Ok, you be the judge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What color was the chain oil he was using?

I am only commenting on the definite red mark on the piston and the trace on the pin as far as the dirko goes

Well, I sure the piston is gone by now, I won't be stepping back in their doors again anyway. So no need really arguing the point. I brought this one back for that new guy that started the other thread. If he buys the piston/cyl from me, heck I would put it in for him. Then we could do a
step by step teardown thread, and I will do better pics. See if his first dealer
gave him a good prognosis and all.
I took those last pics in the dark dungeon they called a shop, if this
guy takes me up on the offer, I will use better lighting, as that flash isn't
the best for closeups.

I am getting pretty durn quick on those 290s......

As far as the sloppy work goes, I agree. The guys on the 290 line are a bit
rough, that is the main reason I started selling the block as a complete unit.

It's those little things that are penny pinches to save a few cents per unit that drive me to distraction.

But all companies do that:chainsaw:

Hey Fish,
From the new guy,

I will let you know about the parts after this week. Although gonna be expensive to drive that saw to Ky from Maine. I even contemplated trying a rbuild myself. What a great way to learn.

Shipping to me wiithout bar/chain is @ $13, each way. Ask Dapper Dan.

I will likely be reselling the same parts again, so my offer will still stand.

If you do it yourself, there is an army here to talk you through it. Just ignore
the ones that live up near Canada. Let us know............

Thanks for all the advise and help. (except for the naked guy) I hopefully will know more after tomorrow. This is an awesome site. I might install a second outdoor boiler just so I can cut more wood!

Well, what can I say?

The broken down fuel was cooked down to a reddish caramel/mollasses, if
a stray bead of sealant may or maynot have fell in the puddle of goo.

It took a lot of soaking of the pieces to get the goo off, they only warrantied
the bearings and seals and piston/cyl, they wouldn't go with the crank.
In the goo removal, I saw no signs of Dirko-damage. Also they covered
a new fuel line/filter, as they were screwed. Never could get the putrid
smell out of the tank though. Went through the carb too.

Rubber damage? Reddish color? Are you sure that guy didn't mistake his 2 cycle mix with tranny fluid?

Amusing all this. I have a smattering of 2-stroke brands here, and they all get the same gas/oil. Super (no ethanol) gas and 45:1 Castrol 2T oil. I use that stuff, because it is available for cheap at auto parts stores, comes in quarts, and it is rated FB. Even Echo only has FC rated oil now... along with a lot of others. I no longer use Stihl or Husky oil, 'cause they do not certify them to any standard. So there is no knowing what's in there.

I also add gas stabilizer, but we use all these tools so often there is no reason to. I have a Homelite blower that I bought 20 years ago and stored (empty; light oil coating in the cylinder) for 15 years, and after all that time it fired right up. The Stihl FS85 weedeater tends to sit for months, and runs fine on old or new stabilized gas. The Echo chainsaw is the same. That thing should have died 4 years ago. But it is still going.

All this being said, this looks like a straight gas issue. We have a 290 that is the little brother to the 310. It gets abused, and Stihl runs like a top. I have bought many a 2-stroke engine part on EBay that were scored. You should see the motor on the 250 I just got. Deeply etched... I will have to post some pix here. O/w it is a $300 near new saw. The seller admitted it was straight gas in the tank. Too easy to mess up mixing gas, and kids and wives mess things up. I have 2 one gallon containers here that are the ONLY ones that are used to fill all the 2-smokes with. I mix them myself. We have like 5 types of gas here on the farm.

Hey, maybe he ran it on diesel? :buttkick:

I have to agree wit you, on the old gas. I have never emptied my gas tanks, on anything here on my farm, except my Weed Wacker. I drain out the gas in it, if it is more than half to 3/4 full. anything less than half, I just top it up with fresh gas. I've never had a problem yet, with any of my 2 cycle engines.
I tried to run my Boat Motor with old Gas/Mix one time, it just ran sluggish. I found out later that the Gas/Mix was mixed up 2 Years Prior. I put new Gas/Mix in the tank, and the motor ran fine.
The big difference between the Boat Motor, and Chain Saws, Chain Saws run at RPMs of 3600, while Boat Motors, run at way less than a chain saw. Same as a 2 cycle lawn mower, has low Rpms as well.
Now I use Stihl Oil. When I went to Stihl to become an Authorized Factory Service Technician, I learned that Stihl 2 Cycle Oil, was made by Castrol Oil. Castrol Oil, had printed of a Pamphlet, stating that Oil Is Not Oil.
They said that the Formula that Stihl has, for their recipe, for additives, surpases pretty much any 2 Cycle Oils on the Market today. Since I can no longer get McCulloch 2 Cycle Oil, I switched over to Stihl Premium 2 Cycle Oil. Bruce.

It's those little things that are penny pinches to save a few cents per unit that drive me to distraction.

But all companies do that:chainsaw:
I have to agree with you there. It's what I call the I Don't Care attitude that Bits the Factory Owners,and the Employees in the Butt after a while.
And the Employees complain that the Factory Looses the Contract to manufacture parts, for another Factory, or Manufacture and because of that, the Factory Closes the Doors. Well it's No Fault But Their Own. The Employees, I mean. Bruce.

Shipping to me wiithout bar/chain is @ $13, each way. Ask Dapper Dan.

I will likely be reselling the same parts again, so my offer will still stand.

If you do it yourself, there is an army here to talk you through it. Just ignore
the ones that live up near Canada. Let us know............
Hey, Hey Now. Don't go and pick on US Canadians. A lot of us know what we are doing, and talking about too. Bruce. By the way. Very Interesting Thread Fish. I've learned a lot about something new, again.

I'll chime in late here and say what's on my mind.
Let's say the fellow bought fresh, high vapor pressure winter gas in February and mixed it up. Let it sit someplace hot all summer in an open vented gas can and then tried to use it in September.

It could be a combination of whatever oxidizing agents were in the fuel overwhelming whatever antioxidants were in the "stabilized" oil, plus the fuel evaporating all summer and condensing down into sludge. Did I mention that I hate high vapor pressure oxygenated gas?

I'll chime in late here and say what's on my mind.
Let's say the fellow bought fresh, high vapor pressure winter gas in February and mixed it up. Let it sit someplace hot all summer in an open vented gas can and then tried to use it in September.

It could be a combination of whatever oxidizing agents were in the fuel overwhelming whatever antioxidants were in the "stabilized" oil, plus the fuel evaporating all summer and condensing down into sludge. Did I mention that I hate high vapor pressure oxygenated gas?

Yes, the newer gas is the problem, for sure.
But the "quandry" of this thread, is/was it Stihl's fault/warranty??

I brought it back up to augment another thread, but I am glad you
posted here, as I am getting real tired of reposting all of this "info".

I heard one could get into trouble reviving old threads, so I goaded some of you to do my dirty work. I will/can not spend the hours regurgitating
info I posted long ago, posting on an "old" link is easier.
But I heard that that practice was "bad".

But since every one else does it, what the hell?

It wasn't the thread I was looking for, but still a good one.

All the elements of a good thread, a little gratuitous sex and violence to boot!

Back