch.

Get two cans (CHEAP) and use up the old mix first.

Use a graduated cylinder to measure the oil (100-250-500-mL sizes).

You can buy large graduated cylinders (4-L) to measure the fuel, but I just note how much I added to the can.

P.S. 1 quart = 946 -mL

I agree with the two cans, I mean who only has one, COME ON MAN!!
I must have 5 one gallon cans, three 2 gallon plus cans, and the five gallon ones. Find a clean one at a yard sale, buy it. If your the most occasional user, then two one gallon cans will solve all your troubles. REJ2

Back