OK, finally bought a semi-NEW MS 460.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello WV Wood Chopper,

I run all types of saws but mostly Stihl now because of dealer support. My 460 is bone stock and there are two things I don't like about it.

1. The flippy caps, they don't always go back on right and you waste time fooling around with them. I hate em, one of the worst things Stihl ever done.

2. The oiler is very weak, on my 361 and 460 both. I put the high output oiler parts in the 361 last year and it works real good now, in fact I have to turn it down some. The parts for the 460 oiler are back ordered but it will get the high out put parts very soon I hope.

I run a 20 inch bar on both these saws. Put it in some hardwood and you will see what I'm talking about.

I'm happy with everything else on the saws so far. I'm in Tyler county and your welcome to stop by if you like.

v/r

Mike

My 441C oiler has been oiling the bar really good. It's the stock oiler. I mean she don't sling oil all over the place or anything, but it keeps the bar cool to the touch, even buried in hardwood. It's a 28" bar I'm referring to. I figured the 460 had about the same oiler. Maybe not.

Thanks for the info, don't want to burn up a bar and chain. I will look into that at the dealer tomorrow

Rep incomming!!!

1. The flippy caps, they don't always go back on right and you waste time fooling around with them. I hate em, one of the worst things Stihl ever done.

2. The oiler is very weak, on my 361 and 460 both. I put the high output oiler parts in the 361 last year and it works real good now, in fact I have to turn it down some. The parts for the 460 oiler are back ordered but it will get the high out put parts very soon I hope.

I wasn't even aware of this! My 1991 029 slings the oil. Just took for granted that the 460 would too!

I think the oiler is weak on all new Stihls, at least compared to older saws. They do go through about 3/4 tank of oil to 1 tank gas, which tells you the saws are oiling about as expected. But I don't think it's enough.

Howdy Anthony,

I don't know if its the same oiler or not. On mine you can't touch the chain. I took the bar and chain off and ran it and it makes oil like the 361 did, just a little comes out. Putting the new parts in fixed the 361. I'm confident the 460 will improve once I get the parts.

WV wood chopper,

Take the bar and chain off and see if it makes oil. I even enlarged the oil holes in my bar and used stihl oil. I also kept the old parts and asked the dealer if they wanted to send them back to stihl. They declined and said its common complaint.

v/r

Mike

For the price, it's a no brainer to install the HO oiler components into a 460 or 660, especially if you're running longer bars.

It's just two parts you need to change, not the entire pump.

Sm 460

Hey VW
You did well, you will never wrap your hands around a better saw. If all these people that gripe about viberation knew how to properly sharpen and maintain thier chains they would not experance all that discomfort.
Safe cutting Jim

I think you mentioned 3 new SQUARE ground skip chains? Unless you're familiar w/square ground chains you might have a bit of a learning curve. Or replace them as you go maybe. Either way I'm sure you're going to love the new saw....enjoy

Okay, I don't know the difference. I haven't even seen them yet. What should I expect, in running and sharpening them?

Oh I know I don't knw how I can stand it, apparently if its orange and white you can't even hang onto it like I said wah...wah...wah anybody got any diapers?

Square ground cuts a little faster but also dulls faster and if a PITA to sharpen unless you're really good at square filing and im not so i only use round filed chain its more pratical for my use.

Well, people react very differently to vibes - if it doesn't bother you, that's fine!

...but there still may be long term effects from it, you never know for sure before they appear...

Everybody knows there is long term side effects from staring at a computer screen also but that does'nt seem to bother you now does it...:msp_confused:

If you use rubber AV and spring AV side by side you can tell the difference but i guess its more preference than anything.

Okay, I don't know the difference. I haven't even seen them yet. What should I expect, in running and sharpening them?

Just run them til they need sharpend then you can sharpen them with a round file and they will be the same as other chains that you own.

As for the oiler, all stihls larger pro saws only use 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank of oil to a tank of gas as far as I can tell from the last 8-10 new stihls that I've bought. If you remove the bar and start the saw you will see plenty of oil when you give the saw gas. Yes they do sell H.O. oiler parts for your new 460 but I've never had a problem with the factory ones myself. I'm pretty sure that stihl knows what they are doing.

BTW what do ya think of your new 460?

Just run them til they need sharpend then you can sharpen them with a round file and they will be the same as other chains that you own.

As for the oiler, all stihls larger pro saws only use 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank of oil to a tank of gas as far as I can tell from the last 8-10 new stihls that I've bought. If you remove the bar and start the saw you will see plenty of oil when you give the saw gas. Yes they do sell H.O. oiler parts for your new 460 but I've never had a problem with the factory ones myself. I'm pretty sure that stihl knows what they are doing.

BTW what do ya think of your new 460?

Hey bud, haven't fired her up yet, hoping to Sunday if the weather holds out. This thing is SAWEEEET. May get some non-ethanol gas tomorrow and just fill it up to hear it run. This thing is a beast w/ the 32" on her!
I just thought with that big ol' bar she needs more oil. The chain adjuster is just about bottomed out with the chain mounted on the bar. Is there another adjuster I could buy for more adjustment? Can't wait to start it. Now, I am going to have to start it up tomorrow just to tune it for my fuel mix.

Yeah, those ugly vibes on the 460. I've got I don't know how many hundreds of hours on the 460, maybe thousands. Never bothered me. Now, maybe SawTroll has a lot of hours on the 460 as well. If so, he has a reason to comment. If he's just going by what he's heard others say, his comments are :monkey: business.

I know the versions of the 441 are smoother, at least in my experience. And there are lots of guys who like a lot of cream and sugar in their coffee, too. If you like your coffee black, the 460 vibes won't bother you. ;)

OP, pick up a 25-inch B&C in the same pitch/gauge you have in the 36 (probably 3/8 and .050). The 460 will pull the 36-inch with that chain and the mods with decent authority, but day in and day out you'll like the 25-inch combo on that saw better. Throw on an 8-pin rim instead of the 7-pin with the 25 B&C and see how you like the added chain speed. :)

Last edited:
Hey bud, haven't fired her up yet, hoping to Sunday if the weather holds out. This thing is SAWEEEET. May get some non-ethanol gas tomorrow and just fill it up to hear it run. This thing is a beast w/ the 32" on her!
I just thought with that big ol' bar she needs more oil. The chain adjuster is just about bottomed out with the chain mounted on the bar. Is there another adjuster I could buy for more adjustment? Can't wait to start it. Now, I am going to have to start it up tomorrow just to tune it for my fuel mix.

I would think them chains would be fine...they are 105DL like the bar says they should be. I've never had a problem with a 32'' 105dl on a 460 before. I actually just bought them chains from the bay and never counted the dl or mounted them new chains on the saw. I ran it with some older chains that I used on my other 460. Maybe the guy on the bay screwed up and spun up 106dl chains, you may want to count the dl to be sure they are 105.:confused2:

Yeah, those ugly vibes on the 460. I've got I don't know how many hundreds of hours on the 460, maybe thousands. Never bothered me. Now, maybe SawTroll has a lot of hours on the 460 as well. If so, he has a reason to comment. If he's just going by what he's heard others say, his comments are :monkey: business.

I know the versions of the 441 are smoother, at least in my experience. And there are lots of guys who like a lot of cream and sugar in their coffee, too. If you like your coffee black, the 460 vibes won't bother you. ;)

OP, pick up a 25-inch B&C in the same pitch/gauge you have in the 36 (probably 3/8 and .050). The 460 will pull the 36-inch with that chain and the mods with decent authority, but day in and day out you'll like the 25-inch combo on that saw better. Throw on an 8-pin rim instead of the 7-pin with the 25 B&C and see how you like the added chain speed. :)

His bar is a 32'' and I myself have never liked a 8 pin rim on a factory 460 with just a MM. I prefer the torque over chain speed that dies off quickly in hardwood. JMHO:cheers:

My 460's chain with the 32" bar is really loose too. It's a brand new chain and the adjuster is already almost maxed out. I've never counted the drivelinks on it though. My plan was just to have a drive link or 2 taken out of it one of these days.

AJ

Back